Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22
Topic: Here’s why Marvel won’t listen to us (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2010 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm with Thomas - the Earth One series of Graphic Novels was always meant to be, well, a series. Of course they had to see if the first was successful to make sure the planned sequels would be worth it or if they'd be scrapped, but it's not like it's a surprise to anyone that there's going to be a follow-up.

My problem is, most of the reviews I've read and heard around the shop have been lackluster at best. I think it's selling like crazy not because it's particularly GOOD (since few seem to think so) but because it's new and everyone just wants to see what it's all about. 

The real litmus test for this format is the second and third volumes, much like the second and third issues of a comic. If it's hitting the same numbers - or slightly lower - with the third volume, then we can call Earth One a real hit. Right now it's an aberration. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 2  

I don't have a link for the article but if you search Comic Book Resources for news about "Earth ONE" or JMS leaving the monthly titles those articles both mention Earth One being a New York Times #1 best seller.

Newsarama's articles about JMS leaving the monthlies also mention this too.

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 12 November 2010 at 1:39am
Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm glad to see Superman enjoying some success with Earth One, although
I'm not sure how many Twilight fans (and fans of other young adult
literature) were hooked by it.

Batman: Earth One will do well, too, and, if DC chooses to strike while the
iron is hot, they need to have a Green Lantern: Earth One ready to go next
summer.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 4  

…both mention Earth One being a New York Times #1 best seller.

••

Deceptive, since the NYT has added a "Graphic Books" section to its listing.

This is, once again, an example of being the world's tallest midget.

Frantz Kenol
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 5  

The way I see it, there is a general contempt/disregard towards comic books and superheroes coming from seemingly everyone involved in comics today.
I find it from the comic producers (Writers/artists/editors), from Hollywood (directors/actors), and worst of all the fans.
The fans currently reading comics seem to have a genuine dislike, disdain or I should say, low opinion of the very genre they profess to be "fans" of.
They never pass up a chance to run as far away as they can from the genre.  Be it their "adult themes", leather outfits, blood and gore (you wouldn't believe the blood in gore in Spider-man comics today), etc. they are doing everything and anything they can to be anything BUT "comic books".

unfortunately, the way many of us think of "classic" 60's and 70's comics is the way we think of the Batman TV show of the 60's.
Something we loved and enjoyed but something which is clearly beneath any serious consideration. A guilty pleasure full of stupidity, campiness, and silliness. an embarrassment. 
that is why so many of us are quick to want to change things when this closeted hobby is to be exposed to the general public.  We fear being discovered for the silly, geeky fans we think ourselves to be.

What saddens me is how untrue that thinking is.
How "serious" and good, and fun and real comics were back then (I am strickly speaking of Marvel comics. Was not a DC reader).

anyway, it is this thinking which is slowly but surely killing the industry.

Here is what I predict.

Both Captain America and Thor will be BO disappointments (in the same way Hulk, FF, and DD were).  They will make money but not enough.  
Green Lantern will be an outright failure.
As a result, the enthusiasm around "superhero movies" will greatly diminish. 
Now if the Avengers continues along the same line. If Whedon doesn't turn the ship around by making an exciting superhero movie, then the Avengers too will be a failure and the whole superhero movies phenomena will come to an end.
Batman may continue and perhaps SM (depending on how they handle the reboot), but no producer will invest in the other characters.
the movies will come to an end and Marvel will no longer have anything to supplement its publishing (other than Disney as a whole).
anything may come as a result of this crash. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 6  

The fans currently reading comics seem to have a genuine dislike, disdain or I should say, low opinion of the very genre they profess to be "fans" of.

••

I see an attitude in many "fans" disturbingly similar to what we find in drug addicts -- a hatred and loathing of the things/substances to which they are addicted, but an unwillingness/inability to move away from them.

Richard Marcej
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 7  

"that is why so many of us are quick to want to change things when this closeted hobby is to be exposed to the general public.  We fear being discovered for the silly, geeky fans we think ourselves to be."

Do people really care what others think of them, because of what they read?
Really?

I mean, if you're over 21 let's say, graduated from school, essentially an adult, why the hell would you care what others think about what you read (or watch, or listen to, etc...)

Why?

Who gives a  damn what others think?

You enjoy it, then do it.

I haven't cared what others thought about what I've read or watched since middle school.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 8  

Do people really care what others think of them, because of what they read?

Really?

••

When it comes to comic books, sadly, yes.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 9  

As a result, the enthusiasm around "superhero movies" will greatly diminish. 

It just takes one super-hero movie blockbuster to sweep the stink of a line of flops under the rug. I think the genre will stick around for awhile, since hollywood appears creatively bancrupt, and there's a wealth of comic book concepts/material ripe for adaptation.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 10  

Marvel's attempt to create a continuity in its films is risky precisely because one bad enough bomb could undermine a whole string of franchises in a way that would be less likely if they stayed separate.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 November 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 11  

[Just Good Business]

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 22
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version