Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Alan Moore and the Rights to Watchmen (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 1  

Just out of curiosity what was changed in Dark Knight Returns?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 2  

JB cheap shotslike "we could only wish" really cheapen your position.(but ians battles are not mine to fight…••

And therefore. . . ?

==

Just because it is not my fight does not mean that i am not allwed to point out that a cheap shot weakens your arguement.

Indeed it doesn't!

But it does rather weaken your own argument to POINT OUT that it's not your "fight".

========

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is a book that came after WATCHMEN. Frank was working on it around the same time I was working on MAN OF STEEL. Jenette was handing out xeroxes of WATCHMEN as the work came in. I was unimpressed. Frank changed direction halfway thru DKR. The WATCHMEN effect was that fast, and that early.

++

Really?

••

Yes, really.

++

Since the first issue of watchmen came out 3 months after Dark Knight, I find it hard to see how much of an effect it had on Frank Miller's work.

••

"Frank was working on it around the same time I was working on MAN OF STEEL. Jenette was handing out xeroxes of WATCHMEN as the work came in."

++

How many issues had Mr Miller done on Dark Knight when the Watchmen Xeroxes were shown?

••

"Frank changed direction halfway thru DKR."

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 3  

The apparrent lack of reading comprehension explains ALOT!

...but this isn't my fight, so please disregard my comment.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

Remember when the most heated comic book debates were along the lines of "So, who's stronger: Thor or the Hulk?"

MIke Keane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

@Brian:He just said Frank was "halfway thru" the series. Surely you can do the math.

==================================

Brian I am fully calpable of doing the math as you say, but thanks for the snark.

Its appreciated as a new poster, but at least i have established that you are some one I have no beed to talk to

MIke Keane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2010 at 11:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

@JB

Indeed it doesn't!

But it does rather weaken your own argument to POINT OUT that it's not your "fight".

===================r=====================

Actually it does not, just because rudeness does not directly affect me does not mean I should not point it out or address it when it happens.

Much like many of lifes other issues, or should people only do something about problems that affect only them?

=========================================

@JB"Frank changed direction halfway thru DKR."

====================================

You know what, I understand what halfway thru means, my point was that since watchmen came out in september and the third issue of dark knight came out no later than april may, i wonder how much of watchmen would have been finished by then, and how much of an affect it would of had on the way Mr Miller wrote Dark Knight.

JB this really since this is an honest question on my behalf, so i would appreciate an honest answer.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
I had a ton of reading options and far more all-ages material to choose from than the handful of books in a depressingly small all-ages line from either of the big two or the extremely limited all-ages output by just about every publisher save Archie.  To say that kids have more options now in this fragmented, disjointed, comic book publishing world is patently absurd.  To say that is either being blindly optimistic or intentionally obtuse.

And I'm saying that tens of millions of copies of Diary of a Wimpy Kid are being sold and circulated through libraries, a million copies of Bone are in readers' hands, Archie's still got a strong newsstand presence, there are thousands of book collections and mangas available to kids through libraries, Amazon and bookstores that weren't around when we were kids (you've got nine years on me, but I think we still had pretty similar comic-reading/buying experiences growing up), and there's tons of stuff available on the Internet. 

The newsstand isn't much of an option for today's kids, but that's been the case for almost 20 years, thanks to the publishers.  Monthly comics for kids are a dying market, but they have been for 20 years, at least.  But traditional book publishers have been branching out into comics pretty aggressively this past decade, so yeah, I'm optimistic.  To say that kids have fewer options now is ignoring the fact that pop culture has fragmented like crazy over the past decade, and it only works if you're looking at monthly Marvel and DC Comics as the only real choice for comics readers.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 8  

I wonder if Frank changing gears halfway through Dark Knight Returns was one of the factors of the increasing lateness of the final two issues? At the time I thought it was similar to Ronin - he just failed to meet the deadline but now I wonder.

There is, without doubt, a shift in issue 3, in tone, content and art style.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 9  

Been a long time since I've read Dark Knight and I have to say, I don't recall a stylistic shift in it, but then again...it's been a long time since I've read it. Will have to revisit sometime this week.

I do know Frank made some notable changes in DK2 midway through because 9/11 occurred smack dab in the middle of it. Made the final volume decidedly late as I recall.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 10  

Been a long time since I've read Dark Knight and I have to say, I don't recall a stylistic shift in it…

••

Not stylistic (tho Batman does go thru a Marv-like metamorphosis, starting out as a regular sized guy and ending as the Hulk in a Bat-suit). I'm talking about a TONAL shift.

DKR opens with a TV anchor reporting on the tenth anniversary of the last public appearance of the Batman, and going on to say that no one knows what happened to him, but that she hopes he's happy and "sharing a drink with a friend" (or some equivalent).

Then Frank read the WATCHMEN xeroxes, and abruptly we found out that, as in WATCHMEN, superheroes had been banned and Superman had become a government stooge. (It's actually a bit earlier than the halfway mark in DKR -- more like halfway thru the second issue.)

These kinds of shifts are not uncommon in Frank's work. Most of the time they are invisible, and you really need to know what was going on "behind the scenes" to even spot them.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 11  

I was watching a few minutes of the WATCHMEN movie on cable last night, and I found myself musing on the notion of a "prequel" or sequel to the original comicbook series.

In WATCHMEN, Moore inverted -- I might say perverted -- pretty much everything the superhero genre is all about. He was not the first to do so, but WATCHMEN was the first time we got it all in such a concentrated dose. Largely, this seems to have happened because Moore is very much a one trick pony. The one trick works for him and his fans, so no problem there, I guess. But this got me to thinking about who would be a suitable candidate to produce another round of WATCHMEN.

The thought began to take shape in my head that any revisiting of those characters should be a continuation of the "tradition" of WATCHMEN. That is, as Moore trashed everything superheroes were all about, the next go-round should do the same with WATCHMEN itself. So the ideal candidate for doing the project should be someone who is equally a one trick pony, but from the opposite end of the spectrum. Immediately, one name sprang to the forefront: Rob Liefeld.

No, I'm not kidding. Liefeld would be to WATCHMEN what Moore was to superheroes in general. And it would be such fun to watch a whole flock of retailer's heads exploding, as they tried to serve two entirely different faces of mammon!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 12  

"starting out as a regular sized guy and ending as the Hulk in a Bat-suit"

I remember seeing this as a kid and thinking the story must somehow involve Batman being mutated into a monster of some sort:

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version