Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Fantasy #15 is MINE!!! muahahah!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

I use bags and boards ONLY to keep my comics in good shape, so I can enjoy them. It's not about "mint condition" or any other such poppycock. I protect them because they are precious to me, not because I'm thinking of them as an investment.

While the perceived dollar worth of these books is, in the end a combination of scarcity and popularity/historical value, it angers me that so many old books I'd love to buy have such high prices because they're perceived as investments.

Really, how much should a copy of AF # 15 cost? REALLY? Sure, it's the first appearance of Spider-Man, and has great historical and sentimental value because of that, but it is truly worth all of the money and effort of "grading" and slabbing?

It may very well be that I might never get to own or even hold a copy of it because all of the copies out there are sealed up in basements, awaiting an expensive resale.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think we're having two separate discussions here, and they're getting commingled.  One is: is slabbing the right thing to do to a comic book.  The other is: does Fred have the right to keep and enjoy his purchase any way he sees fit.

My answers are: I don't really know.  I understand the need for a grading system, but I don't really like the idea of any book being permanently sealed.  I understand everyone's point of view about that ultimately defeating the purpose.

Of course, I didn't just shell out a ton of cash for a rare classic.  Which brings me to my other answer:  Yes, absolutely.  If Fred wants to leave his book sealed and slabbed, that's his prerogative.  If he wants to tear it into strips and line his cat's litter pan with it, well he paid for that privilege as well.
Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

Al, there are more than two discussions going on here. ;)

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

I could throw in yet another and comment on my own notion that you're welcome to do with your purchase as you please - so long as it doesn't rob the world of the last of its kind of something.

Obviously, I would not support you buying the Mona Lisa and being allowed to use it as a cigar or litter-pan-liner.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

For goodness sake, people, back off and let Fred enjoy his plastic coffin!

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks Matthew. Now I'm wondering about the possibility of having myself entombed by CGC, so that my deescendents can have the great fortune of seeing me for generations to come.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

Lenin is only graded at 4.5 after 86 years so I'm not quite sure that it would be such a great fortune!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

Al:  "The other is: does Fred have the right to keep and enjoy his purchase any way he sees fit."

Nobody is saying Fred doesn't have the right to keep and enjoy his purchase any way he sees fit.  In fact, I see people doing gymnastics to emphasize he can indeed do whatever he wants and have a great time while still expressing an opinion on slabbing.  And the slabbing is the issue that started the thread by Fred himself, so it's a valid discussion

This is as gentle as a debate can get - I don't think it's fair to characterize as people hectoring Fred. 

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

I didn't intend to characterize things that way, Tim!  I was just thinking that it strikes me as two separate conversations - Fred's purchase and enjoyment thereof, and issues surrounding the CGC slabbing system.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks, Al - it is a bit of a soup.  And thanks to Fred to hanging in and voicing the slabbing POV.  I fundamentally disagree when it comes to slabbing, so I appreciate your giving your side of this.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 11  

Lenin is looking rather well. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

He's rather faded on the other side, though, where he was exposed to direct sunlight...

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 25 August 2010 at 1:59pm

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version