Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9
Topic: Comics in the News (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 January 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think there are still lanterns for camping and such.  They're just electric rather than gas powered.  But no, it's certainly not a common word nowadays.  According to the Google Ngram Viewer, "lantern" peaked around 1900.  Now it's at about the same level it was in 1800.
Back to Top profile | search

Wes Wescovich
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2011 at 3:45am | IP Logged | 2  

I have had a few non-comics reading friends ask me about the impending death in FF.  My favorite one said, with a completely straight face, "You read all this stuff.  Who's going to get killed off?  Stretch Man, Invisible Girl, Fire Man, or Rock Man?".  I guess those movies didn't quite do the trick, after all.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2011 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 3  

My friend works art half price books and she STILL gets people asking "So is Superman still dead?"

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2011 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 4  

"Lantern is kind of an archaic word.   Not really in common use in everyday life.   The hero has kind of taken over the word."

As someone who designs 'lanterns' (both fun toy lanterns and serious camping lanterns) almost every day I would suggest you could be wrong.

Peolpe who use the word 'lantern' around me wouldn't know who Green Lantern is if he stood up in their wedding.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2011 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

I work at a store that sells camping lanterns, mostly the kind that have a radio built into them.  We sell tons of them during camping season.  I would definitely say that the term "lantern" is far from archaic.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

"I have had a few non-comics reading friends ask me about the impending death in FF.  My favorite one said, with a completely straight face, "You read all this stuff.  Who's going to get killed off?  Stretch Man, Invisible Girl, Fire Man, or Rock Man?".  I guess those movies didn't quite do the trick, after all. "

I won't worry about it. There has been two of those.  We just had seventeen weeks of 32 teams playing football. I have many friends that can't tell you who is in the playoffs let alone name four members of the teams.

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

I stand corrected.   Kind of glad I said it, though, so I could get educated a little bit.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

I saw the newspaper article too.  So much for Quesada's departure helping to do any healing to the Condo of Concept.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't think the effect of Quesada's departure will be really known for a few months, but given the stuff Axel Alonso's presided over, yeah, I don't expect any major change of policy. 

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

"You read all this stuff.  Who's going to get killed off?  Stretch Man, Invisible Girl, Fire Man, or Rock Man?".  I guess those movies didn't quite do the trick, after all. "

This is a bit OT but my wife takes great glee in getting the names of the Fantastic Four wrong.  To her, they are Flamer, Graysides, Elasti-Girl (name AND power wrong) and Rocky.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2011 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 11  

Ever since I was a kid, my non-comics chums have called them Rubber Man, Rock Man, Fire Man, and Invisible Woman.  I guess Sue has the most perfectly descriptive name of the four, eh?  Even "civilians" get her name right.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 9
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version