Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Kimberly wrote:
“Underwear” on the outside is stupid (more so for the males).

This hoary cliche is essentially meaningless. First off, outside of what? Superheroes don't wear what you call "underwear" outside of regular pants or jeans, they wear them outside of skintight leggings, which your average civilian normally doesn't wear. And in regards to WW, her legs are bare, so she's not wearing her "underwear" outside of anything.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 11:27am
Back to Top profile | search

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 2  

We know it’s not possible to be Batman, Superman, Brainiac 5, etc, butwhen people can relate more to a character they are more likely to buythe books and merchandise.

Yeah as opposed to the years from 1939 to 1989 when no kids bought comics because they couldn't relate to the characters. Are you for real?

Kids quit buying comics because they were turned into fanboys wet dreams as opposed to being about superheroes. No costume change can fix that. Especially not one as awful as this.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 3  

If I was going out in public in skin tight material that reveals every contour, wearing shorts over my tights would make perfect sense to me.  

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 4  

The movie costume, like many Elseworlds, future and so on redesigns of the classic WW costume, will probably feature armour. It makes sense for the character, and it stops her parts flying out. She'll look like a superheroine, because even the movie people aren't as stupid as this.

IMP.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Like I said I would read them either way but I understand why the change. If they want more customers, they have to appeal to a newer generation. I like both costumes but if I had to pick one, I’d go with the pants. They are more modern. I like to see characters change, develop, grow…
Why make new characters when there are thousands to tinker with already? Plus if you make new characters they wouldn’t relate to the older characters.
Take anything in history, cars, computers, language, anything; everything changes. There’s nothing wrong with trying something new.

---

The point is this is nothing new. There were attempts to make Wonder Woman more "practical" back in the 70s and more "modern" in the 90s, and all that was accomplished was taking Wonder Woman on some forgettable divergences. An iconic character doesn't need to be made more appealing to a younger generation; a character becomes iconic because it has universal appeal. The important thing is finding the core of that universal appeal.

Kimberly Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 6  

Paulo, Hence the “parentheses.” I know they are not “underwear.” I’m saying, when the leggings and whatever you want to call them are different colors, it doesn’t look as good as regular pants or all the same color whatever. And I said ‘more so for males.’ There’s nothing wrong with WW’s old costume. I just like the new one better.
I said ‘older men’ because the people “I SEE” complaining on Face Book are comic artist men over 45 that don’t want their “beloved” character to change. Which is understandable, but, things always change. How many times has she changed in 60 years?
1939-1989? I bought comics in the 1980’s when I was a kid, so did my husband. And I’m not talking just kids. People in general will buy it if they can relate to it.
Also I don’t understand the “troll” reference? 3

A Wonder Woman movie with the old costume would harder to make. There'll be more 'fighty' action with the newer costume.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 7  

“Underwear” on the outside is stupid (more so for the males).

----

Speaking as a guy, if I were wearing skintight leggings, I would want a little more padding in the groin and butt area. For both protection and modesty.

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 8  

You know the one person who will hate this reboot the most? Adam Hughes. He has been working on All Star Wonder Woman, writing, illustrating, and coloring for the last 4 years. Ya it hasn't come out yet. 
Now he will have to redraw the whole series and give her a breast reduction (major). That outfit doesn't fit his cheesecake style. Guess All Star Wonder Woman should be out in 2014, oh wait by then they will have changed back to the classic costume. Then Adam will have to redraw the series again, I mean All-Star Wonder Woman will be out in 2018.

Edited by Brian Peck on 01 July 2010 at 11:58am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kimberly Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 9  

"There were attempts to make Wonder Woman more "practical" back in the 70s and more "modern" in the 90s, and all that was accomplished was taking Wonder Woman on some forgettable divergences."

This happens all the time. And yet, she bounced back. The change probably won’t last. If you’re a true fan, you won’t stop reading it because of a costume change but it will pull in new readers. The character itself is the ‘core.’ Changing her costume isn’t going to deter anyone except those “wet dream, fanboys” William was talking about.
And Moyer, I LOVED Huntress’s costume when it changed. I like that it is sexier. I like the cheesecake style. For me, It isn’t about covering up WW or making her less sexy. I just like the pants. They really could lose the jacket though.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

Paulo Pereira: " QUOTE:
People now days want more realism and realistically Wonder Woman would pop out of that partial bathing suit she called a costume.

Funny, that never happened to Lynda Carter, who's composed of flesh and blood. It's much less likely to happen to a character constructed out of ink and paper."
To be fair, Paulo, I have read interviews with both Lynda Carter and her stuntwoman Jeannie Epper in which they admitted that there were a few instances where the amply-endowed golden bozos did, indeed, "flop out".
That said, I am in no way in favor of the new costume.  >BARF!<
I did warn you all, in a thread in the movie forum, that the classic costume might be impeding progress on the long-delayed WW movie; now look what's happened...
If this is what Jim Lee's hands are capable of, thank God he didn't become a surgeon...

Edited by Michael Andrew Gonoude on 01 July 2010 at 4:16pm

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

You want Wonder Woman dressed for battle?  Well, then use this instead.  The thing about George Perez was that you knew he loved  and respected the character, and that he wanted to write Wonder Woman the right way, not change the essence of the charater to fit an idea he had -

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

To be fair to JMS, he did NOT say he thought WW would be "popping out", that was the response he got from women he knew.  Here's the full answer from the interview:

"Also, virtually every woman I know tends to look at her current costume and say, "How does she fight in that thing without all her parts and pieces flying out?" She needs to look as strong, capable and resourceful as she is. As another female friend put it, "What woman wears the same outfit for sixty years without accessorizing?""

I don't mind the new costume, but the only time I've read Wonder Woman was during JB's run, so I don't have a lot of emotional investment in the character.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version