Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Bitter? Moi? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

I have seen comics, an entertainment form once intended for the widest possible audiences, and an entertainment form to which I have dedicated most of my adult life, turned into a niche market exercise in mutual masturbation for aging fanboys and ennui engorged bungee jumpers.

There's no more pointed synopsis of comicbooks' wrack and ruin over the past quarter century. The diction is colorful but not the less accurate for being metaphorically brutal. The man is, as stated, angry.

Yet the JBF is hardly his tool for merely publishing jeremiads, as even a casual perusal proves. And the above itself is no screed. Indeed, anyone reading it sensitively will discern as much sadness as rage.

Back to Top profile | search

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

I agree wholeheartedly with the general thrust of this thread.  A hobby which I have enjoyed (and learned a great deal from) for near enough 40 years has been eroded to the point where I hardly buy any new comics at all, and certainly not in continuity titles from the 'big two'.  Why? Well on the one hand it could be argued that a 44 year old man  with a family and the inherent responsibilities therein shouldn't be reading what is supposedly childrens entertainment. Fair point, but comics were always about the fun, escapism and excitment for me, the anticipation of new issues coming out once a month and the sheer wonder of it all, and being pleased and surprised by those new issues.  No spoilers or advanced fluff, just fun.  Then I read interviews with people like Brevoot on the news websites and I really get steamed, because these boneheads just don't get it.  I'd love to read Spider-Man or the FF or the Avengers or Superman, but my versions of these heroes just don't exist anymore.  In a Crisis like levelling, they have disappeared into oblivion. I wish it were different but it seems the PTB are uninterested in hiring the kind of talent required to return to those purer days.  Preferring those 'talents' who think it appropriate that heroes swear, use unnecessary violence and even use sex to tell their stories.  Whatever happened to putting the toys back in the box the way they were found?

Pissed and Angry.  You Betcha.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

Darren wrote: "...these boneheads just don't get it."

Perhaps that isn't the most constructive quote, but it helps illustrate how frustrating it is to watch the SuperHeroes we love disintegrate before our eyes.

We must rely on the current regime to shepherd our heroes' lives and we're forced to watch JoeQ destroy it with his hamfists. It doesn't have to be this way and when a comic legend like John Byrne complains, he gets labelled 'bitter'. What the hell is that about?

Thanks for speaking up JB!

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

Jodi,
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you.

JB's comicbook wisdom fits PERFECTLY alongside his comicbook criticisms.
The experience that he applies to the basics are essentially part of the wisdom he's aiming at the sad state of current storytelling.

Besides HIS forum is the perfect place for him to share HIS opinions.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Jodi: "If you have a problem with those in charge of Marvel write them and give them constructive criticism. As I said before, work within Marvel to change their direction by giving us good products to buy.  But railing against them in general terms in an open forum is something that should not happen."

JB didn't mention Marvel once in his post. You are totally doing the red sweater syndrome deal here.

JB you are a public figure unfortunately what you say takes on more meanings and weight. You don't have the luxury of saying whatever you want and it go unnoticed, the negative stuff you say, gets blogs written about it. Is it unfair, yes it is, but it is the nature of the beast.

From what I infer from JB's post, I hardly think having it go "unnoticed" is a wish of his.

What BETTER place to express an honest, heartfelt opinion on the industry in which he works (or, as he put it, has devoted most of his adult life to), than his OWN FORUM? He's not hiding behind any monikers or doing a drive-by comment and run on someone else's board.

Frankly, I'm glad that we are lucky enough to get the genuine, unfiltered Byrne point of view and that he's man enough not to tone it down or censor himself out of fear that something might get taken out of context. Newsflash: ANYTHING someone posts on the Internet, no matter how innocuous they try to make it, can (and will) be taken out of context, warped and/or misrepresented by those that have an agenda to do so. And if he feels like calling out those that do that (again, ON HIS OWN FORUM), more power to him. 

JB's got the guts to to tell it like it he sees it...and frankly, given his status and tenure in the industry, he's better fit to do it than you, me and most anyone else.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

Glad JB said what he said. Agree with him all the way.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

The thing is that JB's ideas only apply to a Marvel or DC
that are seriously interested in expanding the readership
base of comics beyond the tiny little niche that
currently passes for a fanbase.

At this point I don't see Marvel or DC doing this. They
will continue to pander to those that want dumbed down
monthly installments of Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns,
while the greater companies go all out with the far more
important (to them) movies, animated series, video games
and toys.* It's a lost cause, I'm afraid.

As a fan, I just want JB to continue to create quality
comics like he's been doing for IDW and obviously will be
doing with Next Men and Jurassic Park. In the past I've
missed out on quality comics, even some JB ones, because
I was too Marvel and DC minded. There are good comics out
there and there always will be. No matter how bad it gets
in the mainstream.

*I find it interesting and ironic that the heroes we love
still exist, but primarily in other media...which is
aimed at the widest possible audience! Ugh!

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thanks for speaking up JB!  I appreciate seeing a true professional (particularly one I hold in such personal high esteem) speak so bluntly about this issue.  Angry?  You have every right to be.  I'd like to thank you for sticking by your feelings and saying/ doing what you've felt was best for the industry.  

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

Frankly, I'm glad that we are lucky enough to get the genuine, unfiltered Byrne point of view and that he's man enough not to tone it down or censor himself out of fear that something might get taken out of context. Newsflash: ANYTHING someone posts on the Internet, no matter how innocuous they try to make it, can (and will) be taken out of context, warped and/or misrepresented by those that have an agenda to do so. And if he feels like calling out those that do that (again, ON HIS OWN FORUM), more power to him.

Of course it is OK with you Joel, you don't have blogs written about you saying you are a terrible person.  If JB wants to complain about an industry that has problems and give suggestions on how to improve it. I think that is great, constructive criticism is fine, but derogatory names don't help, it just pisses people off enough to go write blogs .  
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 10  

Many of JB's criticisms are very valid, but the problem is that a lot of people out there want you to sugar coat your comments so they don't hurt any feelings.  And many of the people in charge don't want to be told they're screwing up the industry.

His opinions may not always be right, but he certainly knows the industry as well as anybody out there - and is right on target more often than not.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

I Gave up on Marvel months ago due to the horrors that Quesada continues to inflict on the characters.Had every issue of Amazing Spider-man but it's just not the same character that's in the book anymore so I invest my entertainment dollars elsewhere after thirtyseven years.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

As I said before, work within Marvel to change their direction by giving us good products to buy. 

---

My solution was to just stop buying their current books, and to only purchase reprints of classic material, thus showing them that those items are what I want, while the newer items are not. 

This does two things. One, it actually affects them in a way my humble opinion can't (since they don't listen anyway), and two, it saves me money because I'm not buying shit. 

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version