Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Goodman’s Grandson to restart Atlas Comics Line. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2010 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 1  

The Phoenix as the Protector was the first Atlas comic I read and being around 12, I enjoyed it. However, getting the earlier issues of the Phoenix later, I enjoyed them much more and liked the character much better. In college, I even wrote for my own enjoyment a story of the character returning to Earth in his Phoenix guise once more to fight off an alien invasion. His turn at being the Protector wasn't ignored though, he just changed to his original suit and id, handing off the Protector one to another.

In my lottery dreams, I always hoped to see what Byrne might do with the Phoenix or Destructor.

With a little luck, they might stand a good chance at succeeding with today's audiences. Many of the characters were darker than your standard superheroes of the time and not above killing. You don't really see any of them being that company's version of Spider-man, Superman or Batman. Won't have to darken them any, just find a way to make them stand out and put solid talent behind them.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 2  

Researching Atlas, they had some pretty good covers. They should bring back the Cougar as a 40 year old woman. :)
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Marcej
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3  

Is it just me, or do all the images (artwork & logos) I'm seeing from this Atlas Comics rebirth all look like the work that was churned out in the mid 1990's.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Lawrence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 4  

For anyone unfamilair with Atlas, check out this site: http://www.atlasarchives.com/

If Tarantino wrote comics, he'd belong at a revived Atlas.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 5  

Man, the new covers are HORRIBLE!!!! :'(  Hurgh, guess they've been "upgraded" for "today's more sophisticated market" *rolls eyes*. I just lost all interest in this.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

Typical "poster pose" covers, no backgrounds, and not even a hint about what's inside >sigh!< ... the Goodmans are STILL imitating Marvel.  A pity -- this was their chance to make a difference...

The Grim Ghost cover IS nicely drawn and colored, but the proportions make him look short.  The Phoenix cover just...sucks.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2010 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

JB, did the Goodmans contact you about doing new work on any of these characters?  Or are they imitating M****l in that regard, as well?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version