Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Comics in the News (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

These are the ennui-engorged fanboys who have pretty much ruined the game, since they have largely taken over the PRODUCTION of the work, as well as the consumption.

I've noticed JB say something along these lines a few times. I had not really deconstructed my dissatisfaction with modern superhero comics, but the more I've thought about it lately, I think he is right on target. (After looking up the word "ennui", I know he is right!) To be honest, as a comic reader since the early 70's, I knew that of course I had changed/grown over the years, but I still enjoyed reading comics, or at least mostly did. I grew disenchanted with some of the "freedoms" given to the writers that took existing characters in directions that (for me at least) made them exclusively more of a club for long time readers who want their characters to "grow up" with them.
I don't mind, and in fact hope for, more mature (in the best sense of the word) material, but let that be with characters of their own creation. I don't need Luke Cage having anal sex in a Marvel comic. For me, Luke Cage is still that guy that exists in a PG world fighting Spider-Man & drawn by Romita Sr. or is pals with Iron Fist, by JB and Dan Green.
I have only recently re-discovered this site after being away for a few years, but I've really enjoyed "catching up" reading some of the threads and especially looking at the commissions. And the truth is that I have had far more "Wow" and "Cooool" moments the last few months clicking on each of the JB commissions than I have the last few years of reading comics. Sincerely--no flattery to JB here--opening up each of his commissions, sketches, even single character/no background commissions---it has been like discovering a treasure chest of what I have loved about comics. His illustrations evoke some of the most fun ideas for stories---stories that would work for kids and adults alike if done right. So maybe I actually have found a new outlet for the old comics fan in me--this site.

Sorry for the longwindedness---guess this topic hit me pretty strong.

Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

The commissions give me the same sense of wonder I once got from
lots of comics. Now, it's just a few things, but the commissions blow
'em all away.

Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 1:54am | IP Logged | 3  

I've never heard of the Sentry before this thread. Before it was explained that this is a character Marvel is trying to promote, I assumed it was one of those things where the newspaper reporter hadn't read comics in a long time and could only remember one other character besides the Hulk.

As for the doomsaying, I actually get some comfort from the commiseration about the state of the industry here. I used to feel alone in worrying about that kind of thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

John Byrne wrote:
These are the ennui-engorged fanboys who have pretty much ruined the game, since they have largely taken over the PRODUCTION of the work, as well as the consumption.

One of the signature characteristics of these pinheads is that they have lost all connection to the fans they themselves used to be. They have forgotten what it was that drew them into fandom in the first place -- and you can be sure it wasn't the constant disruption of the status quo.

Illusion of change demands a very careful balance being maintained, like walking a tightrope. It also helps if the readers don't hang around longer than they are supposed to. (How can you tell when it's been too long? When the basic conceits of the form generate in you a sigh of annoyance rather than a smile of recognition.)

Cast this thinking into other forms. "O My God! Why does LAW & ORDER have to ALWAYS be about some crime having been committed? Can't they do something ORIGINAL?"

Law & Order is an excellent example of episodic television, "one and done" tales.   You can watch an hour show and feel like you got one complete, if short, story.   I had the experience a few nights ago watching a few episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation my son had recorded on DVR on a SiFy marathon.   One episode, the ship produces a new life form from nodes that coalesce from various ship systems that moves on with its life after causing various complications.   Another, Worf is moving through parallel changing universes and is the only one who notices reality altering.   Both episodes, hell every episode, you are left pretty much right back where you started.   All set up for the next episode.   Watch them in any order, they are equally enjoyable.

Now I know you are not as much of a fan of the Next Generation series as the original, Mr. Byrne.   Just my time period that that is the show I am the more familiar with.   My loss.   Someday I'll see all the original series episodes.   Original series probably exemplifies the concept as well or better than TNG.   Law & Order is the best mainstream non-nerd example.   TNG is a great example probably highly familiar to many here on the forum.

Anyway, how about this one?   "Oh my god!   Why does Star Trek always have to be about some hour-long space adventure epidode?   Can't they do something original and different?   Mature?   Maybe throw in a few F-bombs?"

Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 5  

Unfortunately, Star Trek: TNG's reset principle was ammunition for its opponents, who would point to, say, Babylon 5 and its ongoing stories as being inherently superior.

I say both approaches are valid, and TNG's universe did change slowly over time. It's not as if anyone was watching the episodes out of order and saying "Huh?! Who's this 'Lieutenant Yar' person? What happened to Ensign Ro?" since that does not affect an episode's ability to tell a complete story.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 6  

I'm sure that che so named "civilians" are the lest interested in all of this hype. Take the death of Superman, or the clone saga, any big event you want.

Fanboy's reaction

"Oh, soooo cool, and I was there when it happened!"

Civilian's reaction

"No ideas anymore, huh?"

Based on my personal experience, of course.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 7  

I thought they typical civilian reaction was "They still make comics?"

Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 8  

Or "Five dollars for a comic book?! When I was a kid they were fifteen cents!"

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 9  

Around here, the typical reaction to "The Death of Superman" news--after
"They still make comic books?!?"--was "Hey, they're going to kill Superman!"
Most civilians I know thought it was going to be a permanent thing. In fact,
when "Superman Returns" was being hyped to be a summer blockbuster, lots
of folks around me were saying, "Isn't Superman dead?" My answer: "Um, he
got better."

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 10  

Your friends didn't realize he was fictional?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 11  

Wait... What are you saying, Brian? That Superman is... Wait. What??

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 12  

He got better.

Well, I suppose being on life support since the early nineties is better than being dead...

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version