Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Fantasy #15 is MINE!!! muahahah!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 1  

Also supposed to be at NYCC in early October... me too.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

And MegaCon in March of next year! 

He is getting around.  Maybe we can start a "Where is Stan today?" thread!  =P

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

Does a signature of an artist or writer increase the value of a comic or page?  I remember JB said Terry Austin had him sign a stack of X-Men pages.  Personally, it wouldn't matter to me either way if I were a buyer.  It would be nice to have, but I would not pay more because it has a signature.

(I know Fred isn't only doing it for that reason.  I am just curious what people think.)

Edited by Wilson Mui on 07 September 2010 at 3:03pm
Back to Top profile | search

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

I know that it can increase the value for some collectors and I typically don't go after them, except when buying a piece of original art from an artist. In this case, the book is very important to me, is a piece of history and Stan Lee is the man.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wilson- I would say that on artwork, it would increase the value (but that's still depending on where it's signed, or if it's personalized).
As for comics, I thought there was some debate that signatures actually decreased the value....

but it's all silly anyway. Signatures are hard to prove, unless you're there seeing them signed, or the signer can verify, or a professional autograph dealer can verify, or....

Cuz I can get you a dozen signed Kirby books in an hour, easy! :)

That's the problem CGC is trying to "solve" with their "signature series" They are there on site to authenticate and slab. So you know it's real.
YOU. KNOW.

I think I'll be selling my only CGC book on ebay soon. It's Exciting Comics #40. If I can get a good amount for it, I'll have no reason to ever badmouth CGC. They did their job. Cuz without it being slabbed, it might be a $75 book. With the $40 slab, it might be a $300 book....
Worth a shot!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

I would never get something signed for the purpose of supposedly raising its value.  Autographs are worth something to me if I'm the one who walked up the to famous person and asked for it. Re-selling autographs is hard because how can you authenticate them?  That's where CGC actually might serve a purpose and make the autographs themselves truly valuable.  I don't know though, there aren't very many people I would pay for a signature from if I wasn't the person who stood in line to obtain it. 

I say autographs on artwork does very little to the value.  You're buying ARTWORK!!!!  That's what's cool about it.  If it's signed it's a mild bonus although it can even be a negative if it is signed....strangely or personalized. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

Oh yeah, also I understand them charging you again for sealing it back up.  Seems like they charge a lot and I'm not sure I buy into the whole CGC thing.  But in theory, if I did buy into it, it only makes sense that they would charge you again.  Once the seal is broken their prior rating is invalidated.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

Fred,

Hi, according to the GPA analysis the last recorded sale of an AF #15 CGC 5.0 went for $8400 in August of this year. The last recorded CGC 5.0 signature series signed by Stan Lee went for $11,495 in August of 2009. GPA isn't 100% as it doesn't account for private sales. So for "key" books like yours, history shows a signature does increase the value. Personally I'm not into that particular game, the books I have gotten signed were done because they have meaning to me and they'll stay in my collection. I do personally know people though who get dozens of books signed through the Signature Series just to turn them around for a quick buck.

Casey

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

Casey, I'd get it signed by Stan, because it'd be cool for me.

The CGC sale recorded in August was the book I bought. :)

The reason I brought up the events of today was because I found it interesting and, immediately offputting.

Casey Sager
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

Congrats on getting a sweet book that's a grail to many comic collecting folks :) Personally, if I were going to spend that much on a comic I would get a CGC copy of it as well. There's too many jokers out there trying to pull shady crap that I would want someone to do expert restoration detection on the book.

Casey

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 September 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 11  

I've decided that these slabbed books should be called "Schrödinger's Comics".

Like the dead/not dead cat in Schrödinger's famous thought experiment, slabbed books hover in a kind of non-existence, and the only way to make them "real" is to crack open the slab and thus "destroy" them.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2010 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

I've been collecting comics for 38 years.  I have TONS of comics. As I age I realize I can profit and pay some bills with my hobby.  I purchased Amazing Fantasy 15 about 6 years ago for $700.00.  Read it, slabbed it for $50.  If I want to sell it in the future what's the harm?  If I wanna sell unslabbed comics...what's the harm?  It's a collectable or Investment  in someone's eyes.  I don't get the hatred for a 3rd party grading system.  Most silver age stories are available in reprints anyway. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version