Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Dark Phoenix Saga HC (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 1  

I was going to say that whoever did the "paste up" work on that cover should be cutting lawns or digging ditches. Terrible placement. Very unprofessional and ugly.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 2  

THIS is a cover:

Back to Top profile | search

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 3  

That, Flavio, is something to hang on one's wall...

Marc Guggenheim
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 4  

30 years...  And it feels like yesterday I was reading JB's triple-sized celebration of the FF's 20-year anniversary...

Jeff Bell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wow--I've never seen that particular cover! What a gorgeous rendering of Ms. Grey ... Thanks for posting it!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 2:50am | IP Logged | 6  

When I was a kid, my best friend next door put me onto comics. I think he'd picked up a good deal of knowledge from a college student who lived down the street and ultimately gave my friend his comics when he moved away. That guy had known his stuff. He had the Korvac Saga, Byrne/Claremont X-Men, Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, all the cool stuff of the late 70s and early 80s.

The way my buddy spoke about the Dark Phoenix Story was with a hushed reverence. He knew its backstory, too, and was particularly fascinated with the relationship of Scott and Jean. I remember he had some reprints I read of early Lee/Kirby X-Men books when Scott was still working up the courage to confess his love to Jean. So for a kid at least, I had a sense of their relationship when I finally tracked down the legendary #137 and paid (as I recall) the princely sum of $8.

Reading that was like being allowed to thumb through the Guttenberg or the First Folio. My friend had really impressed upon me the weight the story carried, and whatever the consequences of the rise of event-based comics, this one was one of the greats.

Just thinking back on it, I can recall how sad the story made me feel. I'd always liked the excitement of comics, but it was nice to really be moved.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 7  

The first TPB I ever bought was the first Dark Phoenix Saga collection (at least I believe it was the first---Bill Sienkiewicz did the cover).  I read and re-read that book until the spine split down the middle, and pages began to come loose.  Good times from JB and Co.!

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 8  

I have this story in the TPB Tony describes (and is now in almost the same condition as well!), in the Greek translated X-Men bi-monthlies, in the Essentials volume and the original books. What a story. What a superhero comics milestone. I always enjoy re-reading it and the final three chapters with Dark Phoenix are out of this world.
If I see this collection up close and like it, I may end up buying it. But the cover design is so messed up that I doubt it...

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 9  

I bought 136 and 137 off the newsstands - I had been reading my brother's scatter shot of JB and Dave Cockrum issues.  I had to get my hands on more issues to see what was happening with the mutants.

Seeing the cover to 137 was exciting - double pages and it had Cyclops on the cover.  He was the character I felt I could identify with the most, so the whole thing was pretty shocking and had a big effect on me.  Moving around the country from place to place, I think I really connected with the mutants' outsider status.

It wasn't until the trade came out that I could fully read the whole story.  Throughout middle school I tracked down most of it, but I don't think I read 135 until the first trade was issued.  It felt like it took me forever to fill in the gaps.

And that was part of the fun.

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 10  

If it means plunking down $75 for the issues I already have (in various forms), I'll just stick with the TPB.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 11  

Expensive reprints really expand the boundaries of greed, when you think about it. These things are free money not only to me, but to the publishers as well. If they want to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of this story, why not put out something universally accessible -- you know, like the comics themselves were, originally!

Pierre Villeneuve
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 12  

I agree that $75 was overpriced... but it was such a good looking book... it was tough to not buy it.

Love that story.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version