Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: John Byrne’s Favorite covers (not his own) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Joe, many of JB's covers are in the checklist area. However, not all of them have images. Here are my favorite. I think I've narrowed it down.

10.) Incredible Hulk # 314: I had never read many Hulk comics before this issue. (Maybe two or three max.) This cover has everything in it to make a first time reader excited to purchase that comic. Villians galore and a Hulk that looks amazing.

9.) Blood of the Demon # 13: This cover is a testament to how wonderful JB's art was for this series. The mood and tone of the storyline is already set by just this image.

8.) Wolverine # 17: At first look this cover is just a simple image of Wolverine lashing out. However, it is very important in the scheme of me collecting comics. I had quit reading comics in high school. But seeing this cover at a local flea market brought this hobby back into full swing. Plus it was the ultimate symbol that Byrne and Wolverine were back together! Very iconic.

7.) Avengers # 187: The entire team of Avengers at the mercy of the Witch on Wundagore Mountain. Who in their right mind wouldn't want to read that?

6.) Fantastic Four # 238: JB has a knack for also making some pretty humorous covers. Doctor Doom does not appear inside this comic is my favorite of that bunch.

5.) Superman # 9: Superman and Joker are one and the same? You had to pick this comic up to find out more.

4.) Captain America # 249: I loved the action, the various robots looking like other heroes/villians. Just a perfect cover for Cap.

3.) Next Men # 16: JB putting the Next Men in super-hero costumes. I loved the results. 

2.) Uncanny X-Men # 133: Not only is this issue the finest issue of JB's X-Men run, it is topped by one of the best covers of all time. Wolverine is completely bad-ass. I can't imagine any child skipping this issue if they saw it on a spinner rack.

1.) Daredevil # 200: This would make the top five of my all time favorite covers list. It is the purest way to judge a cover. I didn't collect Daredevil. But I bought this comic soley for the cover. DD looked battered yet still getting the upper hand on Bullseye. Who looks like he might never appear in a comic again. You had to find out what happened before this image occurs. I don't even recall the actual story inside. But that cover will stick in my head forever.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

"6.) Fantastic Four # 238: JB has a knack for also making some pretty humorous covers. Doctor Doom does not appear inside this comic is my favorite of that bunch."

I've thought an homage to that cover would make a cool commission.  Doom holding a sign that reads, "Doctor Doom Does Not Appear in this Commission."

Thanks for sharing, Paul!  We had three in common in our top ten.  That's interesting.  A couple of the others you mentioned were narrow cuts for me!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

Joe, same here. A few of your choices almost made my list. I would be hard pressed to argue with any list.

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Uncanny X-Men # 141 hands down.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

If it doesn't have Dr. Doom, it can't be on the list. 

At all.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 6  

Its hard to pick a top 10, but my favorite Uncanny X-Men cover by JB is #136, with # 141 close behind.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Right....Top ten favourite Byrne covers.....not sure if I can list them in any order but here are my best ten....

Uncanny X-men #115....Sauron...nuff said!

Fantastic Four #259.....Doom and Tyros (Terrax)...if I ever got a commission it would probably be a re-imagining of this!

Fantastic Four #238.....Loved it, loved it!!!

Fantastic Four #242.....Again.....Terrax!

Fantastic Four #245...Sue Richards on her own against Franklin (?)!!

Fantastic Four #236.....soooo many characters!!!!

Iron Fist #8....(Romita hand aside of course!)

Blood of the Demon #1....nearly bid on this on ebay!!!! sooooo wish I had!!!!

Uncanny X-men #137 - iconic cover!!!!

Uncanny X-men #138.....awesome!!!! Couldnt wait to read this book....the sign of a cover doing its job!!!!

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2010 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm not going to make a top 10 list since it would take too long to think about all the JB covers I remember and then I'd end up editing the thing 50 times as I remembered ones I forgot, but I'll say this much:

my favorite JB cover and perhaps my favorite cover of all time is JB's Superman # 1. It's perfect. Artistically it's a great piece of work and it shows enough of what the story is about to pull a potential reader in like a powerful magnet. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2010 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 9  

That Man of Steel #1 variant, with the shirt ripping open to reveal the "s"---that's a keeper!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version