Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Detroit Fanfare Oct. 30 & 31, 2010 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 1  

For the love of all, you MUST go to Miller's Bar for lunch or diner Saturday (open til 2 am, but closed Sunday).
23700 Michigan Ave

get a burger. Get another for me.
I miss them very very very much.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 2  

Any suggestions on how early to be at the show?

Mark De Mara
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 3  

I'm shooting to be there around 8:30 tomorrow morning.

What part of Michigan are you from, Greg?  I'm about 40 minutes north of Dearborn.

I'll be wearing a black t-shirt with Animal (from the Muppets).  If you see me, say hi!

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 4  

Joe H. will be the one who looks like a deer in headlights as he crosses the Michigan-Ohio border to go to his first non-Ohio con.  He should be easy to spot.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

What part of Michigan are you from, Greg?  I'm about 40 minutes north of Dearborn.

++++++

About the same.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

Y'know, I'm still a bit on the fence about what to have The Man sign. I think either the Spider-Man or FF Omnibuses would be most appropriate.

On the one hand, Spider-Man is Marvel's corporate mascot, and Stan was certainly key in that success. On the other hand, there's the controversy over how much of the character and the work was Ditko's.

Of course, the FF started everything off in '61, and there's no question of Stan's involvement, there.

Decisions, decisions...!

Mark De Mara
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

I met Stan Lee at a Dearborn show back in the early 90's.  I had him sign my Avengers, FF and Spider-Man Marvel Masterworks.

I also saw him in Chicago about 10 years ago.  He signed my Avengers 1 at that show.

Joe H. will be the one who looks like a deer in headlights as he tries to figure out how to work his cell phone.  He should be easy to spot.  (fixed)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think this particular show has a limit of one autographed item per person, yes?

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

You get one Stan Lee sig with your VIP pass. If you want more than one they are 40 bucks each.

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

I received my rare cell phone call from Joe. Leaving for the con in T-minus 15 minutes.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

Going to bed, now, so I can get up nice and early.

If I don't survive the excitement of this event, please tell the world my story.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2010 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

Got back about an hour ago. Wowzers!

This show was wall-to-wall with people.

Stan's Q and A was fun. It was hosted by Greg Theakston. It was very surreal to see Stan in person. And, of course, he was asked many questions he's been asked countless times before, but answered them all with his usual graciousness and wit. The man's an absolute class act.

As I noted when speaking with someone in line, there's no need for him to do these shows anymore--he clearly does it to give back to the fans who have idolized him for decades.

And, I managed not to make a fool of myself! During the photo op, Stan said only three words to me--"You nailed it". Works for me!

I'm really glad I went for the VIP ticket, because the crowds--and and the quality of crowd control--were nightmarish! Organization was lacking. I ended up standing in one line or another for about four hours, all in all. Worse, in the Stan Lee autograph line, about 50-100 people were somehow allowed to basically cut in front of myself and many others--the back end of the line looped around and cut right into the middle of it. Totally ridiculous.

The photo op was even worse. The company doing the photography had a number of problems and delays, and had barely printed out 70 pictures in two hours following the shoot. They told people to check back later for their photos, and I'll wager that the last photos of the 300 or so which were taken won't be done until 10-11 pm. They also charged $10 for a JPG file of one's photo which can be retrived online--I got this as a backup.

The best part (besides the obvious thrill of meeting Stan The Man) of the whole day was the people. I met and had in-depth chats with a number of great people in the various lines. One nice guy from Ohio who also offered to go to lunch with me (I stupidly declined that offer, thinking I'd be out of there in a reasonable amount of time!). Another, older fan, who brought his son. A nice young woman in film production who brought her daughter.

Best of all was my meeting up with Paul Greer and Joe Hollon. Great guys! Paul's about 300 lbs of pure bodybuilder, and wore a "JBF Security" muscle-shirt. He worked me over a bit for some prior transgressions here in the Forum.

I kid!

Maybe.

We had a nice--if all too brief--chat. And then he pulled out a JB-signed copy of the STAR TREK: ROMULANS- PAWNS OF WAR trade, which he specifically brought to rub in my face. I'll get back at him, somehow--!!!!

I declined a kind offer of lunch with the boys, although that turned out to be a mistake. I waited and waited and waited for that bloody photo of myself and Stan to be printed. I waited for about three hours, wandering to and from the dealers' room to kill time. And not having eaten since 8 AM.

At 4:30 PM, I gave up, got some cheap takeout to gorge myself on, and went home. At 6:30, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a phone call from Paul, who said that my photo had just been set out for pickup. He very kindly offered to grab it and mail it to me in the near future. I really, really appreciate that!

Had a great time!

Got blessed by the Pope. What more could anyone ask?

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 30 October 2010 at 6:13pm

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version