Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Bitter? Moi? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

I don't understand why the characters have to be written in the current state that they are.

If you want to do a series that is for a certain age group, then you had the Elsewords, Epic and What If platforms too Illustrate those ideas.  

I can understand if the creators at companies like Image have their own ideas and directions for their characters. That is fine. I support that too and do what you will because those are "your characters", but the characters of the premier Marvel and DC line were not intended, for a lack of a better word "crass" portrayal.  

Too much in society is played now to the lowest common denominator. Looking for the "shock" and "gimmick" as opposed to something timeless.

One of my favorite comics of all time was the era of Roger Stern and John Buscema on The Avengers. Every story was timeless, there were no gimmicks, no deaths staged, no profanity. Just brilliant story and art that to this day is the best work I have ever read.  

It has been said that John Buscema did not like super-hero books. If that is true, I never got the sense that he needed to portray the characters in the realm of something outside of an all ages book.

I have heard creatives having their problems when editors insist on certain things, but maybe at times that is for the best, because it forces you not to take your first option and use your creativity to do some problem solving which may ultimately enrich the final product.

Gone is the suspense and wonder, because it is seemingly too much work, so shock is the thing, but unfortunately shocks and gimmicks are not timeless. Good art is. 

You can reprint and care about the Stern/Buscema Avengers, Lee/Kirby FF and Claremont/Byrne X-Men forever.  I have yet to care for the more shock and awe style comics. One visit to those books were good enough.  Maybe if timelessness and love were given to the books, or the practice of hiring people who loved the forum were practiced, then companies could enjoy benefits of stories that are timeless. Timeless and engaging stories that could be reprinted and enjoyed for years to come.

Edited by Eric Russ on 13 November 2010 at 11:20pm
Back to Top profile | search

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2010 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Eventually  ^^***** will announce a miniseries that is essentially about how far Spider-Woman can stick her ass into the air while prowling around on all fours.

This comes only after the mini-series where first they kill her off. 

Afterward, comes a new regular series with her returning from the dead with a new costume. Then we find out Jessica Drew was only one of many Spider-women engineered by Hydra.  Each one will have a different color costume and have a different venom blast. Hydra returns and tries to enslave our fearsome dark angels of the night.

Eventually they defeat Hydra (after a massive event spanning eight months and 25 cross-over titles).  Whereupon, they all move to Boise Idaho and open a detective agency.

Then when the new series reaches issue 37, M***** will renumber it to issue 200. 

The series will be cancelled with issue 225 due to low sales leaving a lot of microbrains at M*****, scratching their heads and wondering What The---?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 3  

Great new idea for a new exciting character: Spider-Lady!

She's a lesbian! .....and.....uh.....we'll eventually think of something else to sort of round that out.

Eventually.

Maybe..

The Press DARES to gasp out a question: "OMG are super hero comics REALLY ready for (yet) a(nother) lesbian super heroine (again) ?"

For that matter are the sloppy, clumsy, flailing, slap-dash "writers" of today's super hero comics ready?  Y'know, are they ready to produce some actual stories about the latest shocking cutting edge 'thingie-ma-bob' that they seem so proud of that tell us what's so great about the new character and will make people relate to her and distinguish her from other similar chracaters and want to read the book? Will they actually have anything put-together to sell us besides the 'hook' by the time the new chracter makes her debut? Does it even matter?(Huurrrr Nope!)

Just send out that promo because science tells us that "Cartoon + Lesbian" =" BIG $" and press coverage and fake controversy. It's automatic! Just draw a picture with some tits and put the word lesbian next to it and cha-ching! Big news that changes comics forever! (Some more).

Edited by Emery Calame on 14 November 2010 at 1:23am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 4  

This comes only after the mini-series where first they kill her off. 
Raped and then killed. Get it right.

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 5  

Shaun wrote:
If only Stan the Man would get good and angry once in a while over what's been done to his creations.  Maybe then, someone would listen.

Greg replied:
Speaking from recent experience (I met Stan!!!! Wow!!!!!), I think it it's safe to say that he's simply too gracious and too much of a class act to do something like that.

And so by inference, JB is ungracious and classless when he defends the characters Stan (with Jack and Steve and others) created.  He's getting reamed for defending Stan's "kids" while Stan smiles and evades pointed, legitimate questions about the industry.  I know that's not how you meant it, Greg, but that's a wee bit of a slap there.

JB is right to be angry about what's been going on in comics, and he's right to be angry about being defined as bitter.  Being called bitter means that others do more than disagree with his position, it means they dismiss his position as petty and unimportant. 

I agree with Shaun.  Stan Lee is the only comic-related personality who has a chance of speaking out against the current situation without being villified.  And even HE would be slammed by some. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 6  

I find it astonishing how comics, once an unfailing source of escapism and wonderment for me, is now a non-stop geyser of disappointment. I can't stand it anymore. Sorry, I am no longer a comic book fan. 

Blair Herd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 7  

Well put JB.  I stopped collecting a long time ago.  I have instead taken to collecting original works from my favourite artists like yourself of characters as I remembered them.  Frozen in time so to speak.
I must add though that the return of the Next Men has forced me into buying once again.  Can't wait for that occurrence...

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 8  

Stan is still getting money from Marvel, is he not?  And his corporate role has always been as Marvel cheerleader in chief.  I well recall when the Captain America movie of some years back came out, his saying that he wouldn't have thought to make the Red Skull an Italian, but it "really works."  I suspect he would be more candid today, but not about Marvel's current product.  The most critical thing you'll ever get is evasion.  Besides, its unlikely he reads the books.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 9  

I also dislike the fact that when someone asks where to buy comics I have to
tell them that the closet place is about 20 miles away and I'm not sure that
Spider-Man is appropriate for a child.
---
I recently mentioned here how I intended to give a bunch of comics (most of
them DC and Marvel superhero books) that I didn't want to some students.
Before, taking them to school, I decided to go through both boxes just to
make sure they were okay for kids. Sadly, I realized that most of them were
inappropriate for middle schoolers. Perhaps that's why those comics had
ended up in toss boxes in the first place...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 10  

You know, when I think about it, 90% of the comics that I read growing up were probably somewhere between a "G" and a mild "PG" (to put it in movie terms), and the remaining 10% were labeled "Mature Readers", and were maybe "PG-13".  I am still astonished when I leaf through modern Marvels and DCs and find tons of profanity, sexual references, gore, casual drug use.....sickening where this "all ages" medium has wound up.  We're pretty solidly into "R" territory, unfortunately.

Felicity Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 11  

"The Press DARES to gasp out a question: 'OMG are super hero comics REALLY ready for (yet) a(nother) lesbian super heroine (again)?'"

Followed by, "BIFF! POW! Comics Aren't Just for Kids Anymore!"
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 12  

Frank Miller wrote in one of his Sin City letters columns that he thinks Stan Lee's old soapbox columns were clever satires on what it meant to work for Marvel - and remember, this would be Marvel back when most of us thought it was great.

That is "bitter".

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version