Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

I did really like JB's statement (relayed from someone else, I believe), that Image was trying to be Marvel in the worst way. Looks like DC's been trying to do the same for a while now.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

..A few years back I had a conversation with a newly installed Upper Level editorial wizard at DC who described their upcoming plans using entirely Marvel stories from twenty and thirty years earlier. "This will be our Kree/Skrull War, and this will be our SECRET WARS, and this will be our Death of Phoenix. . . " etc, etc. ...

++

Hmm, DC did have a Rann-Thanagar War (ala the "Kree/Skrull war") a couple of years ago. I wonder if that was one of the projects that editor put together?

••

That's the one to which I was referring. I tried to point out that Rann and Thanagar hold nothing like the same positions in the DCU as do the Kree and the Skrull in the MU, but the point was lost. Too many trees in the way for people to see that particular forest.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

I picked up Wonder Woman #600 for George Perez's lead story. The story in the back is the first part of JMS' run. There's no "new direction" here at all, in the sense that this is the same grim-and-gritty garbage Image and Rob Liefeld were wallowing in two decades ago. OK, it's better drawn than that, but I honesty cannot distinguish this new Wonder Woman story from any given issue of Witchblade.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 03 July 2010 at 10:19pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2010 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

What was the deal in Perez's story?

I mean, it has to've been what - a decade? two? - since last he worked on the character. I loved his stuff back in the day, though.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2010 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

I stopped reading DC's crossover events quite a while back.  Did the Rann/Thanagar War have anything going for it at all?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

What was the deal in Perez's story?

I mean, it has to've been what - a decade? two? - since last he worked on the character. I loved his stuff back in the day, though.

Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking why he's among the creators in this issue? Or are you asking about a change in his art?

Edited by Mike Norris on 04 July 2010 at 11:38pm

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 7  

Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear. I guess asking "what's the deal with" something is pretty sloppy language, but I'm going to blame it on Seinfeld reruns and we'll just press on...

I just wondered what Perez's story was about. That is, is it a lead in to the costume/origin change stuff of JMS's? Or a nod back to his own 80s run? Or something else entirely?

His 80s run on Wonder Woman was one of my absolute favorite books in that era and I might pick WW #600 up if it was directly tied to that. If he's just tipping his hat to the new regime, maybe not.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 12:44am | IP Logged | 8  

Tony Midyett wrote:
I stopped reading DC's crossover events quite a while back.  Did the Rann/Thanagar War have anything going for it at all?

I can't speak to the mini itself, which seemed weak based on browse-throughs. However I did read and do recommend the Adam Strange miniseries that ended up a prelude to it. Andy Diggle wrote it and Pasqual Ferry had some amazing artwork. I thought his redesign of Adam Strange's costume kept the Flash Gordon tone of the original while updating the specifics.

The Rann/Thanagar mini and its ancillary books were (I think) an opportunity for DC to modernize its cosmic universe the way Marvel would quite successfully with the Annihilation miniseries and all the Abnett and Lanning follow-through. I think DC blew it, but Adam Strange was a rare bright spot.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 9  

I just wondered what Perez's story was about. That is, is it a lead in to the costume/origin change stuff of JMS's? Or a nod back to his own 80s run? Or something else entirely?

Stand alone story written by Gail Simone that lets WW team up with DC's heroines and offers some closure to the WW era that Perez started.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 10  

Okay, that's interesting enough I'd like to at least take a look. I think my shop sold out but there;s maybe more on the way?

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 11  

So I finally read the NYT article. Is it still of the general opinion that the writer is full of contempt by what was actually written?

Charles Tyus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 12  

more contempt...over this July 4th weekend I was as my in-laws house and picked up a recent TV Guide and inside was an article pertaining to the Greatest American Hero marathon that was taking place over the weekend.  The author of the article referred to the suit as, and I quote,"a magic pair of jammies"

Edited by Charles Tyus on 05 July 2010 at 10:37am

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version