Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Here’s why Marvel won’t listen to us (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 1  

Ego- Board sounds like some sort of strange reality TV show thing...like immunity idol or something.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Randy Lahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 2  

This is part of the reason I quit buying new comics after 20 years of weekly visits to a LCS.  The arrogance from Marvel is astounding.  He could have answered the question without being insulting, but he choose the low road. 
I am so sick of Marvel telling readers they are wrong.  Doesn't he realize that 1) readership is down 2) JBF is part of that readership?  So why go out of his way to knock his own customers?

If you read through other questions its all more of the same.  When asked about late books, his answer is hollywood writers are better so there's nothing really that can be done for late books, its totally at the mercy of the late writers.
When asked about the teen titans and xmen, he can't pass up an opportunity to knock the Teen Titans.  Like the xmen are anything to brag about.  With the popularity of the xmen movies you'd think marvel would have capitalized on that, instead the x titles are a huge incoherent mess.   The only thing you can be certain from Marvel, each month they will relaunch an existing title with a new #1 issue.  Xmen just started over with #1, how long until Marvel uses some magical calculations to release Xmen #500 (then of course it will be back to #1 again).   

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 3  

When asked about late books, his answer is hollywood writers are better so there's nothing really that can be done for late books, its totally at the mercy of the late writers.

Ha! Hollywood writers are better? I wonder how many of us on this forum would go back to buying Marvel's book again if they were suddenly written by Byrne and Stern and Simonson and Thomas and Wolfman and a bunch of certain others who certainly aren't Hollywood writers. In fact, I don't recall Hollywood writers being involved at all during all those years when Marvel was actually SUCCESSFUL!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
He could have answered the question without being insulting, but he choose the low road.

Yeah. Even if this forum hurls insults towards his company, the professional response is not to hurl insults right back. I can't imagine Stan acting this way. The worst he ever did was poke fun at his competitors, not outright insult them.

QUOTE:
Doesn't he realize that 1) readership is down 2) JBF is part of that readership? So why go out of his way to knock his own customers?

Bear in mind that we're not the people that Marvel should be chasing, since we're just a subset of the aging (former) fanbase. But still insulting one section of that fanbase unnecessarily is just stupid.

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 5  

Maybe Brevoort has never lurked on the Weekly Pull-List Thread here, but there are TONS of folks who collect Marvel here - everything from Captain America to Avengers to Hulk to Uncanny X-Men. Week in, week out. 

I wonder how any of them feel knowing they're not worth listening to since they post about their comics here? You know, under a real name. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 6  

I was thinking that as well Brad.  Still a ton of Marvel is bought just from this forum.  I have said that I enjoy what I read from Marvel but it is very limited now.  Doesn't mean I can't hope for better days when a lot more of their books are worth picking up. 

If Brevoort doesn't like what I am, will, and have wrote about him I am not hard to find on the 'net!

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 7  

EGO: The Living Board.

Where's Thor when you need him?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 8  

I've seen enough romantic comedies to know that Tom Breevort secretly loves everyone at ByrneRobotics, but he won't tell us until he realizes one New Years Eve and runs through the streets of Manhattan in his pajamas looking for us.

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm going to call it even. He doesn't care what I think and I don't care to purchase his products anymore. I have enough good back issues to last me a life time.

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 10  

Don't worry,the mouse is entertainments equivalent to Galactus.
The worst is yet to come.Lo' the juggernaut begins to stir.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 11  

Here's a question. Hasn't Stephen King been writing a series for DC's Vertigo line recently? How is that selling?

Because if the most famous writer in the world isn't helping sell a ton of copies, that kind of kills the "Hollywood writers" argument, doesn't it? 

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

The most significant thing I took from all that is that they still think there is some miracle instant fix. They don't want to roll up their sleeves and do the work, put in the time, pay their dues as it were. And there's the rub.

I think JB's said it in here before, it's simply a work ethic issue.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version