Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Man of Steel Vs. Birthright Vs. Secret Origin (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 1  

I think it's a general problem with most of the All-Star and Ultimate lines really. They are supposed to be reflections of the main universes without actually binding the creators to the long continuity. Thus, Hot Creator A is able to do their own Bizarro story or the first coming of Galactus. You end up getting books that are touted as being different from the main U. but spend a whole lot of time actually referencing them such as reintroducing skewed or kewl versions of secondary and tertiary characters, and retellings of the same old stories and characters.

To the point that I don't really see the point of them. If I want to read Superman or Spider-man, I don't really want to read about some alternate versions, I want to be able to read the real deal.

••

It's because it's all about the singer, not the song.

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 2  

As has been so wisely said, so many times, "Every issue is the first issue for somebody." This is something that should be tattooed inside the eyelids of all modern writers, so they see if every time they blink!

Not only do I agree with you, I'll even go a step further and say that should also be tattooed inside the eyelids of all modern editors and fans as well. I have read numerous times on various message boards some selfish and elitist fans say that explaining things in a modern day comic book is unnecessary because the internet is around to answer all of their questions. It really pisses me off that so many fans think that new readers should have to do research in order to understand a comic.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 3  

As has been so wisely said, so many times, "Every issue is the first issue for somebody." This is something that should be tattooed inside the eyelids of all modern writers, so they see if every time they blink!

++

Not only do I agree with you, I'll even go a step further and say that should also be tattooed inside the eyelids of all modern editors and fans as well. I have read numerous times on various message boards some selfish and elitist fans say that explaining things in a modern day comic book is unnecessary because the internet is around to answer all of their questions. It really pisses me off that so many fans think that new readers should have to do research in order to understand a comic.

••

Many people have sung the praises of that inside-front-cover page Marvel used to do -- as if it was a GOOD idea to announce to a potential new reader that before s/he can even START on a book, a whole page of text has to be digested!

I go back to when Shooter ordered the removal of the topcopy from the splash pages. Quite rightly, he said that was all information that should be IN the story, in every issue. Sure, when the stuff is collected in trade paperback form it can get monotonous to have the characters or the narrator reiterating details every 22 pages or so --- BUT THESE THINGS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE WRITTEN FOR THE TRADES!

Those who want to write trade paperbacks should write trade paperbacks. (And starve to death, since we know how much trouble these prima donnas have producing just 22 pages on time!)

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 4  

I like and dislike aspects of all three of them, but by far the best
Superman origin is that one All Star Superman page. Perfectly
executed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 5  

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 11:30am | IP 201.144.130.18 | 1     post replyI like and dislike aspects of all three of them, but by far the best Superman origin is that one All Star Superman page. Perfectly executed.

••

What planet is that? Who are those strangely dressed humans? What's that rocket for? Where's it going? Is there something inside it? Who are the people in the last panel? Are they Black?

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 6  

Superman was adopted by a chinese lady...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Frank Gurstelle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 7  

Q: Why don't people see thru Clark's lame disguise?

Correct A: Because they DON'T!

DC A: Let's do a STORY about it!!

Is that why you did a story about people's inability to see thru Clark's "lame disguise"?

Edited by Frank Gurstelle on 05 October 2010 at 12:38pm

Frank Gurstelle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

As follow up to my question, did DC tell you to add that story?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

which story are you referring to?

Frank Gurstelle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

Superman (vol. 2) #2 (February 1987)

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

---------

Is that the issue where Lex finds out that Clark is Superman, but dismisses it because he can't believe that Superman would pretend to be human?

(Sorry to interject myself but I just wanted a refresher).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

••

Kinda stretching some definitions here, aren't you?

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version