Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Fantasy #15 is MINE!!! muahahah!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

...... wait. He was joking?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

Have the pre-Spidey Amazing Fantasy stories been reprinted? I'd love to read some weird Ditko.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

There was an Amazing Fantasy Omnibus published back in 2007, which includes all 15 issues of Amazing Fantasy / Amazing Adult Fantasy:

http://talesofwonder.com/product-exec/product_id/47484/categ ory_id/151/sc/1,21,151

Back to Top profile | search

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

You really have to trust that the "expert"  graders at CGC looked through the book to make sure it is legit.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

Congrats Fred!

That was my Grail book ......once upon a time.

Then I got the ASM Omnibus, said the heck with it, and sold off the whole darn run.

Enjoy!

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

Hah! I grabbed it off your window ledge where you were letting it cool. Now its' mine. ALL MINE!  

<wakes up>

Huh? Oh right. That's fantastic Fred, I envy you!

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

Actually, getting so psyched to hang with my best buddy that this book, due to arrive Thursday, will take a long car trip to Baltimore with the two of us. Great set-up for a film huh... two men and Amazing Fantasy #15 on the road..... hopefully it will hold up it's end of the conversation.

Lee Nail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

Congrats, Fred.

Don't let anyone rain on your parade.  Finally acquiring your grail, and sharing that info with folks you consider friends is what a hobby IS all about.

I owned a complete ASM set.....1 plus 3 thru the present.  When I finally acquired issue #2, and AF #15 (both in the same deal, btw) it was like the biggest thrill of my collecting life.  So I feel your happiness today. Congrats again!

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

<JB> I wonder if that's one of those fake AMAZING FANTASY 15s that were circulating a while back. Cleverly "aged" xerox covers wrapped around random current comics.Instantly detectable to the touch, but as long as it's locked in plastic, I guess you'll never know

I came across some of these made in the early-mid 90's.  A JiM #83 and an FF#1, both of which had decent interior pages taken from what I presume were coverless copies of Thor #138 and Strange Tales #132.  The dead giveaway they were faked, besides the weird texture of the coverstock, are the edges which look to be cut by scissors (and by extension I assume the interior pages are also trimmed).  What's interesting is that someone went to the trouble of blunting and bending some corners and recreating a staple pull.  The covers appear to be photocopies of real covers, albeit with a strange glossy sheen and a peau d'orange texture -- the FF has an '8/8' written in ink that is part of the copy.  There's fake yellowing and tape on the back and inside covers that looks to be inherited from the original scan.

I picked these up as a curiosity when I bought a PR/GD Amazing Fantasy (my second AF) from a shop in Toronto.  The shop owner had them up on a wall in mylite (with 'suggested' prices!) next to the AF and I spotted them as fakes immediately under the fluorescent lights and called them out.  The embarrassed owner gave them to me for free with the AF and I've kept them ever since.  I haven't encountered any of these since and forgot about them until you reminded me in this thread. 

They are decent fakes under the right light.  Considering the technology of the early 90's I shudder thinking about what kind of fakes could be made today by someone with even mediocre Photoshop skills, a good scanner and custom sourced paper.  When the price of the books outstrips the costs of making a good fake and there's a profit to be made I'm sure more of these will come out of the woodwork.  It's the kind of nonsense that made me get out of Silver Age collecting in the first place.

BTW, I've been out of the back issue game for so long that I have no idea what a CGC 5 is equivalent to under the old grading system.  Anyone know?

Please excuse my quick and nasty pictures...

(edited for formatting - Tim)

Edited by Tim O'Neill on 24 August 2010 at 6:58am

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

FINE condition. Called for the notes and received the following info:

* small stains top back cover

* wear/small tears along the front & back

* 3" crease top front cover barely breaking color

* small stain right top front

* thin 2" crease upper sine, front, barely breaking color

I'm thinking that I'm getting a book that is in very solid fine condition. Looks like a beaut to me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

You really have to trust that the "expert" graders at CGC looked through the book to make sure it is legit.

••

Ultimately, doesn't matter, does it? Buying "slabbed" comics is all about OWNING, not APPRECIATING. Or, at least, not the kind of appreciation comics used to merit, before they turned into giant-sized bubblegum cards.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

And here I thought a '5' would be a mid grade like VG :-)

Congrats on the book, BTW.

It would be a solid F if it has little or no 'Marvel chipping' and from the picture yours doesn't look to have much (if any).  At one point they used to ignore chipping when grading because it was such a common defect for Marvel books of that era (apparently caused by a dull blade at the printer).  I'd wager a bet the CGC system downgrades chipped books to further distinguish high grades.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if graders now take zoom photos, map out the whole cover to a grid and meticulously pour over every nook and cranny and take a collective average to determine the numbered grade.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version