Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Fantasy #15 is MINE!!! muahahah!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm familiar with the most common grading practices. One of the biggies for me is that this book has no chipping whatsoever.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

It would be a solid F if it has little or no 'Marvel chipping' and from the picture yours doesn't look to have much (if any). At one point they used to ignore chipping when grading because it was such a common defect for Marvel books of that era (apparently caused by a dull blade at the printer). I'd wager a bet the CGC system downgrades chipped books to further distinguish high grades. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if graders now take zoom photos, map out the whole cover to a grid and meticulously pour over every nook and cranny and take a collective average to determine the numbered grade.

••

I'm reminded once again of the MidOhioCon where an irate dealer confronted Bob Wayne, the sales rep from DC, complaining that a recent squarebound annual had been too tightly wrapped in string in the distributor's bundles, so the spines cracked and the books arrived in the stores "not in mint condition".

Very calmly, Bob pointed out that if collectors and dealers were going to insist on using the term "mint" to describe something that was not, after all, minted, then the condition in which the books left the printer would be "mint" -- so the cracked spines WERE "mint".

Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

Bob sounds like a wise man.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Get that comic book out of prison! 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

I don't understand why so many of you are against CGC? I mean, it's like buying a car and not driving it...or like owning a house that you never go inside...or it's kinda like ordering food in a restaurant that you just stare at and never eat. It totally makes sense to me.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

Nathan - I was thinking about ordering commissions but never actually looking at them.  Are you in?  Anyone else want to join?  =)

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

Sorry, Jason -- I'm just too busy these days buying DVD's I'll never watch, CD's I'll never listen to and clothes that I'll never take off the hanger.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

...we could makes plans for the future -- but I refuse to unwrap my wall calendar -- so that's out.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

A number of years back there was a story about CGC grading a comicx and the owner sending the comic back to them for another grading, without telling them that it had previously been graded.

Came back with a totally different grade.

Oh, yeah, that sounds like a totally reliable system.

Anyway, congrats on getting the issue!

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 10  

Fred I am so happy for you. I put his not opening it in the same sense I do if I could get my hands on a costume from the movie Star Wars. I sure the heck wouldn't think about putting on Obi Wan's robe to wear around the house. I would do what everyone should do, bow before it's awesomeness. :0) 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 11  

James, those stories happened early on in the operation. Is it possible that it still could? Certainly. Short of buying a McDonalds product, life is imperfect. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll look at the comic every single day and appreciate it.

Though I'm not opening it immediately. CGC was the most ideal way that I could buy an expensive book and be relatively certain it would be in the condition presented. I paid less than guide for the book. I will likely open it at some point. Will I do it to apease the masses or to somehow attempt to disprove what should be done with a $10,000, 50 year old comic book, not likely.

Edited by Fred J Chamberlain on 24 August 2010 at 6:16am

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 12  

Comics speculation has its positives and negatives. The positive is that a great many comics have been preserved or at least treated as more than just disposable pulp material.

If Fred really wants to read AF#15 he can just grab a good reprint and read that to death. The original copy is now a part of history and deserves to be preserved.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version