Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Alan Moore and the Rights to Watchmen (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 1  

Let's assume, for argument's sake, that all the definitions people here are making up of the word "Deconstruction" in order to use it as stick to beat Moore with are correct.

So what?

Can anyone seriously argue that the "Deconstruction" found in Swamp Thing is the same as in Promethea? Or Supreme? or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Are his intents and purposes all the same in all of them?

If Moore's "Deconstruction" is his One Trick, then it's one hell of a varied and adaptive trick. And given the acclaim he has received for it, it's a One Trick a lot of writers would kill for.
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 2  

Are his intents and purposes all the same in all of them?

---

Taking pre-existing characters and stories and perverting them to serve his own needs at the cost of making the original stories seem less sophisticated than his own opinions of them?

The answer to your question is a most emphatic yes. 

And I say this as the owner of most of those works I listed. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 3  

f Moore's "Deconstruction" is his One Trick, then it's one hell of a varied and adaptive trick. And given the acclaim he has received for it, it's a One Trick a lot of writers would kill for.

++++

I am afraid the "acclaim" comes from either people who are embarrassed they are reading superhero comics or people who think too little of the sub-genre itself. As such, it's something I hope less and less writers follow suit.
Frankly, I have read some of his stories, and while I have found some interesting (like V for Vendetta), I find the ones dealing with superheroes irritating.
Lost Girls is pure puke.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
I am afraid the "acclaim" comes from either people who are embarrassed they are reading superhero comics or people who think too little of the sub-genre itself. As such, it's something I hope less and less writers follow suit.

Ok, do you have any other explanation for the acclaim (no need for air quotes, he is indeed the most acclaimed comic book writer ever) for Alan Moore other than fictitious mind reading of elusive embarrassed readers?

Unless, of course, you do have telepathic powers. In that case I'll apologize for ever doubting you.

QUOTE:
Taking pre-existing characters and stories and perverting them to serve his own needs at the cost of making the original stories seem less sophisticated than his own opinions of them?

What preexisting character did he take with Promethea? What stories did he pervert with Supreme? And he perverted and made the original stories seem less sophisticate, why did Len Wein didn't seem to mind when he did it to Swamp Thing, a character he created, when he edited Moore on the book?

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 5  

I like deconstruction stories so that's probably why I like Alan Moore so much. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 6  

What preexisting character did he take with Promethea?

----

Wasn't the "Golden Age" Promethea and William Woolcott a pastiche of Wonder Woman and William Marston?

Also:

"MOORE: As far as I can remember, the original idea behind Promethea was to come up with something that worked as a mainstream superhero character, maybe looked a bit like Wonder Woman or Doctor Strange in a weak light, and which would enable me to explore the magical concepts that I was interested in before a mainstream comics audience that may never have encountered these ideas before (and may very possibly never have wanted to)." -EGOMANIA #2

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 7  

he is indeed the most acclaimed comic book writer ever

He is?

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 8  

Eric White wrote:
I like deconstruction stories...

See, I think many people do, Eric, which is why the relationship between superheroes and Westerns came to mind. I bet there are many, many fans of Unforgiven and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly here. And they wouldn't say Sergio Leone was pissing on classic Westerns - they'd just say he made a different kind of Western and did a great job with it. They don't find Eastwood contemptuous of Westerns because Unforgiven's cast are such subversions of the traditional white hat heroes.

Disliking the influence of Watchmen I can understand. Finding certain story elements weak or derivative I can understand. But having issues with it over it's lack of heroism makes no more sense than having an issue with Unforgiven for its lack of heroism.

Edited by Tim Farnsworth on 02 August 2010 at 10:00am

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

...Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow... [is] in NO WAY deconstructionist.

American literary critic J. Hills Miller describes deconstruction:

“Deconstruction is not a dismantling of the structure of a text, but a demonstration that it has already dismantled itself. Its apparently-solid ground is no rock, but thin air."

Alan Moore from Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow:

"This is an Imaginary Story... Aren't they all?"

Nope, no deconstruction there. Nothing to see, people, Move along...

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

"This is an Imaginary Story... Aren't they all?"

Nope, no deconstruction there. Nothing to see, people, Move along...

+++++++

I would say Moore was right...... judging by the number of times DC has rebooted their characters!!

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

Agapito, it doesn't take mind reading to form an opinion based on people's reactions. No telepathy is needed to reed between the lines. This is an opinion based on the vast majority of people I know that have read and adores Watchmen. The people who don't like it are at the opposite pole.
And I stand by my opinion. I don't give a rat's ass to persuade you.

Edited by Thanos Kollias on 02 August 2010 at 1:15pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2010 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

I am afraid the "acclaim" comes from either people who are embarrassed they are reading superhero comics or people who think too little of the sub-genre itself.

You may not gve a rat's ass, Thanos, but this ground has been gone over ad nauseam.

I'm so unembarrassed about reading superhero comics that I have Captain America's shield in my car windscreen. I think superheroes are part of a noble literary tradition including heroes in religion, mythology and folklore. And I like and respect Alan Moore's work. So when you write what you wrote, you're just wrong.

IMP.

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version