Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

Or C, listening to his female friends who don't sound like they're at all familiar with the genre (not unlike himself), and upon whose opinions he should hardly be basing any decisions.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 1:57pm
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Marcej
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

" Maybe we just like change more. "

But this whole Wonder Woman redo screams as nothing more than change for change sake to me.

Beyond this whole costume change, if DC and JMS and Jim Lee wanted to work on a character who wears a jacket and has an origin where she leaves her home (Paradise Island) as a very young girl because the inhabitants were wiped out and is raised in America, well, why not just -
CREATE  a new character?

This happens all the time in comics or the movies. "Creative Talent" (quotes mine) acquire a known property, a long running character with an iconic look and radically change it, so that it no longer looks or has anything in common with the original source.

I'd use the current film version of "Jonah Hex" as an example. The producers acquire a lone, gritty, bounty hunter cowboy character and turn him into a western superhero with supernatural powers?

Why?
What's the point?
If they wanted to make a film about a superhero cowboy with supernatural powers, why not CREATE one?

The same thing with this "Wonder Woman" character.

The problem isn't change.

The problem isn't older men not wanting to accept change of a character.

The problem is not having enough creative people in the business that because they don't know how to write a specific character , ( and not having the guts to go out and self publish their desired character) they take an established one and shoehorn their ideas in on it.

And the usual result?

Long time fans hate and reject it because it resembles nothing like the caharcter and new fans grow bored and go on to the latest hot thing.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

Brian P. wrote:
You know the one person who will hate this reboot the most? Adam Hughes. He has been working on All Star Wonder Woman, writing, illustrating, and coloring for the last 4 years. Ya it hasn't come out yet. 
Now he will have to redraw the whole series and give her a breast reduction (major). That outfit doesn't fit his cheesecake style. Guess All Star Wonder Woman should be out in 2014, oh wait by then they will have changed back to the classic costume. Then Adam will have to redraw the series again, I mean All-Star Wonder Woman will be out in 2018.

That's funny, but I really have to think that this might be an issue.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 2:12pm

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 4  

Or C, listening to his female friends who don't sound like they're at all familiar with the genre...

But wait Paulo... it's virtually every woman he knows. Meaning it could be one woman, and she virtually exists!

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 5  

Wouldn't surprise me, Moyer.

Also, while he may have not made the remarks about "parts flying out" and "carrying stuff," he did say that she "needs to look as strong, capable and resourceful as she is."

So, in all her 69 years of comic books, live action and animation, she has never looked those things?

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 2:17pm

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

Just skimming through the comments at the Fox News article, and it seems a lot of them disapprove.

BTW, I have to correct what I said earlier about JMS not having any input on the design:

I had very particular things in mind: I wanted her to have tights and a jacket, dark colors, so she'd be more of a street fighter in appearance, while keeping some of the signature colors and lines.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 2:31pm

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

Whatever happened to "suspension of disbelief"?  Wonder Woman's costume stays up because it stays up!  There's no ifs ands or buts about it.  It's the "black is blue" argument all over again.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

"I wanted her to have tights and a jacket, dark colors, so she'd be more of a street fighter in appearance, while keeping some of the signature colors and lines."

Couldn't he have accomplished this by having Diana going 'undercover' for whatever reason for a couple of issues, skulking around a warehouse or whatever in a pair of jeans and a leather overcoat? Why stick the iconic uniform in the trash when effectively it is so much of what makes her Wonder Woman?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Street fighter"????? Uh, why? How does that equal Wonder Woman?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

I had very particular things in mind: I wanted her to have tights and a jacket, dark colors, so she'd be more of a street fighter in appearance, while keeping some of the signature colors and lines.

===============

*slaps own forehead*  Of course this does open up the possibility to fighting M. Bison!  =P

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 11  

Regarding the 1974 Cathy Lee Crosby costume... I thought of that after I wrote my post asserting that Hollywood would not want to deviate significantly from the real Wonder Woman costume.  Point taken.  History proves me wrong.  However, while Hollywood does not respect the original source material (the comics), I think they probably do respect the Linda Carter series to some degree.  The majority of civilians who know Wonder Woman know her from that series, and I don't think filmmakers would want to deviate substantially from the look people remember on the series.  I'm not saying a film costume will be 100% faithful, but I think changes will be along the lines of what we saw in Superman Returns... tweaks rather than radical changes.  I certainly could be wrong, though.  I do feel pretty confident that we'll never see this new Jim Lee costume in a film.  If Hollywood wants to radically redesign Wonder Woman's costume, they'll come up with something on their own, not follow the lead of the comics.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 01 July 2010 at 3:22pm

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/01/committe d-jim-lees-lack-of-wonder/

A very interesting and well written perspective by a female comic book fan.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version