Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Man of Steel Vs. Birthright Vs. Secret Origin (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

I vote for Man of Steel.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

[X] Man of Steel

[ ] Birthright

[ ] Secret Origin

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

Pre-Crisis, Superboy was said to have complete recall of his time on Krypton, with the exception of those memories that had been wiped due to kryptonite exposure. To get those memories back, he created a mind-probe in the basement and used it to "revisit" Krypton on occasion.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

Let the outpourings of "And THAT'S why I prefer Man of Steel!" begin...

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

My favorite Superman origin is "The Story of Superman's Life" a 1961 retelling by Otto Binder and Al Plastino.  I'm sure sentiment plays a part, as it was the first version of the origin story I ever heard, via a book and record set (pictured below).  But the Weisinger-era Superman and all its "barnacles" (Superbaby, Kandor, the giant cake) is still the real Superman to me.  I've still got my scratchy old record, but I was delighted to find out recently that it's available as an MP3 download at amazon.  Worth downloading for the catchy theme song alone!

I think the "S" as a family crest is a terrible, terrible idea, an example of really overcomplicating something that was quite simple and fine the way it was. 

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 04 October 2010 at 7:02pm
Back to Top profile | search

Craig Ashforth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Man of Steel definitely

That's my Superman, the one that really got me hooked on the character.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

Frustrates me to be reminded of those years when Joe Staton, one of the most deft and talented humorous artists of my generation, was wasted churning out "dramatic" fare at DC. Like getting Secretariat to pull a plow!

Anyway --- pretty much everything about Superboy, including the very existence of the character, was retcons. The notion that he could "remember" his life on Krypton pretty much depended on which part of the mythos you happened to tap into. Was it as Seigel and Shuster created the character, with Kal a newborn when he was sent to Earth? Or was it as things were when I started reading, with him a toddler, already talking and fully capable of independent actions?

It's important to remember that his background on Krypton was merely the starting point for S&S, (as origins tended to be in those days and for decades after). It was so unimportant to the story they were telling that Superman himself did not discover his background for something like ten years!

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

It's important to remember that his background on Krypton was merely the starting point for S&S, (as origins tended to be in those days and for decades after). It was so unimportant to the story they were telling that Superman himself did not discover his background for something like ten years!

----------

Indeed.  I remember reading somewhere years ago (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that Superman's alien heritege was more or less a simple and quick means to explain Superman's powers, and not something that was expected to become an intricate part of the mythology.

Yet it's funny how some fans get up-in-arms over the "Man of Steel" Krypton for being cold and inhuman compared to the previous incarnation.  These are the same fans who say that Superman after MoS was "too human".  The irony! 

Edited by Kirk Campbell on 04 October 2010 at 7:47pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

The Superman created by Seigel and Shuster was exactly that -- a super MAN. He was completely human in every respect, save that he had been born on another planet! A planet "ahead" of Earth, so that he belonged to a "race of supermen", but otherwise genetically (tho the word would never have occurred to them) identical to us.

Back in those day, little concern was given to explaining how so perfect a human avatar could have evolved on a distant planet. (There was also some early trouble deciding just HOW distant. In at least one story, Krypton is part of the Sun's family of planets!)

Origins in general were just starting points. They did not have to be fully realized or even logical. And some characters -- The Bat-Man, for instance -- began their adventures without origins!

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

JB how do you feel about something like this as explaining Superman's origin? 

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

Lars, you're right and I'm sorry.  I came off snarkier than I wanted too (experiencing some of that "good" customer service as I was skimming the thread).

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2010 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 12  

Adam, that page is one of the few things I really liked about ALL STAR: SUPERMAN. Because that is the maxiumum amount of space that I feel should be spent explaining Superman's origins. I say maximum because in the "old days", a single panel would often suffice.

In this disussion about origin stories, I easily voted for MOS also because it's the only one of the three that was necessary. It was necessary because Superman was being completely re-booted (whether the reboot itself was necessary is another debate).

Neither BIRTHRIGHT nor SECRET ORIGIN followed any reboot, but are basically motivated by retcons. Especially the latter, which seems solely to exist to give meaning to rather recent events in Superman's history. As such, it is completely redundant.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version