Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Here’s why Marvel won’t listen to us (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

@JB
Even a broken clock is right twice a day!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't understand why Marvel and DC couldn't at least
cut a deal with Walmart or Target to carry, say, the ten
most popular current titles (or whatever number would be
significant enough to make a difference) and put a
spinner rack or some other contraption next to or near
the superhero action figures. Better yet, mix in some
older material in trade format. When a new Batman console
game comes out, like the upcoming game I'll be getting,
DC could make sure to have a rack of Batman present. When
Iron Man, Thor and Cap come out on DVD? Avengers trades
right next to them! Duh! Things like this.

You have to at least try to get these things in venues
outside of dwindling comic stores and book stores if
mainstream comics are to have any future at all.

Back to Top profile | search

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

Robert, the argument I've heard is that Walmart etc can't be bothered to collect the smaller sums each comic cost. Except comic collecting kids tend to buy many issues at time, (and there are still cheap children's comics in my UK newsagents.)

I'd either go for your idea, or maybe a core 30 titles, (keep the emo-adult versions for comic stores/older audiences) or have four or five compendiums of new and reprinted series featuring the most famous characters amongst kids.

Is that impossible Brevoort? If I give you a dollar can you lower yourself to explain why?

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

"This is art, so we don't want to make it like an assembly line," he said. "Once you say 'You can't do this' it sucks the creative life out of the room."

This is the long-sought reason why Marvel and DC don't function as businesses: they don't even want to.

I appreciate art. Mainstream superhero comics are mostly worse art than they are entertainment. So they're doing one thing badly because they're busy doing another thing very badly.

IMP.

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

Robert, the argument I've heard is that Walmart etc can't be bothered to collect the smaller sums each comic cost.

That must be why they don't sell sweets (candy). Or newspapers. Or anything else under three dollars. In bucketloads.

IMP.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

I've thrown out the idea before that if - IF - the majority of Big Two superhero comics were all-ages as they should be, they should print single issues monthly for the Direct Market, and every 3 months have a three issue extra-sized issue for places like Wal-Mart, 7-11, or whatever. 

Charge 5 or 6 bucks for the three issue collection (more than a single issue, so it's priced like a magazine, but less than the three issues individually because sales on them can offset costs) and pack a shelf full of them. 

You could even do monthly versions with three different characters or teams. Mix things up a bit, so Cap, Thor, and Iron Man aren't in the same issue. Put Iron Man with Black Panther and Daredevil, or Thor with Spider-Man and the FF. Have an Uncanny X-Men issue packed with Doctor Strange and Captain America. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

Robert, the argument I've heard is that Walmart etc can't be bothered to collect the smaller sums each comic cost. Except comic collecting kids tend to buy many issues at time, (and there are still cheap children's comics in my UK newsagents.)

Yet WalMart carries the Archie digests by their checkouts and in their books and magazines aisle.

Edited by Aaron Smith on 02 November 2010 at 4:59pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

I've heard that excuse too, Dan, but I think the way to get
around this is to only feature the comics, initially,
during a dvd, toy or game release, for a limited time, or
till they run out of their stock. If we never find out if
these things still appeal to kids and teens (that DO read
Harry Potter and the like)that obviously love the
characters, then that's just ridiculously lazy on Marvel
and DC's part.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

"This is art, so we don't want to make it like an assembly line," he said. "Once you say 'You can't do this' it sucks the creative life out of the room."

God, the pretentious douchebaggery!

What we, and I mean most of us who work for a living, can never digest is how a bunch of trifling frat boys in jeans and Keds who never had a deadline they couldn't weasel out of could possibly become an "assembly line."

That would be expecting men not to be the slovenly college 'roids they were five to ten years ago, but to be actual professionals. I hate to just take shots at these talents at Marvel and DC, but really..."creative life"? So, sitting around a board room giggling, watching movie trailers and sipping Diet Coke while saying things like, "You know what I'm thinking? You know what would be cool?" is "creativity?"

They are what would be termed in military speak as "F.S.P."s. F*cking Sniveling Pukes.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 10  

Yet WalMart carries the Archie digests by their checkouts and in their books and magazines aisle.

Our WalMart equivalent carries Marvel and DC comics.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'd be down for an extremely limited superhero output from DC and Marvel, spread to the most visible areas of every major store in the U.S. Like, ten titles per month from each company.

New titles and mini-series can be pimped just like any corporate movie or television show, mostly to be found in comic shops.

The idea is to focus all that "creative life" onto the best and most accessible characters. Have a couple of Superman and Batman comics and do the old 1980s schtick of continuing stories from one to the other. Crossovers are frowned upon, just keep each title whether it's FF or Wonder Woman in their own "universe." You don't have to have comics that are all done in one issue, but you can insure Wonder Woman readers get an ongoing story without having to buy any other comics from DC.

This might sound contrary, since Marvel/DC whores their characters in every title they can in order to suck fans dry. But at least Marvel/DC is guaranteed that Wonder Woman reader, month in and month out. If done correctly, if Wonder Woman is strongly produced to the right age bracket, that one WW reader becomes tens of thousands, then hundreds of thousands. Every teenager wants to be in on the Next Thing. Every kid wants to be associated with something cool. 

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

Comic books haven't been a source of ghettoized entertainment in any other part of the world except here, where they were originated.

Manga is gigantic in one of the most media-saavy cultures in the world. You're saying those Japanese kids and young adults don't have more to distract them from comics than American kids? That's the Big Excuse why comics aren't fashioned for kids in the most general, accessible way possible in the States?

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version