Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Multiple Versions of Characters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

When was Hawkeye known as the Golden Archer? Wasn't that just a Squadron Supreme doppleganger?
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

He was the Golden Archer in Captain America #179 - right before Cap became Nomad.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2010 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

Just in that one issue?

I'm right around when that happens in my ESSENTIAL AVENGERS right now. Hawkeye's not even in the book.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2010 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

Yep - just the one issue.

He returned to the Avengers just after that.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2010 at 1:17am | IP Logged | 5  

The multiple iterations tack was once more common at DC. Marvel has since closed the gap, I believe. Each company now contains a "multiverse" with a possibly infinite number of variations of every character.

DC for quite some time would do stories in which their heroes met an alternate version of themselves, which presented some sort of mystery the heroes needed to solve. These characters were usually one-offs (Anti-Superman, Negative Superman, Supermenace) or seldom revisited (Nightwing, Composite Superman) until the mid-to-late 70's when the writers (former fans) began reviving such characters more often.

Marvel currently seems to be engaging in genuine franchise building with its characters. Why, really, would there only be one Iron Man? Why shouldn't everyone in his cast enjoy the luxury, comfort, and firepower that a suit of armor brings? Also, the alternate reality bandwagon continues to power on, creating entire ongoing continuities, ala' the Ultimate line, MC2, Marvel Adventures, Marvel Zombies, Earth X, 1602, 2099, Spider-Man Unlimited, X-Men Forever, Marvel Tails... All of which seem designed to be potentially endless venues in which alternate versions of the Marvel characters can run free, unfettered by the constraints of mainstream continuity.

One-off Marvel storylines (are there really such things?) that visit alternate realities and futures are often filled with variant characters.The Avengers had a series of crossovers with a reality that was home to an alternate Vision, The Coal Tiger, etc. The New Warriors visited an Egyptian themed reality (Cpt. Assyria, Horus, et al), Alpha Flight visited a "bad" reality (Diamond Lil vs. Spider-Man "What are you, a freak? Do you get off on tying people up?" "Y'know... I never thought about it, but yeah... I do!" She then breaks his neck...) There's the future world of the Maestro, Avengers Forever (with literal armies based on each of the core Avengers), Mark Waid's FF "Worlds Apart," various X-Men futures, House of M, Age of Apocalypse, Mark Millar's recent run on the FF, Excalibur's "Cross-Time Caper"....

Theoretically, every issue of What If created one or more alternate realities, each populated with a complete complement of divergent counterparts. The Exiles and New Exiles visited a few of those, I think, and a whole host of others besides. Belasco's abduction of Illyana split off a reality in which there were alternate versions of Colossus, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Kitty. The New Mutants met "badass" future versions of themselves.

Massive crossovers like the Infinity War can yield a floodtide of lookalike demons, etc. Heroes Reborn gave us a universe of folks just slightly off-model their mainstream counterparts.

Of course, with the current Flash legacy,  three separate Legions, multiple Lantern Corps, Supergirls-a-go-go, and the upcoming International Batman franchising, DC could be trying to regain the top spot...

Edited by Brian Hague on 07 November 2010 at 1:32am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2010 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 6  

I also was attempting a list of mainstream variants, but Robert Bradley's puts mine to shame.

The only additions I can think to offer are the variants found in the Guardians of the Galaxy (Mjr. Victory, Rancor, etc.), Counter-Earth (Brute, Gaard), Earth-A (Reed Richards as the Thing, Jennifer Walters sleeping with the Juggernaut), robot duplicates (Albert, the Ameridroid), and a few random "knock-offs" (the Invaders Donar, the scientist who takes Ben's place in FF #50, Pepper Potts new role as "Rescue," etc.)

Edited by Brian Hague on 07 November 2010 at 2:03am

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 7  

Didn't Danny Rand wear the Daredevil costume briefly, a few years back?  

....And I was actually pretty surprised when I read in an issue of OHOTMU that Stark had, over the years, loaned his armor to numerous people for an issue or two.  There were even a couple of women on the list---here's hoping that the armor wasn't drawn with breasts......

With the new Pet Avengers franchise, we have a new avenue for character multiplication.  Poodles in X-Men uniforms, and so forth.

If we were to count team multiplication, the X-Men would almost certainly win, but the Avengers have a respectable second place, with their West Coast team, their teen team, their future team, Force Works, etc.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2010 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 8  

If we were to count team multiplication, the X-Men would almost certainly win, but the Avengers have a respectable second place, with their West Coast team, their teen team, their future team, Force Works, etc.  

Are you sure about that? Just think of everyone that has been an Avenger at some point. I think the Avengers wins hands down.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

Would the Forever versions of characters count as multiples? Kitty Pryde has
a Wolverine claw coming out of her forearm, true claws on the other, and can
now render herself "at rest" with the Earth a la Guardian. Surely that's not
the same character!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'd call the Forever books alternate realities, although they haven't been established as ones to which our mainstream heroes can travel. As such the company seems to be taking the position that they are instead separate imprints, wholly unrelated to mainstream continuity. Whatever the case turns out to be, the characters therein are not the characters as we we've been given them to this point, and thus "spin-off" or alternate versions. There's a Kitty Pryde in the "Wolverine: First Class" continuity as well who doesn't seem to be "our" Kitty. And a Kitty in the Super-Hero Squad. And in the Ultimate line. And the MC2 line. And a number of in-continuity "divergent reality" Kittys.

That's a lotta bang outta one formerly cute, bright, spunky 13-and-a-half-year-old who walks through walls.

Edited by Brian Hague on 07 November 2010 at 3:42pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

Tony Midyett wrote: "There were even a couple of women on the list---here's hoping that the armor wasn't drawn with breasts......"

Pepper Potts in her new role as Rescue:

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2010 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Are there any supporting characters left that haven't had, or once had, super powers???

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version