Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Fantasy #15 is MINE!!! muahahah!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 1  

I'm not a collector, just a reader, but I'm glad Fred was able to realize a dream.
Back to Top profile | search | www

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 2  

Congratulations Fred. I'm happy for ya!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 3  

Koroush: Comics speculation has its positives and negatives. The positive is that a great many comics have been preserved or at least treated as more than just disposable pulp material.

--

You're going to extremes there, Koroush! There is a middle ground -- I believe it's possible to preserve your comics AND read them! 

--

Koroush: If Fred really wants to read AF#15 he can just grab a good reprint and read that to death. The original copy is now a part of history and deserves to be preserved.

--

Fred can do whatever-the-hell he wants with that comic -- he owns it! I just don't like CGC -- imho, it's just really sad to own something sooooo incredibly fun -- but all of that joy is sealed away in a plastic coffin.

For the record, I own a copy of  AF #15 -- and I've read it a number of times. It brings a smile to my face each time -- what's better than that?

Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 4  

There ya go. No reason for you to be sad for me than. The joy to me is owning the book and being able to glance over at the cover multiple times throughout the day. Not all of the joy is sealed away and unveiwable. The cover brings me great joy and is great fun..... just not for the young neighborhood ruffiens. ;)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 5  

Jodi: I put his not opening it in the same sense I do if I could get my hands on a costume from the movie Star Wars. I sure the heck wouldn't think about putting on Obi Wan's robe to wear around the house.

---

Jodi,

Let's say the costume was folded up in a clear plastic case (folded in the way you'd find clothes in a department store). Would you open the case so you could look at the entire costume?

--I would! I would even (carefully) try it on! What true Star Wars fan wouldn't want to try on Obi Wan's robe??? That would be AWESOME!! :) 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 6  

Congrats, Fred!

-but I still hate CGC :)

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 7  

Fred: Not all of the joy is sealed away and unveiwable.

------

...and why have ALL THE JOY when you could just have some?

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 8  

Congratulations, Fred! A friend of mine, when we were at Heroes Con, saw a few copies of AF#15 and "Amazing Spider-Man" #1. As much as he wanted them, he said they'd be basically coming with divorce papers once he got home and showed his wife what he bought. ;-)

I've read my copy of X-Men #1 (not the 90's one) from cover to cover very carefully, same with my copies of the original Galactus Trilogy. To me, it's a different sort of experience than just reading my reprints.

Anthony Warlow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 9  

CGCing a comic is awesome when you are purchasing the rare comic via a site like eBay or some place where you (the buyer) aren't physically able to view the book.  You can be mostly sure that you know what quality of comic you are buying.  This is why CGC'd comics generally sell for more than a similar conditioned comic not CGC'd.

That said - I would open mine and hold it and read it, etc.  The case will close again and still be available to protect the comic from damage and should you wish to sell it, just send it off to be CGC'd and sealed again.

It is a fairly common book, though, available at most conventions, etc.  I would guess you probably paid 20%+ more for a CGC'd version than you would have for one that is not slabbed. 

My vote is to open it and read it.  a couple hundred dollars (or less) will see it sealed up nice and tight again if you so desire.

I got a great deal on a 9.0 CGC copy of (Uncanny) X-Men #94 a few years ago.  I had a crappy copy from my youth in my collection.  I finally cracked it open a few months ago to hold and touch the MINTness of the book.  It was very neat looking and holding this gem like it was new off the stand.  I have it well protected but no longer in the slabbing.

I also purchased a CGC'd copy 9.9 mint of Alpha Flight #1 off eBay a few years ago for about $4 (maybe $7 with shipping) -- that one got popped out of the case the same day as the Xmen 94.  Same thrill of holding a comic I enjoyed so much as a child like it was new off the rack.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 10  

If memory serves me (and my eye sight), when walking into JBs studio, I saw a copy of AF #15 sitting on one of his book shelves. I remember thinking to myself " of course, why WOULDN'T he have one of those laying around"?

I just thought it was funny.

Edited by William Roberge on 24 August 2010 at 11:20am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Anthony Warlow wrote:
I also purchased a CGC'd copy 9.9 mint of Alpha Flight #1 off eBay a few years ago for about $4 (maybe $7 with shipping) -- that one got popped out of the case the same day as the Xmen 94.  Same thrill of holding a comic I enjoyed so much as a child like it was new off the rack.

So it cost the guy who slabbed AF 1 more money to get it graded by CGC than what he got for it when he eventually sold it?  Hilarious!

Anthony Warlow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 12  

There are tons of books out there like that, comics you would wonder why anyone would ever have slabbed.

Not sure why -- if it was a thing associated with the newness of CGCing or speculators trying to create value or what -- but search eBay and you'll find some strange CGC'd books.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version