Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Here’s why Marvel won’t listen to us (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 1  

Don't know if anyone saw this but here's a follow-up answered
by Brevoort concerning his remarks to the JBF board:
Could someone "cut & paste" what was said?  My workplace is blocking access to the link....  grrr.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 2  

To diverge the thread just a little, and to answer Stephen's question up-thread, B&N's Nook now has a color monitor touch screen, tho is smaller than an iPad.

I've read a couple of comics on the iPad, and it really loses the experience. But the friends who were showing me the apps were really excited about it, and loved how they worked on screen. To each their own.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 3  

I've read a couple of comics on the iPad, and it really loses the experience. But the friends who were showing me the apps were really excited about it, and loved how they worked on screen. To each their own.

New toys are always fun. But, as the SCI-AM essay points out, altho we can all read 200 year old books, our children's children will not be reading 200 year old iPads or Kindles or Nooks. For one thing, these are frail mechanisms, which do not survive being dropped, unlike books. They also run out of power, which books do not.

There is, for some, a problem also with the moment it takes to refresh the screen. The turn of a page is a lot quicker.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 4  

As America's publishers recently reminded me in one of their advertisements-- Instant Coffee did not wipe out the brewed coffee business.

...But then again, that seems like a very complex analogy somehow.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 5  

I don't see young kids using digital readers for comics - they will do video games, but I just don't see this.  The publishers need to aim at young kids

Comic books need to be in supermarkets as impulse buys for kids.  They should be something a parent can buy to shut them up, while feeling good about getting them something that will make them read.  Comics are a perfect mid point for getting kids who aren't reading to start reading.

I think the price point for the current format comic book is unsustainable for impulse buys in supermarkets.  Comics need to move towards the manga or Archie digest format so there is more perceived value. 

The trades can remain in bookstores for when the kids start haunting bookstores.  The impulse buy of a comic in a supermarket is the road to eventually getting them into bookstores

All of the problems stem from an industry reluctant to pay the gift of comics forward to the next generation.  Kids need to be the main target.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 6  

It's been a while since I've said it, but I'll say it again - 

I learned to read by reading Spider-Man comics when I was 3-5 years old. I never knew until after I joined the forum here that one of the iconic images of Spider-Man in my childhood - the black costume against a cityscape at night - was drawn by JB. The only reason I collect comics today is because of that nostalgia factor. I don't want them to grow up with me - I want them to stay the same so I can look back. 

Comics need to target kids. Bone is wildly successful in schools - everywhere from Elementary to High School. Amulet is doing well too. I see it everywhere I go. 

Imagine if Amazing Spider-Man published comics in that size, collecting 7-8 adventures, and sold them through Scholastic. Can't happen though - Amazing Spider-Man isn't appropriate for readers younger than High School, and by the time kids get to High School, it's much more difficult to get them to read ANYTHING if they didn't start reading at an earlier age. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Frank Stone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

In contemplating all the newfangled electronic reading gadgets and how high-maintenance they can be, I keep coming back to this passage by Isaac Asimov:

"A cassette as ordinarily viewed makes sound and casts light. That is its purpose, of course, but must sound and light intrude on others who are not involved or interested? The ideal cassette would be visible and audible only to the person using it...We could imagine a cassette that is always in perfect adjustment; that starts automatically when you look at it; that stops automatically when you cease to look at it; that can play forwards or backwards, quickly or slowly, by skips or repetitions, entirely at your pleasure.

...Surely that's the ultimate dream device -- a cassette that may deal with any of an infinite number of subjects, fictional or non-fictional, that is self-contained, portable, non-energy consuming, perfectly private and largely under the control of the will...

Must this remain only a dream? Can we expect to have such a cassette some day? We not only have it now, we have had it for many centuries. The ideal I have described is the printed word, the book, the object you now hold -- light, private, and manipulable at will.

...Does it seem to you that the book, unlike the cassette I have been describing, does not produce sound and images? It certainly does...You cannot read without hearing the words in your mind and seeing the images to which they give rise. In fact, they are your sounds and images, not those invented for you by others, and are therefore better...The printed word presents minimum information, however. Everything but that minimum must be provided by the reader -- the intonation of words, the expressions on faces, the actions, the scenery, the background, must all be drawn out of that long line of black-on-white symbols."

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

"New toys are always fun. But, as the SCI-AM essay points out, altho we can all read 200 year old books, our children's children will not be reading 200 year old iPads or Kindles or Nooks. For one thing, these are frail mechanisms, which do not survive being dropped, unlike books. They also run out of power, which books do not.

There is, for some, a problem also with the moment it takes to refresh the screen. The turn of a page is a lot quicker."

I used to think this way. My wife bought my an Augen Ebook for my birthday in August. It really has been a great experience. I find myself reading at a faster face because I can control the font size to a more comfortable level. It doesn't lose my page when I fall asleep.  It is backlit (LCD screen) so I can read in the dark while my wife is asleep. t came with this tiny leather case that provides a lot of protection because I drop mine all the time.  Heck, I now toss it around (throw it onto the couch, into a seat, wherever as I am walking by) just like i would with a book. While the Augen won't last 200 years, the files could be. I don't have many 200 year old books in my library but one that I have that is about 65 years old is so frail I dare not turn the page. I have transfered books from my Augen to my wife's Kindle so she could read it, so that overcomes the age aspect. I don't really run into lag in turning pages, not like I do when I lose my place in a regular book. I can read more effectively one handed. One a plane, when I tired of reading, I could turn my book sideways and watch a movie. I keep discovering little conveniences that I like.

I really wasn't expecting to get into the fad. And most of the extras are just little conveniences. But my biggest benefit is just how much my reading speed has increased becasue of comfort. I am reading at paces I hadn't in 10 or 15 years.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks for the link JB. On the surface it seems like a no brainer. But, after reading I do see some of the drawbacks. Hopefully, the technology will get better to remedy some of the drawbacks.

Andrew, some people don't like it. I don't know if I could handle it on a smaller screen, but it doesn't bother me on the iPad. Plus I find the more you use it, the more comfortable you become. It's kinda like when widescreen films first hit VHS.

Sean Blythe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

I don't see young kids using digital readers for comics - they will do
video games, but I just don't see this.

Why? It actually seems possible that soon, a generation of kids is going to
grow up reading virtually everything on some sort of tablet. I'm sure most
of us have seen parents handing iPhones and the like to very young kids -
- pre-reading age kids -- who are very, very adept with the touch
interface. With Apple forcasting 48 million iPads sold in 2011, and with
other companies coming out with similar devices, is it possible that
tablets are, in fact, where the kids are?

Due respect, I think comments like this are analogous to people who said
no one would ever give up their record collection to listen to CDs, or their
CDs to download digital music on an iPod.

And Frank, I like that Asimov quote a lot, but it essentially describes the
iPad experience. It stays powered for 10 hours, and it's instant on -- it
takes no longer than picking up a book and finding your place. It's not a
no-energy-use product, but neither is a book in a dark room. And last I
checked, when you're reading a book on an iPad, you're still reading the
words. (P.S. Did you go to a book to look up that quote, or did you Google
it?)

In his SA article, David Pogue suggests that we won't be able to hand our
e-books down from generation to generation. That's true. But does that
really describe how people use most books? Did anyone here pay $8 for a
paperback copy of The DaVinci Code with the idea that someday
they could hand it down to their children? Books will no doubt survive, but
it's not a stretch to think of them like vinyl records and live theater --
lovely, wonderful experiences for a select (and diminishing) audience.

Side note: I think the "hand it down from one generation to the next" is
the only part of Pogue's argument that holds any water when it comes to
comics. Digital comics are going to seriously screw up the bag-and-
board collector. (On the bright side, it may end up making their collection
more valuable in time.)

And JB, that page turning issue is really just the Kindle, and it's reasonable
to assume it won't be an issue for much longer.

I mean, whatever. I don't mean to proselytize here. Time will tell, I guess.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

I can't find the article on Sci-Am. Is there a link?

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

So Breevort's apology is accompanied by taking another potshot at us? Once again WE have to go to HIM to offer real suggestions on what we think is wrong with the market!

----
I didn't take it as a shot at us. But I agree, if he wants to address us as a forum, why not come here. Why do we have to go to him.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version