Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 33 Next >>
Topic: Lord Rushton (1920-2011) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That's really fantastic -- very generous of your dad to host movie nights.  What a great idea to donate the collection.  And a wonderful tribute to that generous spirit to name the room after him.

After years of collecting, selling, swapping, and scrounging, I'm kind of proud of my library.  Especially the hard to find stuff that makes for a good DVD night - when you can turn people on to something they haven't seen.  It's so wonderful to hear how your dad shared is library, both when he was with his friends and as a parting gift.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

One of the things I will be posting here once I receive it is a pair of framed pictures my Dad put together of himself and his staff when he was City Clerk for Calgary, and the equivalent group circa 1902. The older picture is of about twenty stern faced young men standing around their boss on the steps of City Hall -- with one (or maybe two) young women looking very starched and proper.

The equivalent picture of His Lordship, circa 1980, also on those same steps, is Dad surrounded by a bevy of brightly befrocked ladies -- in sharp contrast to the older picture, Dad's staff was almost entirely female.

I'm sure the City Clerk in the 1902 shot would have been shocked!

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2011 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The media room sounds like a great tribute to your father's memory.

Edited by Marc Foxx on 20 January 2011 at 10:02am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2011 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"…a man's memory may outlive his life by half a year!"

Six months today, by the day (it was a Sunday) since Dad died.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2011 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I hope you have a good day and find some way to spend it 'with' Dad.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 10 July 2011 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This thread is a great remembrance of your dad, JB.  I like hearing the stories from when you were a kid, here and on your birthday thread.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2011 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I kinda hate it when people do this -- seems sorta pointless -- so this is the only time I will. . .

Today would have been His Lordship's 91st birthday.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2011 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My mom died on May 11th. She was going through liver failure and on hospice, so it wasn't a surprise, but its still hard to believe that she's gone forever. That's such an irrational mindset, millions and millions of people have died and will die, but the gravity and finality of it never really hits you until it happens to someone you care about. She was only 52.

It's nice to see that your dad had such a full and fascinating life, JB. 

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2011 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I know there's nothing that can be say or done to help. But all my thougths and heart goes with you, JB.
Since i lost my father long ago,i can imagine what and how you feel.
David

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 August 2011 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Arrived this week a Big Box o' Stuff -- those of my Father's effects I wanted sent on to me. (Thanks to Forum member and pal Paul Gibney, for his part in expediting the shipping of this material to me.)

This proved a real treasure trove of memories, including the pictures of two "generations" of City Clerks I mentioned up thread, and which I whipped off to the framers before I remembered I'd said I would scan and post them here. Oh, well! When they come back!

Some of the items were remarkable! It seems like my parents were, to some extent at least, pack rats. The box contained both my mother's and my father's birth certificates, as well as my father's Student Union card from when he was 16! Mom's birth certificate confirmed that her mother's maiden name was Heaton. There had been some debate, over the years. Gran'ma, with her Black Country accent, pronounced the name without the H, so we were not entirely sure whether it was Eaton (a more common name). Nobody thought to check the birth certificate, obviously. Probably forgot they still had it!

Quite a bit pertained to our various trips across the Atlantic, which allowed me to finally put the ships in chronological order. The Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mary and lastly the Ivernia. (A small validation, here. A few years back, my father started insisting that it was the Saxonia on which we had made our first Atlantic crossing, but I was sure it was the Elizabeth. Documentation in this accumulation of papers confirmed my memory.)

One little flash of nostalgia came from finding a small orange card on which was printed an announcement from the Canadian Pacific Railway, inviting passengers to try their new Cafeteria Car. It was in that car that I, at age 7, had my first fried egg sandwich. I saw it on the menu, and wondered what it was. (I knew what fried eggs were, and I knew what sandwiches were -- but both at the same once?)

A small jewelry box, such as might at one time have contained cufflinks, was filled with old British coins, including three big pennies so worn as to be little more than copper disks. On one, the date was JUST readable -- 1863!!!

Missing was a photo of my father's parents, taken on their wedding day, that I recalled seeing once, many years ago, but not since. I guess that's gone forever, now.

Also in the box (packed separately) were three porcelain jugs/pitchers, embossed and glazed with scenes from Shakespeare. I think these were anniversary presents to my parents, for 1, 2, and 3. I know that were a presence (no pun intended) in my life right back to the beginnings of my memory. One of them was shattered into about eight pieces, but this was less of a tragedy than it might sound. Having all crossed the Atlantic three times, each had been shattered and glued back together more than once, and the breakage in this case was along existing "fault lines". Gluing it back together was easy enough.

One surprise was a stack of about twenty five birthday cards -- from my FIRST birthday!! There were also congratulatory cards and telegrams from my birth, AND my parent's wedding (which were eighteen months apart, thank you very much!)

Pictures of Dad in India, in uniform, and some pics of Mom and a couple of her girlfriends from just after the War rounded out the collection. Also a picture of a young woman in Naval whites, sitting on a bench on a street corner in a vaguely tropical looking city. I remember my Dad talking about a brief but torrid romance he'd had in Durban, South Africa, while en route to India. I wonder if this was her?

And one picture of Mom, in a rather daring off-the-shoulder one piece bathing suit, sitting on the stoop of one of our apartment residences, with me in trunks (and sneakers!) looking about eight, with another woman and two young kids. Not sure who those other people are. So, of course, there was that momentary muscle-memory of almost reaching for the phone to call Dad and ask him!

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Very nice!

I still have the box of my father's things from after he died. I have only opened it once, but now that my brother and his wife HAD A BABY TODAY it may be time to open it again.

Edited by Ted Pugliese on 05 August 2011 at 8:52am

Joe Martino
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That is amazing that you were able to get all of that and that you are able to peer back through your parents and your own history.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 33 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version