Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

I agree with the guy who said this one would be better than her new look.

http://fanartexhibit.wordpress.com/characters/

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

I like it.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

Darwyn Cook had some nice WW designs in New Frontier -

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Not that her bathing suit wasn’t modern but aren’t most superhero movies PG13"

When did Wonder Woman become a swimmer?

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

Anyway, this is what Wonder Woman wears to go swimming:

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

Not a big fan of Wonder Woman in armor (although it's lot better than the Jim Lee designed monstrosity.)  There's nothing wrong with her dressing like a superhero -- her costume doesn't need to be literalized as an Amazon warrior's garb, any more than Superman needs to be dressing in Kryptonian duds.

Edited by Thom Price on 01 July 2010 at 7:45pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Benjamin Ledbetter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 7  

There is nothing wrong with bringing these characters into the modern age.  But there is a right way and a wrong way, and from what I have seen this is indeed the wrong way.

As mentioned in this thread, Harry Potter is the perfect example.  They translated those books into films, and while they have made changes in story for time and plot constraints, the characters and settings are very on model.  Rowling is very involved and would not be quiet if they messed up her world.  And her fans would hate any director that tried to get Harry Potter "right" in a way that wasn't Potter.

Look at the Byrne/Claremont X-Men, or Perez/Wolfman Teen Titans.  Both modern takes on classic characters, both very creative runs that are well regarded today and were successful in their time (although as JB has said many times on this forum, the X-Men did not skyrocket for a few years after him, but in my opinion, the foundation and style of storytelling for the book was set there).  There is a way to bring these characters forward without losing what they are supposed to be.

And as a fan who is 32 in age, I am not wanting these characters to look, sound and act like they did when they were created.  But they should be updated versions of who they are, not unrecognizable and someone's idea of cool taking everything about them and removing it.  This isn't just a costume here, it's the whole idea.  If you do not want to write SUPERMAN or WONDER WOMAN, than someone else should get the job.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

If they wanted to "tweak" or slightly update WW's costume by having her wear pants, they should have just turned her shorts into pants without loosing the stars and keep everything else from her iconic costume.

Benjamin Ledbetter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

And you can do it without a major reboot.  Look at JB's FF run.  Right there from the first issue.  Look at the New Look Batman.  It just happened, and houndreds of thousands of readers were fine with it.  And if they weren't, enough were there to replace them.  That sure isn't the case now is it.

This reminds me so much of what has happened to Soap Operas.  Once mighty in viewers, they are all limping to death, because people can get that type of thing in pretty much all shows now, even CSI has storylines and romances that carry over.  And instead of embracing what they are supposed to be, they keep being ashamed of what they are, and try to be like programming they can't compete with.  And they die.

If anyone had said a soap like General Hospital could be canceled, even as little as 5 to 10 years ago, fans of that show would claim it would be one of the last ones standing, and for a long time still.  I can't say I think it will last another 5 years.  I look at comics more and more the same way.  Ashamed of what they are, and willing to die trying to be what they are not.

Sophistication is what creators should be trying for, not edge, not modern, but sophisticated.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

"If they wanted to "tweak" or slightly update WW's costume by having her wear pants, they should have just turned her shorts into pants without loosing the stars and keep everything else from her iconic costume"

I agree. If they had just updated her costume a bit ala Neal Adams-designed Tim Drake's Robin costume, then I bet much less people would have an issue with it.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

Thom Price wrote:
Not a big fan of Wonder Woman in armor

Me either.  In Marston's conception the Amazons were pacifists, not warriors.  They only fought defensively, and I don't recall ever seeing them wearing armor in a Peter-drawn comic.  That's something that's always rubbed me the wrong way about the 7-foot-tall "warrior" Wonder Woman of recent years.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

I've always liked that the uniform she wears normally is a "light armor" used for adventures in the world of man, and the severely armored up (with spear, shield, helm and more) is for when she's going to war. 

I don't mind that she's depicted as a warrior - just stop messing with iconic stuff for no apparent reason other than a creative team making their mark.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version