Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Man of Steel Vs. Birthright Vs. Secret Origin (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

BIRTHRIGHT felt too much like Waid's version of a Superman movie. MAN OF STEEL was straightforward great comics, pure and simple.

I actually couldn't get past the first issue of SECRET ORIGIN: Clark "ashamed" of the Superman costume, which dripped with self-loathing. Think of the last page of MOS #1 and compare that with Clark Kent stooped over in embarrassment.

Also, Gary Frank's decision to use Christopher Reeve as a model for Superman was very distracting. Christopher Reeve was great because he *looked* like Superman. When I see Gary Frank's Superman, I see Christopher Reeve -- *not* Superman.
Back to Top profile | search | www

tho ha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

The S = Family Crest interpretation allows "Superman" to be a name given by the public, and probably reluctantly accepted by Superman.  It takes away the arrogance behind the name, especially since he's an alien, so I like it.

My favorite version is that 70's Curt Swan one as well, reprinted in Secret Origins of the DC Super Heroes, which is also one of my favorite books.
Back to Top profile | search

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 3  

The S = Family Crest interpretation allows "Superman" to be a name given by the public, and probably reluctantly accepted by Superman.  It takes away the arrogance behind the name, especially since he's an alien, so I like it.

----------

Actually, John Byrne solved this 'problem' in "Man of Steel". 

Lois dubs Clark "Superman" before he even wears the costume.  Ma Kent and Clark then develop the costume and logo accordingly.  No arrogance present. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

The S = Family Crest interpretation allows "Superman" to be a name given by the public, and probably reluctantly accepted by Superman. It takes away the arrogance behind the name, especially since he's an alien, so I like it.

My favorite version is that 70's Curt Swan one as well, reprinted in Secret Origins of the DC Super Heroes, which is also one of my favorite books.

••

I cannot make those two paragraphs part of the same thought process.Well -- maybe the alien part. In the 70s DC was deep into the "Strange in a Strange Land" aspect of Superman -- an aspect which made absolutely no sense for a character who had been raised as a human being (albeit a very special one) since infancy.

But an arrogant Superman? WAY too much "deconstruction". They is what they is. Take 'em apart, and they break.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

And, once again (I will make it my quest unto death to impress this upon people!) -- that thing on his chest is an EMBLEM, not a LOGO. The LOGO is on the front of his comic, not the front of his shirt.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

[X] John Byrne's MAN OF STEEL (!)

I'll be blunt, the other choices are Crap.

Byrne crafted a good COMICBOOK origin story, while Waid wrote a wannabe screenplay, and Johns reworked all the 'stuff' already out there and labelled it His. Not only that, Birthright and S.O. are editorially redundant AND unimportant. MoS got it right, case closed.

Lenil Yu's art is too harsh and unsuited to Superman (better on Punisher or Wolverine) and Gary Frank isn't dynamic enough (like stillframe images rather than John Buscema or Kirby) and the Reeve likeness was ill-advised imo.

Man of Steel makes sense as a story and is timeless, where the others 'feel' modern, probably because they make poor examples of what good comicbooks should be. Imaginative and full of wonderment.

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

And, once again (I will make it my quest unto death to impress this upon people!) -- that thing on his chest is an EMBLEM, not a LOGO. The LOGO is on the front of his comic, not the front of his shirt.

----------

I stand corrected. :-)

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 8  

Lenil Yu's art is too harsh and unsuited to Superman (better on Punisher or Wolverine) and Gary Frank isn't dynamic enough (like stillframe images rather than John Buscema or Kirby) and the Reeve likeness was ill-advised imo.

---------

I so miss 80's and early 90's comic book art. 

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

I cannot make those two paragraphs part of the same thought process.Well -- maybe the alien part. In the 70s DC was deep into the "Strange in a Strange Land" aspect of Superman -- an aspect which made absolutely no sense for a character who had been raised as a human being (albeit a very special one) since infancy.

----------

It made even LESS sense considering two midwest general store owners would have no idea to raise Clark as a Kryptonian, even if they tried to raise him 'differently'. 

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

Lots of opinion stated as fact in Lars' post.

Darrell Hempel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 11  

MAN OF STEEL. John Byrne's reworking of Superman and his mythos was the first time I ever enjoyed the character. Up til MAN OF STEEL and the reboot, I'd always detested just how . . . well . . . "super" Superman was. Byrne made me see just how interesting the "man" in Superman is.

Ah, memories . . .

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Rockwood
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

Also, Gary Frank's decision to use Christopher Reeve as a model forSuperman was very distracting. Christopher Reeve was great because he*looked* like Superman. When I see Gary Frank's Superman, I seeChristopher Reeve -- *not* Superman.

That is essentially the reverse with me. When I see Gary Frank's Superman, I see Superman...because when I see Christopher Reeve, I see Superman. I suppose the only distracting part of it is when I see Christopher Reeve in his Superman I think of the Superman movies.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version