Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 1  

Kimberly wrote:
Legitimate questions.

No, they aren't. If JMS thinks so, why doesn't he create his own character instead of meddling with existing ones? (And if you think so, why are you interested in the character? I'm asking.) Why does the character hold any appeal for him (or you) if he's going to ask such questions. Or is he taking on the character as a mercenary? In which case, is that someone you'd want handling a classic character?

QUOTE:
Yes most of us know comics are not supposed to be realistic. But it’s a newer generation and they want to know ‘how?’

Really? Care to back that up with data?

QUOTE:
People now days want more realism and realistically Wonder Woman would pop out of that partial bathing suit she called a costume.

Funny, that never happened to Lynda Carter, who's composed of flesh and blood. It's much less likely to happen to a character constructed out of ink and paper.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 9:52am
Back to Top profile | search

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 2  

"People now days want more realism and realistically Wonder Woman would pop out of that partial bathing suit she called a costume."

OOooooohkay.... so that explains the Huntress going from this costume:

To this (another Jim Lee abomination). 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 3  

Straps and flanges and big soled boots = "realism" for a lot of people.

Unfortunately.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 4  

People now days want more realism and realistically Wonder Woman would pop out of that partial bathing suit she called a costume.

The "popping out" is obviously a smarmy reference from JMS to Wonder Woman's breasts, and if that was the issue with her old costume then why does her new outfit show just as much cleavage?

Looks to me like the pop-out concern is just as "valid" as ever.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 5  

JMS: 'How does she fight in that thing without all her parts flying out? How does she carry her stuff?"

Legitimate questions.

••

Not really.

It is absolutely necessary to understand the LANGUAGE of a particular form. By this, obviously, I don't mean the words in the captions and balloons, or the jargon, or even the literal language, if a foreign publication. I mean those things that add up to make the thing a whole -- to make it what it is.

STAR TREK began with a very simple language. The Enterprise was a big muscle car. It flew faster than light because it had lots and lots of POWER. Mr. Spock could have a human mother and a Vulcan father because that was what Gene Roddenberry wanted. Most of the aliens scattered across the galaxy were indistinguishable from Earth humans because they came from the same casting pool. There was never any need to EXPLAIN these things, or to make the show "realistic". All those elements were the LANGUAGE which was used to tell the stories, and the stories were what mattered.

Then newer "generations" came along, and they wanted to explain everything, and make everything "realistic" -- so that's not the stars moving as the Enterprise slides along thru space, it's "space particles" or somesuch nonsense. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle tells us there's no way the transporter could work as shown, so we have "Heisenberg compensators". Those big nacelles on the back are not just gigantic rockets, they are "warp field generators". Etc, etc.

Comics have suffered a similar fate. Explain everything. Question everything.

And drive away the readers.

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 6  

I smell the wafting oduor of Troll...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 7  

I wonder if it irks JMS at all that the article refers to him as a former writer for Murder She Wrote and not Changeling?

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't think Kimberly is a troll, but a young'n trying to show us "older men" why we're wrong in our attitudes toward wanting our icons to resemble what we grew up with.

You know...old men... any of us over 30

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 9  

Costume design is not a strong suit (no pun intended) of Jim Lee.

Kimberly Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 10  

Moyer: “So, to keep up with you, (ie the younger generation) a beloved character of 60+ years should change to keep up with you?”

Yes. If you want to continue to sell them.

Like I said I would read them either way but I understand why the change. If they want more customers, they have to appeal to a newer generation. I like both costumes but if I had to pick one, I’d go with the pants. They are more modern. I like to see characters change, develop, grow…
Why make new characters when there are thousands to tinker with already? Plus if you make new characters they wouldn’t relate to the older characters.
Take anything in history, cars, computers, language, anything; everything changes. There’s nothing wrong with trying something new.
And… When that Batman special came out (about is it realistic). I heard someone say “It’s possible to be Batman? Cool!” It was a kid… We know it’s not possible to be Batman, Superman, Brainiac 5, etc, but when people can relate more to a character they are more likely to buy the books and merchandise.
You don’t have to explain everything. Superman can fly because he’s an alien. That’s it… I’m just taking about a costume change… “Underwear” on the outside is stupid (more so for the males). There was nothing wrong with Wonder Woman’s bathing suit, I just like the new one better.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 11  

As if high heels and thight shorts are ever going to lose their appeal, please.

QUOTE:
The "popping out" is obviously a smarmy reference from JMS to Wonder Woman's breasts, and if that was the issue with her old costume then why does her new outfit show just as much cleavage?

Exactly, it's gonna be drawn just as exploitive as her previous ones. Even if it went all the way up to her neck, the artists'd still find a way to throw some cleavage in it.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 01 July 2010 at 11:12am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 12  

If we are talking `practical` what`s practical about spurs,unless she is riding a horse full time?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version