Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 1  

I don't really understand all the hoopla. From the interview, this is not meant to be a permanent change but a story arc. Just like "Blue Superman", his death and the four replacement Supermen, Batman's broken back and Az-Bat,  John Walker Captain America and Stever Rogers as the Captain. It's a "journey" story, getting away from the familiar and predictable surroundings and working back to it. Doesn't even sound like a bad idea as it effectively allows JMS to write the character and book without having to worry about getting hijacked into some crossover or event since she's effectively out of the current continuity.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 2  

"I don't really understand all the hoopla."

Almost ten years ago a lot of people didn't understand why Ultimate Marvel was such a problem. It was supposed to be a crazy little detour with the characters, anyways. But then the detour suddenly became a highway ...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 3  

Still don't see why its a problems. The stories have been a great ride.

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 4  

Doesn't even sound like a bad idea as it effectively allows JMS to write the character and book without having to worry about getting hijacked into some crossover or event since she's effectively out of the current continuity.

It effectively allows JMS to write a completely different character. Look, I don't know Wonder Woman very well, but I do know her origin.  I may not know all the permutations of her character through the years, but i do know who she is.  I think I could write a decent Wonder Woman yarn without needing to change who she is. 

Edited by Donald Miller on 02 July 2010 at 7:32am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 5  

"The stories have been a great ride."

Well, at the very least somebody's been having fun.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 6  

Someone should amend the thread title. This is beneath contempt.
Back to Top profile | search

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 7  

How do you compare this to the Ultimate which was about a whole separate line and meant to be an ongoing imprint from the start? The Ultimate line was never meant to be a detour but a completely different journey with about the same starting point.

Yes, it's an ugly costume. Yes, under JMS we'll probably get 12 issues over the course of two years with a lot of pretentiousness along the way. But, from what the article says, from the start it's meant to be a temporary detour with the character, none of the usual b.s. "the character will be changed forever like nothing you've ever seen before!" As usual, the media has jumped on the bandwagon of completely blowing the press release out of proportion and everyone seems to be following suit. It's an over-arcing story arc and then the writer will probably move on which seems to be the pattern these days. Nothing more.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 8  

Yes, it's an ugly costume. Yes, under JMS we'll probably get 12 issues over the course of two years with a lot of pretentiousness along the way. But, from what the article says, from the start it's meant to be a temporary detour with the character, none of the usual b.s. "the character will be changed forever like nothing you've ever seen before!" As usual, the media has jumped on the bandwagon of completely blowing the press release out of proportion and everyone seems to be following suit. It's an over-arcing story arc and then the writer will probably move on which seems to be the pattern these days. Nothing more.

••

I think you are forgetting how comics have worked for the past couple of decades. Even "imaginary stories" have impact on mainstream continuity, if enough people like 'em. When he did DARK KNIGHT, Frank Miller had no idea (or intention) that he was charting the course for Batman for the next twenty years or more.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 9  

When he did DARK KNIGHT, Frank Miller had no idea (or intention) that he was charting the course for Batman for the next twenty years or more.

If he did have that idea or intention, do you think he still would've done it?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 10  

i've already resigned myself to the fact that today's comic books aren't my cup of tea in their portrayal of most of my favorite super heroes. i'm sure it's happened to other generations and i'm just grateful to be able to pick up my favorite back issues and enjoy a good read with good artwork.

In Wonder Woman's case, i'll go with Perez's reboot and JB's run.

-C!

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 11  

Not really forgetting, I just don't think in this case there will be as much of an impact. JMS just doesn't have that kind of clout and this look doesn't have anything what I'd take as being iconic. Especially considering all the initial outpouring of people not liking it out of the starting gate.

We have in place already writers doing retcons designed to be the new status quo from here on out with no end in sight and their takes designed to be THE default character. This is almost refreshing as compared to ideas like One More Day, wetworks killer Bucky, Infinite Crisis, Cry For Justice, Rise of Arsenal, Ross' plans for the Phantom or even JMS' own take on the MLJ heroes. At least he's not pretending it's to be the definitive take on the character and status quo from now on.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 12  

Everyone wants to re-design now- came across this online:

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 02 July 2010 at 12:45pm

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version