Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Dark Phoenix Saga HC (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

Just saw this in a store today.  The coloring on the cover did not look like what has been posted.  It was much darker and looked more like the original cover.
Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

I wasn't looking for this as I didn't know it was out, but I will pick it up.  I think I have every collection of "Dark Phoenix Saga" - it's a big moment in my childhood reading.

I think this was pointed out on the big X-Men commission thread, but there is no single edition where you can get all of JB's issues together.  The closest is two books, with the "Essentials" series.  In hardcover, there is the Marvel Masterworks/Omnibus, but I don't believe there is a hardcover "Days of Future Past" in the Masterworks series.  I only have it in paperback.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 3  

...I don't believe there is a hardcover "Days of Future Past" in the Masterworks series.

Actually, there is. Marvel Masterworks currently goes up to Issue 150 of Uncanny X-Men, so all the Claremont-Byrne-Austin issues have been Masterworked. The Days of Future Past storyline is in Uncanny X-Men Volume 6 (Volume 90 of the classic numbering system.)

In January 2011, Uncanny X-Men Volume 7 (Volume 151 under the classic numbering system) will collect Uncanny X-Men 151-159 and Annual 5 (plus as a bonus Avengers Annual 10).

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged | 4  

Thank you, Matthew - that slipped under my radar.  I'm on the The Hunt!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 5  

This HC should be arriving Monday. Like I stated in the new comics thread this week, I have the originals, the Classic X-Men reprints, the Essentials, the Masterworks and now this Omnibus. Like Next Men, this is the only run of comics that I've purchased in every format.

I do agree with Brad. I would have preferred this to just be the continuation of the last Omnibus and finshed up JB's run. But I bought this at 50% off so no big complaints about price.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

I know that X-Men #1 by Claremont & Lee is supposed to be the best selling comic of all time, but I wonder if that count collected editions and reprints? I ask because I know many a comic collector who doesn't have X-Men #1. I don't know anybody who has ever collected, that doesn't have a copy of the Dark Phoenix Saga in some shape or form.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

As much as I don't like much of modern coloring, that cover color isn't bad.

Flavio I understand what you mean about the Sienkiewicz cover. It's a stunning image, but a Byrne cover wold be more appropriate.

Steve Lightle did fantastic covers for the Dark Phoenix run in Classic X-Men( all his covers were great)

JB what do you think of the Sienkiewicz and Lightle covers for the Dark Phoenix story?

Edited by Robert LaGuardia on 01 August 2010 at 4:10pm

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 3:38am | IP Logged | 8  

Looking on Amazon, there is a Dark Phoenix Saga HC available, but it's not a 30th Anniversary Edition according to the picture. Is this version out yet?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 9  

Free money or no, given the amount of damage this storyline did, ultimately, to the industry as a whole ("Death Sells!!"), I wish Marvel would just STOP reprinting it. Move on, fer cryin' out loud. As the cover notes, it has been 30 YEARS!!

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 10  

Considering it's the only collected story that gives Watchmen a run for its money all these years, as far as I know, I guess I prefer it being reprinted just to show how a good superhero story can be done.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 11  

BTW, did the actually print the X-Men logo like that?!? The upper part should be parallel to the book edge, not like this! Half the "X" is almost missing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 12  

Thanos - it was X'ed out!

(Why my brain works this way I'll never know)

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version