Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Bring back the yellow oval! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 1  

lets get back the real utility belt

I'm pro this as well.

Back to Top profile | search

Don Bohm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 2  

Ya, Miller's explanation about the oval was way overthinking things.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 3  

Leave it off.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 4  

I am conflicted: on the one hand I pretty much grew up with the oval; on the other hand, when it disappeared, I was kinda glad, from an aesthetic point of view.  But now, nostalgically speaking, I do miss it.

JB: "How many of the hoods in Gotham do you reckon are marksmen? How many, with the Batman bearing down on them, would really take the trouble to aim? And how many, if they did, would aim at his heart, rather than, say, the lower half of his face -- the only part of his body they KNOW isn't armored?"

They wouldn't take the trouble to aim; it's more of an unconscious action.  Psychologically-trained Batman is counting on their eyes being drawn to that yellow oval - the criminals' mindseyes take in this massive dark shape - with this one, glaring bright spot.  The lower half of the face isn't a kill shot.  Even at a quick glance, the oval is seen as centrally-located -- and that's heart territory, a much higher percentage for a successful kill shot.  Without taking time to think and consciously aim, they instinctively home in on the oval, desperately squeeze off a shot (or burst, if it's a machine gun), and, by the time they collect themselves enough to actually direct their next shot to where it'll do some good (well, bad, really), it's too late -- the Batman is already upon them...

Of course, the first time Batman runs into an armed, evil psychologist-marksman, he's so screwed...

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 5  

How many of the hoods in Gotham do you reckon are marksmen? How many, with the Batman bearing down on them, would really take the trouble to aim? And how many, if they did, would aim at his heart, rather than, say, the lower half of his face -- the only part of his body they KNOW isn't armored?

Anyone that undergoes any sort of firearms training would be taught to target center mass. That's the easiest part of the body to hit. Heads and arms move too much and are unreliable targets when things get hectic. 

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 6  

I too, shall pass on the oval.

Jamal Washington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 7  

I don't care either way...it's still Batman, especially with something like the oval being removed is a very small change.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 8  

No-val.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 9  

The irony is, DC added the oval to make the chest emblem into something more specific, so they could trademark it -- but all they really succeeded in doing was making it easier to do knockoffs!

If most people see a bat, they don't automatically think "Batman". But if they see just about any variant on the oval version, they do. For instance, after the first Tim Burton movie came out, I was at a local crafts fair, where one booth was offering a little item that looked sorta like this:

I hung around the booth for a while, and didn't hear anybody asking what it was. Kids, adults, you name it -- they all saw it and said "Batman!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 10  

"How many of the hoods in Gotham do you reckon are marksmen? How many, with the Batman bearing down on them, would really take the trouble to aim? And how many, if they did, would aim at his heart, rather than, say, the lower half of his face -- the only part of his body they KNOW isn't armored?"

They wouldn't take the trouble to aim; it's more of an unconscious action. Psychologically-trained Batman is counting on their eyes being drawn to that yellow oval - the criminals' mindseyes take in this massive dark shape - with this one, glaring bright spot. The lower half of the face isn't a kill shot. Even at a quick glance, the oval is seen as centrally-located -- and that's heart territory, a much higher percentage for a successful kill shot. Without taking time to think and consciously aim, they instinctively home in on the oval, desperately squeeze off a shot (or burst, if it's a machine gun), and, by the time they collect themselves enough to actually direct their next shot to where it'll do some good (well, bad, really), it's too late -- the Batman is already upon them...

••

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 11  

I can take it or leave it.  I guess most of the Batman comics I think of fondly feature him WITH the oval so I'll give that a slight edge over the non-oval.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 12  

Dan Bohm wrote:
Ya, Miller's explanation about the oval was way overthinking things.

The notion that Batman wears body armor period is way overthinking things.

The period when Batman had the oval (at least, the first 15 or so years) was one of the best periods in his history, story-wise.  I guess that's part of the reason I'm fond of it.  I'd be happy though if they simply brought back the character that wore the oval.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version