Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Fantasy #15 is MINE!!! muahahah!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

I have no problem with grading and slabbing old comics, especially since they are investments.  I have trouble with new comics getting graded, slabbed, and sold on eBay for ten times what they are worth.  Well, I don't really have a problem with it, I just don't understand it.  
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 3:02am | IP Logged | 2  

If I want to sell it in the future what's the harm? If I wanna sell unslabbed comics...what's the harm? It's a collectable or Investment in someone's eyes.

••

THAT'S the harm.

In the past few decades we have seen comics transformed from disposable reading material into "collectibles", and the very manner in which they are "collected" has worked more and more against the notion that they are created to be READ -- until, of course, we reach a point where many of them are NOT.

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 3  

Screw CGC and everything they stand for. Comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. Period.

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 4  

If I want to just stare at the cover, I'll find a copy of the image online and look at it. I read my older comics, just very carefully.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 5  

"Comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. Period."

Just to have fun and throw this out there- if all comics were meant to be read and enjoyed- there might not be a copy of Amazing Fantasy left for anyone to buy. It's nice that copies of comics were "gently enjoyed" so that we can still enjoy them today. If that means enjoying them slabbed, well, to each his own. Someone years from now might also benefit from the fact that these vintage books are in plastic. And Fred does enjoy his book. And he can read a reprint. So what you're saying is that it has to be YOUR meaning of the word "enjoy"? :)

But really- spend the money on a book like that and see how you feel about cracking it open... Cuz I don't know what I would do. I can't imagine that most of the people slamming CGC have bought such a high end book.

"In the past few decades we have seen comics transformed from disposable reading material into "collectibles", and the very manner in which they are "collected" has worked more and more against the notion that they are created to be READ -- until, of course, we reach a point where many of them are NOT."

is there a cycle in which people learn NOT to do this? Isn't there a landfill of unread DEATH OF SUPERMAN books out there due to people realizing that they're worthless? I know every time I see one still in it's bag in a quarter box, I giggle a little...

The irony is that many things only become collectible when an object isn't treated that way from the start. Hence the rarity...
What's worse is an artificial collectible- low run, limited cover, blah blah blah.

Edited by Dave Aikins on 09 September 2010 at 10:12am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 6  

Just to have fun and throw this out there- if all comics were meant to be read and enjoyed- there might not be a copy of Amazing Fantasy left for anyone to buy.

••

Which would not be a bad thing. In fact, the industry as a whole would probably be a good deal more healthy if the "collector" and "speculator" mentalities had not come to play such an important role.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 7  

do you think that focusing on the collector is the same as focusing on a specific demographic? I tend to have more problem with the shift in content then the collector mentality.
Unfortunately, things like Pokemon have used the collector mentality on kids ("gotta catch them ALL!!!").

Isn't this more of a cultural shift in everything? Another example of the American "get rich quick" attitude we all love. Buy something and it'll be worth BIG MONEY later on. Just sit and wait!!!

Edited by Dave Aikins on 09 September 2010 at 10:55am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

do you think that focusing on the collector is the same as focusing on a specific demographic? I tend to have more problem with the shift in content then the collector mentality.

••

Essentially they are the same thing.

True, American comics -- superhero comics, in this case -- started addressing more "mature" themes quite a few years before the speculators began to make their presence felt as a driving force behind the sales of certain books. And, also true it was in some part the attention in the Real World Media that such "mature" material got (I'm thinking specifically here of the seemingly endless coverage, at the time, of Denny and Neal's GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW) that drew the early speculators to what they perceived as "hot" books (not a term much in use at the beginning).

But the shift to the Direct Sales Market, which was motivated entirely by the profit margin, worked a dramatic change on the industry -- we effectively slammed the door in the faces of our whole entry level audience, and with that came more and more product targeted for the people who seemed to have to most money and the least sense, the speculators. When the balloon burst in the early Nineties, it was because the greater part of the product had been turned over to the speculator market. The regular reader, especially the younger reader, had been completely abandoned.

A vicious circle, I suppose -- or, given the ultimate fate of the industry, perhaps something more akin to a vicious spiral!

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 9  

Just to have fun and throw this out there- if all comics were meant tobe read and enjoyed- there might not be a copy of Amazing Fantasy leftfor anyone to buy.

••

SER: I will never touch an original copy of "The Great Gatsby" but the 50th reprint version I purchased in a used bookstore years ago is still the most important book in my collection.

This reminds me of what I think "Toy Story 2" touches on very well.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2010 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm a reader first and a collector second. I can still enjoy my comics and not treat them like garbage. There's always been something neat to me about pullng a comic out to read that's 30 years old that I bought as a kid and it still looks like it just came off the rack.

Casey

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 September 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 11  

I can still enjoy my comics and not treat them like garbage.

••

Why is that an either/or?

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 September 2010 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 12  

It's not. That didn't come out the way I intended, my apologies.

Casey

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version