Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Comics in the News (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

I have to say I have enjoyed HIckman's run on Fantastic Four quite a bit so far.  I will read it to see how it goes.

I do agree that the quip about it not being on the news stands is (and obviously has been this way for a while) the worst part.  Even if someone read that story and was interested in reading it would they put the work in to actually try to find it?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was just rolling with your metaphor about that "young relative," Francis. If you want to save the industry, those are the places where the next generation is hanging out. Here, it's more a matter of commiserating with the disenfranchised.

Commiserating has its place, too. Just seems to me it becomes a matter of sustaining misery at a certain point.
Back to Top profile | search

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

For the guys who've been reading Hickman's run, do the characters feel right to you? And are there any of the excesses of modern Marvel? That creeping cynicism, for instance, or graphic violence?

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

The characters seem like the characters to me. In fact, this "3" storyline is the first time in Hickman's run that the book has felt remotely connected to the more Bendis-and-Millar-flavored Marvel Universe--and, really, that's been more in external descriptions, rather than in the book itself.

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 5  

Tim, what is it that you object to, exactly?   Is it the fact that I posted the story, or is it my comments on the story?  

If it's the former, I'm obviously not the person you should be upset with.   "Don't blame the messenger?"

If it's the latter, feel free to disregard my comments and post all the "positive" or "neutral" comments you want.

Michael Wolner Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 6  

I gave Hickman's FF run a try, like I give all new writers a try.  The first story was alright.  After that it was all down hill for me.  The book came across as slow and boring.  I haven't read an issue in quite a few months.  This "death" of one of the FF isn't at all interesting to me.  

Edited by Michael Wolner Jr on 29 December 2010 at 6:29am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 7  

Aw, forget it, Francis. It's Chinatown.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 8  

sigh...

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Cole wrote:
This is what happens when stockholders start calling the shots.

I guess I hadn't thought that might be the source of demands to do something that might boost sales.   That theory makes sense also though.   My thought was not enough supervision, not too much.

Edited to fix my Forum Codes.

Edited by Francis Grey on 29 December 2010 at 3:20pm

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

Maybe this is the beginning of a media splash to promote a new "Sentry" solo title?   I mean, why the heck mention the Sentry.   No one knows who that is.   Isn't the point of communicating with a mass audience to use words and references they will understand?   And who is the Reporter who passes along the quote or press release as is?   Isn't it the job of the Reporter to write the story so the audience will know what is being talked about?   I mean, more people have heard of the Sub-Mariner than the Kree Sentry.   Or is there a different Sentry I don't know about?   How about "more might than the Incredible Hulk and the Sub-Mariner combined" or something like that?   That might mean something to a few more people than a mention of the Sentry.   What the ***unintelligible***

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's not the Kree Sentry.

It's a Superman-esque character introduced back in the 90's. Marvel keeps trotting him out, trying to make him catch on, but the fans won't bite. I'd say most of them dislike him at best.

And now he's dead, so no solo series.

As far as "killing" off one of the FF...that's nothing new. Characters have been killed off and revived for decades. Part of the biz.

The poly-bag is just a cheesy marketing scheme. At least my Death of Superman issue came with a black arm band.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2010 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

I read the first issue of Hickman's run. It bored me enough that I honestly can't remember what the story was.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version