Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: First Class - 08.15.10 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've always liked it when super-teams have matching costumes:  the FF, Power Pack, (sometimes) the Doom Patrol, the Challengers of the Unknown, JB's Beta and Gamma Flights..... It's fun to think of them pulling together to get the job done, like other groups who wear uniforms:  the cops, the military, sports teams....and, of course, the Beatles.  
Back to Top profile | search

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A classic Image. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Wonderful how your interpretation captures the spirit of the original, and then expands on that kinetic Kirby energy. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 16 August 2010 at 6:20am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Love this! And I loved the original Kirby too, natch.

Just a tangential question: I've noted since seeing the original that the Angel was the only X-Man armed against Magneto -- not that I blame him! Is it difficult, JB, to work the Angel into stories where the foes possess immense strength or other powers that would more obviously be countered or at least defended directly against by another powerhouse? Against an enemy like Magneto, somebody might derogate from the Angel's unique mutant abilities as "well, he's just a guy with wings, what's he gonna do?!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Is it difficult, JB, to work the Angel into stories where the foes possess immense strength or other powers that would more obviously be countered or at least defended directly against by another powerhouse? Against an enemy like Magneto, somebody might derogate from the Angel's unique mutant abilities as "well, he's just a guy with wings, what's he gonna do?!"

••

Pretty much every story involving a group or team comes down to a delicate balancing act. Obviously, each member of the group needs to be highlighted in some appropriate fashion, but there is the problem that with some of the menaces faced, not everyone is on an equal footing. (Contrary to what some fans think, Batman could NOT defeat Galactus!)

When we're dealing with a character like Angel, it's sometimes surprising to realize he is the weak sister of the group. Unlike Scott, Jean and Bobby, for instance, he cannot strike from a distance. And unlike Hank, he does not have tremendous strength (tho he is, logically, stronger than a normal man of his size). In most stories, Angel's job very often becomes simply to LOOK GOOD! He is, obviously, the most SHOWY member of the original team.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Guess that's why Warren became ARCHANGEL for awhile... an attempt to make him a worthy adversary. JB, any interesting stories between you and the Simonsons during that particular arc in X-FACTOR?

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Cordier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I love the impact of the optic blast on Magneto's shield!  Really shows the level of power being employed by both characters.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Angel's/Archangel's new look makes me think he should be called "Batman"---his wings are so leathery.   I don't recall where I saw the picture, but it makes me appreciate JB's feathered commission just that much more.

Edited by Tony Midyett on 16 August 2010 at 9:33am

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

When we're dealing with a character like Angel, it's sometimes surprising to realize he is the weak sister of the group.++++

Look! The Weak Sister is charging at Juggernaut!

Just read it this morning. JB is right: this team is darn endearing!

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 16 August 2010 at 9:51am

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

And the team´s victory depended precisely on a maneuver the Angel pulled off! Good show, Stan and Jack.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Excellent comission.

I'm of those folks who like early Scott slim, and New X-Men Scott; who trained for years, atheltic as you draw him back in the days (yeah, even if it was because you were told to.), on the other hand, what i really do not like is super-heroes drawn as body-builders on steroids like many of them have been since the 90s.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 16 August 2010 at 10:00am

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2010 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I used to detest the Angel. It was only JB´s relentlessly great writing that brought me around in XMHY.

I used to think that becoming DEATH had been the best thing that ever happened to him (and part of me still thinks it´d have been smarter to keep him on Apocalypse´s er...stable).

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version