Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Comics in the News (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

So let me guess, the dead character comes back to life in a double-sized 600th issue...

*yawn*

Back to Top profile | search

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

Not quite sure what you're saying, Francis. If the industry's indeed doomed, I still think it's maybe unhealthy to devote so much time to talking about how doomed it is.

"We're doomed."

"How doomed?"

"Reaaaaally doomed."

[repeat]

It's just so damn dire. As dire as the superhero comics we're often put off by. Drown yourself too much in that ethos and you'll become this person:

Maybe the end is nigh, but do you want to spend the end times walking around promoting misery? Is it helping you or helping anyone?

Mike Norris wrote:
Tim, I keep hoping you'll start a thread/post with "Good news everyone..."

I try not to be so on the nose about it, but I did post a pretty sweet George Perez interview yesterday!

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

If you see a train coming, is it considered negative to suggest that people may want to move away from the tracks?

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

Do you think these posts are moving anyone off the tracks?

I should say, I hope this isn't coming off as a personal attack on you. Maybe it's just the holiday season pushing me to try and find more positive outlets, even for things that frustrate, and I'm surprised at how down this board can make me feel sometimes.

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 5  

I would be pretty egotistical if I thought that I was going to singlehandedly turn around the comics industry through my insightful and prescient comments.   But I would be dishonest to paint a picture prettier than the one that I see.   I wouldn't feel at all bad telling a young relative that he'd run his car into the ground if he went 50,000 miles without an oil change.

I'm firmly convinced that positive changes could be made if decisionmakers pursued an aggressive course of returning comics to their rightful brand, targeting all ages, broadening distribution, and telling imaginative, compelling, exciting, inspiring stories of heroism. 

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Running with the car metaphor, I think the reason it seems rather futile to me is that I don't think what's going on here amounts to warning a young relative about car maintenance. Rather, you're talking to a bunch of old timer mechanics who already agree on the topic. It's preaching to the converted.

Warning a young relative would be posting on CBR or Bendis's message board or Warren Ellis's board.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

To me this is really more non-news than news (even with this being in a newspaper).  Nothing different than what has been going on for quite a while.  It also won't be news when this character is brought back.

I kind of agree on the points being made.  Francis is right that things could be A LOT better especially comics being aimed for everyone, less events, more accessible, etc.  Tim has some points too I think.  I don't ready nearly as much as I did but what I do I really like.  Solid superhero books from both Marvel and DC.  Unfortunately it isn't across the board that there is good storytelling (especially the X-Men books....Yikes). 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

By the way, has anyone here read Hickman's run? I've heard good stuff on it, but the one or two times I've tried Hickman comics, he seemed like more of an idea-monger than anything else. I didn't feel his stories and characters were very compelling.

Still, I've heard enough good about his FF run to be curious. I gather it's a fairly sci-fi approach.

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't go on any of those sites.   This is the only site I go on.   I enjoy the Forum very much for the commonality I feel with many posters with shared interests and opinions.   I consider it very much to be a community, and it is a community I have chosen to become a member of.   Mr. Byrne's storytelling has inspired thousands upon thousands of fans, and here we are all united in our passion for his work.

I could give a rat's behind about any of those other sites.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

I've enjoyed Hickman's FF thus far. I'm intrigued by this upcoming
storyline, but cautiously so. The newspaper story is rather odd, though-
-as is the direct-only approach to the final issue.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

Yawn. 

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

Go Crusade on Bendis or Ellis or CBR . . . what's that anyway?   Why would I waste my time on that?

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version