Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

If we're too drag the argument into what "the NOW generation" wants and fashion. DC seems a bit late with muting her outfit since primary colours seem to be in vogue right now. Especially primary blue, red and white.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 01 July 2010 at 12:15pm
Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

MAG wrote:
To be fair, Paulo, I have read interviews with both Lynda Carter and her stuntwoman Jeannie Epper in which they admitted that there were a few instances where the amply-endowed bits did, indeed, "flop out".

Fair enough. I actually put "at least on camera" in parentheses in the post you quoted, but took it out, feeling it was self-evident that if any "wardrobe malfunctions" occurred on camera, they'd hardly be left in. The point is the TV show made it believable that a heroine could wear such a costume without such accidents occurring on a regular basis.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Kimberly wrote:
Paulo, Hence the “parentheses.” I know they are not “underwear.” I’m saying, when the leggings and whatever you want to call them are different colors, it doesn’t look as good as regular pants or all the same color whatever. And I said ‘more so for males.’ There’s nothing wrong with WW’s old costume. I just like the new one better.

Well then, whatever you want to call them, I'm not sure what your point was given the subject was WW, whose costume, by your own admission, was fine the way it was.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 4:03pm

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

Putting aside that nothing about super-heroes are realistic, and trying to ground them with mundane costumes does nothing to alter that, this new costume is no more practical than her old. 

How many female soldiers would want to wear this outfit onto the battlefield?  How many female cops would want that much cleavage out while they walk the beat?  (And we can exclude the obvious: cops undercover as hookers.)

This costume is no more practical or realistic than anything Wonder Woman has worn before; it's just a different degree of impractical and unrealistic. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

Also, it must be noted that Wonder Woman is not an average woman. She's an Amazon warrior.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 1:00pm

Kimberly Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's not about making her or her costume completely realistic. Superheroes are not realistic. It's about making it more realistic and modern. Not that her bathing suit wasn’t modern but aren’t most superhero movies PG13? They probably don’t want to worry about parents complaining. And they will cater to parents because hearing, “Mommy I want to see the Wonder Woman movie” a hundred times will drive them crazy… all the way to the theaters.

Kimberly Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 7  

Paulo:
Back that up with data? It’s in almost every podcast I hear now days. “I wanted to make the character more modern.” “I wanted to take the old and bring it into the new.” Not only are readers changing but writers/artists are too. They have TV shows about the realism of superheroes. Myth Busters for one has done a couple shows about it.
Lynda Carter? Before my time; I said “now days”

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

Kimberly wrote:
They have TV shows about the realism of superheroes. Myth Busters for one has done a couple shows about it.

You said it yourself: "superheroes are not realistic." Why this need to deconstruct them? To pick them apart?

QUOTE:
Lynda Carter? Before my time; I said “now days”

Time period is irrelevant. In any case, Carter, as WW, was wearing the classic costume on a TV show, the costume you seem to think will cause mothers to prevent their children from seeing a WW movie. The censors weren't any more lax then than they are now.

QUOTE:
“I wanted to make the character more modern.” “I wanted to take the old and bring it into the new.”

These sound like comments made by writers, not fans. Writers who have no idea what the word 'iconic' means.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 4:04pm

Kimberly Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm a fan and I want them to be more modern. Superheroes aren't realistic, but there's nothing wrong with making them "more" realistic. She can still be iconic with a new costume.

You know, maybe I have a female perspective on this. I just asked 3 of my female friends if they like her new costume and they said yes. Not because it mutes it but because it’s new. Maybe we just like change more. Thoughts on this?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

JMS has NO TALENT. He CAN'T write Wonder Woman. He is TOTALLY UNABLE to come up with stories for Wonder Woman. So, what does he do?

He changes the character into something else. 

THAT is what ALL "NOW DAYS" writers and artists do - they look at a character, decide it's too difficult to play with as is, and then they change it into something they ARE capable of working with. 

That's not talent. That's not ability. That's amateur. That's pedestrian. Neither of which should be able to describe PROFESSIONAL writers and artists working with some of the greatest fictional characters ever created. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

Kimberly wrote:
She can still be iconic with a new costume.

You see iconic, I see boring.

Oh well...

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

Remember when we were all watching JLU espisodes and every now and then one of WonderWoman's boobs would pop out during a particularly athletic moment? No? Me neither. I'm going to guess that's because if no one draws it then it won't happen. It's a cartoon. There are no physics testing the suitability of the designs.

Why is the danger of a possible wardrobe malfunction a problem for imaginary people/things being drawn in the act of doing stuff that real people can't do?

Were people really ashamed of or scandalized by Wonder Woman's costume?  Or is this just JMS playing 'Spider-Totem' ? 

Edited by Emery Calame on 01 July 2010 at 1:51pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version