Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Detroit Fanfare Oct. 30 & 31, 2010 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 1  

The photo op was even worse. The company doing the photography had a number of problems and delays, and had barely printed out 70 pictures in two hours following the shoot.

I wonder if this was the same company that was at Emerald City and Wondercon this year....  Major glitches with photo ops at ECCC that didn't get resolved until a month or so afterwards.

Glad ya had a great time in spite of that, Greg!

Back to Top profile | search

Mark De Mara
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

Unfortunately, I had to cut out much earlier than I wanted to on Saturday.  My daughter has the flu and her fever spiked over 103.

I have to get her healthy for Mid-Ohio next weekend!

They had a great turn-out for their first show!  That place was packed!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

My camera is being weird.  I'll try to share pictures later.

Nice to meet Greg Kirkman!  Much like Paul, Greg looks exactly like his avatar! 

It was decided that whatever Greg Kirkman lacks in experience (he's a young lad) he more than makes up for in nerdy enthusiasm!  You should've stayed for lunch, Greg!  You missed a delightful trip to the mall food court!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Pics!

Amazing Iron Man and War Machine costumes.  These guys walked out just before Stan arrived at the Q&A session.  Really impressive.

The above shot shows you the set up of the stage for the Q&A session.  That's Theakston at the podium and Iron man posed up front sort of like a "guard" or whatever.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

Last picture.  This is Paul's JUST IMAGINE ROBIN....comic being signed by Stan Lee.  I took this over Paul's shoulder and then got yelled at for taking pictures (who knew?).  They had Stan about six feet behind a table to try to get people not to talk to him.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

Three things that happened at the show:

1. We saw a fan dressed as Emma Frost, the White Queen.  The character is from the X-Men but I don't think this Queen had all X chromosomes...

2. Paul peaked his head out our hotel room door at one point and said, "Good night, Iron Man" and it made perfect sense to do so.

3. Dave Pruitt materialized out of a dark abyss when Paul recited his name three times while looking in a mirror. 

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Whenever you least expect it, Kiai!! SH-KOW!

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 8  

Dave Pruitt is everywhere and nowhere all at the same time!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

It was decided that whatever Greg Kirkman lacks in experience (he's a young lad) he more than makes up for in nerdy enthusiasm!  You should've stayed for lunch, Greg!  You missed a delightful trip to the mall food court!

+++++++++

I've managed to avoid going back to Fairlane Town Center for many years, now, and I like it that way!

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 10  

heh. I've avoided it for over 20 years. Moving to another state helps...

Still, it's odd layout haunts me to this day. I used to love going up and down the ramps in my wee days...

Martin Arlt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 11  

Pam and I were at the convention on Saturday. There were definitely some organizational issues, but I'm willing to cut them some slack as a first-run convention. Things better improve next year, however. The biggest problem was the fact that the volunteer staff weren't all on the same page. You could ask three different volunteers a question, and get three different answers! Volunteer orientation needs to be better.

Still, the show was a blast. The Stan Lee panel was fun, and it was a thrill to get a photo taken with him. Pretty damn spry for an 87 year old! He was looking pretty tired when I got to him in the autograph line, but after he signed my two books, I said, "thanks for coming!" He instantly turned on the charm, became the Stan Lee you always see on tv, and cheerfully said, "Thanks for having me!" Forget when I'm 87, I wish I could do that now!

Picked up some tpbs in the dealer room. It was a bit too crowded for me to comfortably dig through back issue boxes, though, until near the end of the day, but by then I was too tired to really care! It was great to see so many people turn out for a comic convention, rather than a multimedia convention.

Got to see Paul and meet Joe. Saw them first in the VIP line. Later asked Pam (who passed on the VIP stuff) if she had seen them. Since it's almost a con tradition to run into Greer multiple times in a day, she was surprised she hadn't. Did see them both shortly before leaving though.

Good convention with potential to be a great convention. Looking forward to next year!

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 12  

Got to the show on Sunday. I had fun threatening my Jedi Masters Arvell Jones and Keith Pollard with physical harm (dressed as "Hollywood" Nick Fury!)

Back to Top profile | search

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version