Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Collecting Original Art - The Beginning (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

Blair, I still can't believe it!
Back to Top profile | search

Sebastien Roy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

Dan Marcoux - what a piece and what a price! wow...
Back to Top profile | search | www

F. Ron Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 3  

The first piece of comic art I purchased was a strip -- a Terry and the Pirates from the time when Milton Caniff and Noel Sickles shared a studio. There's no end to the debate as to whether Sickles ghosted on any Terry strips but if he did, I like to think the one I picked up --dated April 21, 1936-- is one of them.

The first, and only, comic book page I purchased is a Darwyn Cooke from New Frontiers:

Pardon the crappy photo. The page is as white as the day it was drawn. Any strange surface-y stuff are reflections off the glass.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

My first original comic book page was a Don Heck Giant Size Avengers 4 pg.3 As it turned out I was in a comic store, this page was hanging in plastic on the wall, with a price of $15. I picked it up in the late 70s.

----

Edited to fix formatting - JB

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 14 January 2011 at 1:13pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

I met JB and bought my first piece of original art in the same day! </P>

1998: Jim Warden introduced me to John at a Orlando comic con. Before I could lift my jaw off the floor, John opened the satchel he was holding and said, "Oh! I have something for you..." and pulled out the original art from this cover...

...one of my favorite memories EVER!

A collector once offered me 4 thousand dollars for the art. No way. I am NEVER parting with that piece!

••

Pretty good offer for a piece of art from a series everybody hated and nobody read.

Sebastien Roy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

The prices some of you guys paid years ago for original art is insane (in a good way).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 7  

Mr. Byrne----If I may ask, of all the artwork you own from fellow professionals/idols, what original piece still gives you that fanboy feel(for lack of a better phrase)? Thanks, Brian Morris

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

Mr. Byrne----If I may ask, of all the artwork you own from fellow professionals/idols, what original piece still gives you that fanboy feel(for lack of a better phrase)?

••

Pretty much all of them -- tho it's turned up a few notches for some. My 2 pages from FF 5, for instance. Or my page from BRAVE & BOLD 34.

Then there are the truly special cases -- like the recreation Dick Sprang did for me of the first page of the first Batman story I ever read. And, of course, the Joe Kubert Captain America piece Jim Warden commissioned for my birthday last year.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

The prices some of you guys paid years ago for original art is insane (in a good way).

••

I look at my Kirby Korner, and think about the $6000 I paid for my last Kirby purchase (before he died), and when that starts to hurt a bit, I think of the $15 I paid for my first Kirby purchase!*

Cost is one of the reasons I have lately stuck a toe into the waters of trading. When no money changes hands, it doesn't seem as painful!

––

*Which I no longer have, but traded for a PEANUTS daily that has vastly increased in value!

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

Mr. Byrne---Thanks for your response. It was because of my buying that above Heck Avengers page, that I started to really go into artist alley at the New York shows. My first convention original art purchases came from meeting Mr. Staton for the first time. He had a stack of his All Star Comic JSA artwork, I purchased a number of pages including the page where the Huntress revealed she was the daughter of the Earth 2 Batman to Wildcat. Mr. Staton introduced me to Al Milgrom, who was seated next to him and that is how I wound up buying the original cover to All Star Comic 70(the Huntress's first JSA cover appearance).

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

Removed comment since after rereading the thread, and although I enjoy the fantastic art mentioned and displayed, I think more space should be given to those whose passion is to collect original art.

Edited by Lars Johansson on 14 January 2011 at 2:49pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

remove all the others? Wha?
so confused.

Anyway, my first page was from Keith Pollard's Thor run. Got it from him in 1984, when I was 11. It was $6, and I still have it! Keith was at a local comic store doing a signing for Vigilante. He was the first comic artist that I ever met. Very cool. Soon after I got my first convention sketch, and after that I was hooked for life. geez, over 25 years of buying comic art. Wish  I had more money back then...

Although, my Dad was a designer for Ford. So I guess I've been "collecting" the drawings he did for me since I was a wee lad.

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version