Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 33 Next >>
Topic: Lord Rushton (1920-2011) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Can't believe I haven't visited this thread before!

I am very sorry for your loss, John. You seem to be handling things well -- hope you're ok.

It's fun seeing the photos of your dad (and mom) :)

BTW I still love the story about how you "taught" your father to draw glass.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Egg salad sandwich......I never heard that one before. But I can't wait to tell it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

BTW I still love the story about how you "taught" your father to draw glass.

••

For those who may not be familiar with that one. . .

When I was between 10 and 15, my father supplemented the family income by working in the evenings as a freelance architect.* There are many apartment buildings in Edmonton that he designed. He had his "office" in a large (6'x9') walk-in closet in our apartment when I was around 13.

One day, he was working on a front elevation of an apartment (that's a flat drawing of the front of the building) and as I passed he stopped me, saying he could not figure out how to make the windows look like glass. Knowing he and Mom did not approve of my comicbook reading, I summoned up my courage and said "In my comic books, they do it with three or four angled lines." He turned and held out his mechanical pencil to me. "Show me."

I drew the appropriate lines in one window, and he saw what I meant. He took back the pencil, did a few practice strokes, and then finished the job to good effect.

Something less than a decade later he gave me his drafting equipment, including that pencil, and I went on to use it to draw all my issues of WHEELIE AND THE CHOPPER BUNCH, DOOMSDAY PLUS ONE, SPACE: 1999, IRON FIST -- oh, yeah. And a couple of books called X-MEN and FANTASTIC FOUR. (A few AVENGERS thrown in there, too.)

The pencil finally broke (I think the spring gave out) a few years back, and I framed it, with appropriate dates (Dad had bought it in 1956) and hung it on my studio wall.

_____

* This was in the days when "Two Income Family" meant the husband had two jobs!

Brian Deuser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

What a wonderful story.  Thanks for sharing the fine memory!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, that was a Faber-Castell right?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Your father's passing has reminded me that we are quickly coming to the end for that WW2 era generation. 

These stories are bringing back a flood of memories for me.

I was lucky to have grown up with both sets of grandparents and they were very involved in my life.   I consider it a great blessing that I had all my grandparents up until I was 19 and my last one passed when I was 39.

Both Grandfathers bookend JB's dad, one being born 1919 and the other 1921.  Three grandparents have been gone over 20 years now, but my Grandma Brickley was the last to pass back in 2006.  They were the Greatest Generation, an amazing bunch and I miss them all very much.   RIP Lord Rushton.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Studies have shown a disturbing likelihood of a link between older fathers and autistic children. I don't have any right to take that risk.

It's still only a less than 1% risk, not that I'm trying to get you to have kids just saying...

Oh and I just told that joke to someone last month, I often wonder when I tell a joke how often it gets retold until it stops hmmm

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB - not sure if it brings you sadness or comfort to share stories and anecdotes about your dad, but I really enjoy reading them.

I like to hear stories of people's lives, in general, and in a case of someone passing, I especially do, to celebrate their life, in a way.

I've enjoyed the ones you've shared so far, and if it's not a negative thing, would be honored to hear more.

Hope all is well.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Studies have shown a disturbing likelihood of a link between older fathers and autistic children. I don't have any right to take that risk.

++

It's still only a less than 1% risk, not that I'm trying to get you to have kids just saying...

••

My friend Sue is a school psychologist, and she would be inclined to disagree. There is something of an "epidemic" of autism in American schools just now. Partly due to improved diagnostics picking up kids who in bygone days would have been simply "retarded". But partly due to older fathers with second and third families.

And, in any case, 1% is not nearly so small a risk number as we might like to think. If belonging to this Forum was fatal in 1% of cases, nine people would drop dead. Think about that.

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks for sharing all the great stories JB.  Nice to get to know your father a little bit and get some insight into your past.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

In the name of Full Disclosure, I don't want to create the impression that everything was Sweetness and Light in the Byrne household. There was plenty of marital discord between my parents over the years, and as an only child I was frequently buffeted against those rocks. Plus, my parents were of that "generation" who had been instructed to think of American comic books as pure crap, so they were never happy with my hobby, and it took a while for Dad to embrace my choice of profession. For several years he identified me as a "commercial artist" to anyone who asked. It was not until I did Spider-Man that he came 'round. Then he was able to say "My son draws Spider-Man."

So, yeah, plenty of happy memories -- but also plenty of scars in the deep places. You know. Just like everybody else!

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2011 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As an only child myself, I can say that one often feels like the third person in the marriage, rather than feeling like offspring.  Many, many times I wished that I'd had a sibling to help me cope with a household in which shouting is the primary form of communication.  There were happy days, but plenty of yelling, too.

<< Prev Page of 33 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version