Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Right on, Sonia Harris. (I also like that there's a pic of WW by Jaime Hernandez there)

And, once again, Jim Lee has never designed good costumes:

Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Based on that article, I can say that Sonia Harris has a better understanding of superheroes and their costumes than one of the world's most popular (though I can't see why) comics writers! Maybe DC ought to fire JMS and hire Ms. Harris.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

I just don't get why guys like Roger Stern aren't writing comics and JMS is. Did the time line diverge at some point and I then entered a parallel* world?

* I can never spell this word.  Sometimes I mangle it so bad the spell checker can't get it right.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hopefully, we can all look forward to a Brian Bolland Wonder Woman version of this cover (Action Comics Weekly #609 - the Goddamned image won't paste in, Goddamnit!  It's Black Canary, in her original costume - FISHNETS! - match in hand, BURNING THAT GODAWFUL SET O' RAGS she wore in the '80's Justice League reboot) damn soon!

Action Comics 609.jpg

Hey!  It DID work, after a couple' a' tries!

Edited by Michael Andrew Gonoude on 01 July 2010 at 4:37pm

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

Sales will determine how long this sticks.  If JMS manages to get at least eight issues a year on the stands, and if sales go up considerably, we could be stuck with this for at least a couple of years.  From JMS's notes at the back of Wonder Woman #600 are any indication, she's been rebooted due to some sort of space-time continuum thing, and that stuff can be undone in any number of ways in comics.

Looking at comic book characters over the course of the past 70 years, most of the "major, permanent changes" end up as just little continuity glitches in the big picture, which ultimately make you nostalgic for the original, and that much more grateful when things get reset.  Power-reduced Superman, Dead Superman, Electric-Blue Superman, Broke-back Batman, Dead Batman, Robin-as-Batman, Demoted Wonder Woman, Dead Wonder Woman, Mother-of-Wonder Woman, Mod Wonder Woman, Dead-and-Not-Dead Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman... 

The most enduring change I've seen at DC in the past decade is getting rid of the yellow oval on Batman's chest, and that *still* shows up on t-shirts and toys and cartoons.  If JMS and Wonder Woman 2.0 are still around in 2012, I'll be surprised.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

Andrew W. Farago (in part): "...Broke-back Batman..."

A light just went off in Ang Lee's head...

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 8  

There may be a Wonder Woman movie coming. This costume change has brought quite a lot of press attention and debate (it was in the UK's Guardian today). Coincidence? 

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't have a problem with comic book costume switch-ups, it seems like JMS is telling a finite story and appears that she will likely (hopefully) go back to her original costume when the timeline is corrected. Changing costumes for a few issues happens to every superhero, every decade or so. And the idea that Wonder Woman's timeline has been altered and her origin has been changed, with her attempting to realign it sounds like it might be a pretty fun superhero story. JMS' quotes make it sound like it may have a CAMELOT 3000 bent.

What I do have a problem with is the costume itself. It's godawful. Here's hoping that after a year (or less), it's back in her closet with the other cut-off jacket she wore the last time DC changed her costume.

Edited by David Kingsley Kingsley on 01 July 2010 at 5:57pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

JMS: 'How does she fight in that thing without all her parts flying out? How does she carry her stuff?"Legitimate questions. Yes most of us know comics are not supposed to be realistic. But it’s a newer generation and they want to know ‘how?’ When the last Batman movie came out there was a special on ‘how’ it was realistically possible to be Batman and use his gadgets. People now days want more realism and realistically Wonder Woman would pop out of that partial bathing suit she called a costume. There have been a lot of costume changes in recent years and it looks like they are getting away from the ‘underwear’ look, both male and female, and moving to pants. I like it.
Now you could say, “Well, if you don’t like it the way it is, then don’t read comics.” Then all comic book companies would go out of business because times and people are changing.
I’ll still read them either way; I’m just justifying the change.

When you start to ask those questions, then you should NOT be reading comics. This is part of the lore of comics. There is a suspension of disbelief.

Once again, some Hollywood wanna-be or a fanboy has come along and placed their contempt on the genre.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

One of the most iconic costumes in comics, hands down.  What an absolutely brilliant marketing move to change it.  "Hey, we're already not selling many comics.  We should probably go ahead and take that recognizable brand image off the cover.  That might help." 

Dumb asses letting dumb asses write comics.  Yawn.   

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

"I just don't get why guys like Roger Stern aren't writing comics and JMS is"

Actually, Roger Stern has had quite a few new stories come out this year from Marvel. Good stuff.

Edited by Joe Zhang on 01 July 2010 at 6:10pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version