I do, too. Mike Mignola is a talented guy. That said, Guy Davis and Duncan
Fregredo are doing an excellent job drawing his characters. In fact, I like
their visuals quite a bit more!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

If cross-overs mean dumping a great story like the Joshua tale in
Blood of the Demon, I say #*ck you to the big two!  

The thing I've never understood is why they have to have a total tie-in's across the line.  Drives me nuts to have let's say the Legion crossing over into something happening back in the 20th century.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

In the "Death of Spider-Man" discussion in another thread, there's this bit from Bendis:

“As a group and as individuals we have made a conscious effort to create stories this year that no one has ever seen before,” said Bendis. “I am very, very proud to be a part of this storyline and very proud of Marvel for even attempting such a bold endeavor. Sit back and watch as we unveil a storyline unlike any other!!”

This seems to be a key element in the mindset of today's writers--"We've got to do stories that have never been done before!".

Yeah, these sorts of stories haven't been done before...for good reason. Sure, bringing back Bucky Barnes had never been done before, but there was a reason for that.

It's easy to do stories that haven't been done before when the rulebook is thrown out the window.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 November 2010 at 10:42pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gene Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2010 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 5  

Forgive me - as I haven't followed comics in almost 20 years - but hasn't "The Death of ____" thing been done to (ahem) death?  

Seems like Superman, Batman, Captain America (just off the top of my head) have all croaked and been brought back.

Again, I'm way out of the loop, so please forgive my ignorance.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2010 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 6  

Indeed.  Describing the killing off of a superhero as "bold" or innovative is absolutely ridiculous.  In today's market such a storyline is the epitome of playing it safe... it is guaranteed to generate fanboy interest and a sales bump.  And it is also without a doubt the most cliched and predictable storyline imaginable.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 17 November 2010 at 12:41am

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2010 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 7  

a conscious effort to create stories this year that no one has ever seen before

Well, if you're "consciously" creating comicbooks directed exclusively at an audience that's hung around for a quarter of a century or even more, then both you and the audience might certainly feel like, "ah, yeah, well, we've seen all that before already, give us something new, man!"

Anyway, this comment stinks of "oh no, not Doctor Doom again!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 November 2010 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 8  

Whenever I read that a "Death of. . . " storyline is planned, I can't help but think that whoever is behind it is trying to bottle the lightning of the death of Phoenix, forgetting just HOW that particular story came to happen.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 9  

I've never understood the (perceived?) appeal of "the death of...". 

If I am reading a comic book about a character, what possible desire would I have for seeing them die?  It's the exact opposite, really.  Not only do I want to read about the character this month, I'd like to know that there will be stories down the road for as long as I want to read them.

Escaping death used to be what the story was about. Now death is just a device to exploit the reader and further the exposure of other characters.  Steel, Superboy, Vindicator and...I don't even remember the other one that came from the "death" of Superman. 

Obviously death has very little meaning at this point in the comics world but it does illustrate how the landscape of that world is saturated with dark overtones.  Death, rape, sex, blood, violence...I guess it's a fine line when dealing with good vs. evil but "they" have gone to a place that just isn't very enjoyable for me, especially when dealing with characters who used to be about idealism.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2010 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 10  

Sit back and watch as we unveil a storyline unlike any other!

Hyperbole and rampant self-promotion seems to be a staple of today's industry. I miss the days when a book would sell simply based on its cover and the promise of a good story.

Does that sound bitter? <g>

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2010 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 11  

I've often said that I believe certain writers come onto a title with a "kill list". A perfect example are Craig Kyle and Kyle Yost, I enjoy their animation work but don't read their comics. They have a ridiculously high body count in their comics (Nightcrawler's death being the worst). Phoenix's death was a shock because that kind of thing wasn't happening in every other comic on the market at the time. Alot of today's comic creators don't get that. 

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yesterday I noticed two comic book news items...first a new Green Lantern crossover among its three titles, and second Marvel is canceling Thor: The Mighty Avenger.  Neither of this items make me happy.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version