Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Bitter? Moi? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2010 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

It is odd because I was contemplating this yesterday. I was wondering what Jack Kirby would have to say about what has been done with his many creations. I figured he would probably speak out and someone from Marvel would dismiss him as someone who has virtually left the industry the way JB was dismissed recently.
Back to Top profile | search

Frantz Kenol
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2010 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

No. You don't. For exactly the reason you said. You don't get to mess with my kids' Spider-Man or Hulk or Wolverine. You don't get to mess with their Avengers. You may want to, but sorry. The heroes belong to the kids. Peronsally, I know may way for the heroes to be ended a good 15 years ago. I no longer get any claim, and neither does anyone over the age of 21 (arbitrarily picked age)

Yeah, unfortunately that is the reality.
But here's the problem as I see it.
The changes are continuous.  It's not like OUR Hulk was replaced by another Hulk.  That would almost be ok, if the new Hulk was as appealing/attractive as the classic Hulk.
It would be our loss, but your kid's gain.
But on the contrary, what is happening is that Superheroes are subject to the latest whims of the latest artists.
so there IS no HULK. Your kids don't have A Hulk. They have rather the concept of a "hulk" like being. (or spider-like, etc)
If you look at the number of random Hulk incarnations over the past 10 years or so, there is no way your kids would mind changing the Hulk, because there is no Hulk.
To me that means the relationship will not be as strong for "your kids" ( modern fans) as it is for Old fans, who've followed their characters for decades.
That means, there is a real danger that soon, there won't be any (or very little) interest in these characters anymore and the industry will not be able to sustain itself.

btw, I am not trying to contradict myself with that statement.   While characters are subject to artist interpretations in modern comics, there is still a general style that modern comics have that classic did not. generally speaking, darker, grittier, more violent, more "mature", more serious, etc.....  going back to the old ways, or trying to respect the originals, would be a huge departure for modern fans who've been fans for 20 years.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2010 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marvel & DC should be custodians of these timeless characters, and keep their tales accessible to all ages.  They put these characters' likenesses on Onesies and bibs, for crying out loud!  

When I was a kid, they had EPIC and Vertigo for the PG-13/R stuff---why did they let the adult material seep over into the mainstream hero titles???  What about protecting the integrity of the brand?  Disney doesn't allow stories about Mickey anally raping Goofy, after all.  Gawrsh!

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 4  

Tony Midyett wrote:
why did they let the adult material seep over into the mainstream hero titles???

What's tricky is that there's no one decision point where that happened. In a way, Stan Lee himself kicked it off by introducing the "feet of clay" notion to his 60s heroes, bringing a new level of hipness to the genre. Comics started gaining a cult following in colleges and suddenly there were new pressures - not just to sell, but to be cool and sophisticated for that older crowd. That pressure for sophistication was probably quite appealing to the first wave of fans turned pro who always liked, say, Superman, but were starting to ask those adult questions in their mind.

Stan's sophistication goes on to begat the Death of Gwen Stacy, "Hard-Traveling Heroes," The Dark Phoenix Saga, Swamp Thing, Batman Year One, Watchmen, and so on. It's a complex chain of events, influenced hugely by the rise of the direct market, perhaps saving the industry, but further solidifying an older target audience.

It's just not true that Epic and Vertigo were the only places for PG-13/R stuff in the 80s. Two of Miller's best and darkest projects - Daredevil: Born Again and Batman Year One - took place in standard continuity. Swamp Thing, standard continuity. Colossus kills Proteus, standard continuity. Jarvis tortured by Mr. Hyde, standard continuity.

It's one of the reasons its hard for me to get mad at the fans and even some of the creators nowadays. Every generation of comic creators has pushed the boundaries that were themselves pushed by the previous generation. It seems insane to us that DC actually did a story where Dr. Light raped Sue Dibney, but I'm sure many a Silver Age fan or pro was just as appalled by Karen Page becoming a junkie and prostitute in the 80s or Speedy becoming a junkie in the 70s.

Edited by Tim Farnsworth on 23 November 2010 at 12:49am

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 5  

The problem is the fans. They don't want to let go of the
characters, but at the same time claimer for them to grow
up and be seen in more "mature" situations. But only
quasi-mature, of course.

If these older fans moved on to comics specifically aimed
for adults (like Vertigo and the late Epic) there would be
more of those types of imprints, the industry would have a
more eclectic mix, and the mainstream superheroes would be
in a much better state.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 1:40am | IP Logged | 6  

I don't think the problem is the fans. If anything, maybe the problem is that the direct market cemented the importance of preexisting fans versus new ones, but readers can only like what they like.

And if readers should've learned to restrain themselves, when should this have happened? When Batman Year One sold gangbusters? Or should readers in 1980 have turned up their noses at Jean Grey's seduction by Mastermind and subsequent death? Or was it Hard Traveling Heroes? I know I've seen reasonable arguments here that the death of Gwen Stacy was really the domino that started them all toppling.

If you enjoyed any of those stories - and I know most of us have - then we have our own patronage just as much to blame as the reader enjoying Identity Crisis or Civil War. Why didn't WE say "enough?" Why is it THEIR responsibility to say no?

I think we're scapegoating here and it's really not fair to the current generation. We're acting as if we were never in their shoes, never enjoyed Mike Grell's scanty Legion costumes or Wolverine killing Shingen or the excellently done Death of Captain Stacy.

I don't have a solution, but if we're going to blame the selfishness of fans, we should all start with ourselves.

Edited by Tim Farnsworth on 23 November 2010 at 2:48am

Simon Bucher-Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 7  

I liked Star Trek Nemesis....there I've said it.

Simon BJ

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't think the problem is the fans. If anything, maybe the problem is that the direct market cemented the importance of preexisting fans versus new ones, but readers can only like what they like.

••

Not being sarcastic or snarky in any way -- but, can you translate that? None of it makes any sense at all to me.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 9  

I liked it pretty well too, Simon.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 10  

John Byrne wrote:
Not being sarcastic or snarky in any way -- but, can you translate that?

No prob.

"I don't think the problem is the fans. If anything, maybe the problem is that the direct market cemented the importance of preexisting fans versus new ones, but readers can only like what they like."

It's awkward phrasing, but my intent was to point out that the direct market ended up catering to preexisting fans, replacing a newstand system that had been far more new reader friendly - but that doesn't make the fans wrong for liking what they liked. And once the direct market was up and running, we were pretty much locked into a readership of "lifers" and the hip, college-and-up crowd Stan had begun growing way back when, both of whom wanted increasingly edgy material.

I simply find it hard to condemn either audience because I see that material as a continuation of the same trends most of us grew up with. We're all culpable. It's just sad that the direct market fast-tracked those trends. With fewer new readers coming in, especially young ones, it seems there was little incentive to hold back.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 11  

I can agree with so much of this and, like Brad on the first page, have adopted a sort of "So what?" attitude towards those things with which I disagree.  I disagree, and move on.  If there's a debate, I give my reason for the disagreement and let those supporting the "other side" of the argument make their "excuses".

For now, I'm just satisfied with riding that nostalgia train.  If there are back issues available for characters, or by artists with whom I had grown up, I purchase them for the enjoyment.  What's been put out since the days when I was still a young comicbook reader is not of that universe.

I think, by the end of the day, the likes of Marvel and DC will probably be superceded by the works of individuals who'll just have to build the medium from the ground up well after the corrupted old structures have been destroyed.  There are simply too many of us who enjoy storytelling in sequential illustrations to give it up entirely, if we have the means of reading them.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2010 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 12  

I agree with Tim and Carmen, but only to an extent. I think as we get older, we do have a want for edgier content. I also don't have a problem with comics that cater to that market. That's why books like THE WALKING DEAD, THE AUTHORITY, SIN CITY, THE BOYS and PREACHER have come to exist over the years. As long as those books play in there own universes, more power to them.
It's a different story when a character or book has been pushed as all ages material for 35 years or more and then the publisher decides to make it more adult. Ed Brubaker is writing one hell of a good run on CAPTAIN AMERICA right now...for a twenty five year old. It reads like a Tom Clancy novel. But, I can't hand that book to a 10 yr old, nor do I think he would like it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version