Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Bring back the yellow oval! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 1  

I gotta agree with Benjamin. That Aparo Batman is what comes to mind when I think of Batman.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 2  

"What comes to mind" usually translates as "What I saw first."

In my own case, for instance, I had drawn Batman many times before I came to do BATMAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA, yet when I drew him for the first time in that book, looking as he had in the first Batman story I read, with the short ears, the big square chin, the half moon eyes, and, the open-for-color cape, cowl, gloves and boots (not to mention no oval!) something inside my head said There he is!

It was like a reunion with an old friend.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 3  

Mine is the Len Wein/Irv Novick & Don Newton one. Denny O'Neil wasn't far away either.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 4  

It's natural, of course, for the first version of a character one "met" to be the version that first comes to mind. Dick Sprang's version is the "right" Batman for JB, because that's the one he first met.

The Adams/Aparo look is "right" for me, becaue that's the one I first met. Nostalgia is a powerful force!

However, I've trained myself not to automatically assume that the first version of a character I met is the best. On a dramatic, aesthetic, and "realistic" level, the Classic Batman look (black-gray outfit, cylinder belt, and plain black bat-emblem) is probably the best.

But my childhood self loves that Adams/Aparo, more "superhero-y" look.

Something else I find interesting is the "hybrid" look--the Adams design (long ears, etc.) withOUT the yellow oval. JB basically did this in MOS.

That look doesn't entirely compute for me--my conception of Batman usually boils down to the two basic looks that have had the most longevity--Sprang (short ears, no oval, stockier build) and Adams (long ears, oval, slim build).

I rather liked the idea used in the 80s and 90s--Batman had the oval-less version of the costume earlier in his career, and the then-current version had the oval. Stories set in Batman's past then could easily be identified by the oval (since the LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT series often told stories from earlier in Batman's career, this made it easier to tell past from present).

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 03 August 2010 at 10:34am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 5  

Agreed, Greg. The first Batman I ever saw was the SUPERFRIENDS one. Pretty sure that's not the first one that comes to mind.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 6  

I'm late to the oval discussion. (Oval-late?)

I will admit the oval was a handy cue back in the day to differentiate between the Earth-1 and the Earth-2 Batman's, and -- like Greg --to distinguish between Batman early in his career versus Batman down the road.

That said, I'm quite fine without it.

Pierre Villeneuve
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 7  

Count me amongst those who misses the yellow oval. :(
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 8  

Matthew wrote:
I'm late to the oval discussion. (Oval-late?)

Or maybe ovally late.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 9  

I like the Aparo/Adams Batman (oval and cylinder utility belt). I am not a big fan of the light blue cape and cowl, though. My preference would be a dark -- almost midnight blue -- or black with blue highlights. I think that's how Batman's cape and cowl were depicted in the FOX Batman series.

I also like the non-oval look. I think the Batman of the Justice League cartoon was the closest to combining the best of both worlds (his belt was not as pouchy as the one from Justice League).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Francis Grey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 10  

Purely on an aesthetic level, the two touches of bright yellow on the Oval and the Utility belt are a very appealing contrast to the intentionally drab overall color scheme.  

It's pretty!

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

I guess I don't mind either one, though the oval has been the one I picture when I imagine the character, ovalless looks just as good, what I don't like are belt pouches, treads on his boots, seams, etc.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

mmm, Don Newton penciling Batman in Detective Comics.  Those were the good old days...

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version