Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 1  

How well did the '74 TV movie rate? How well is it remembered in comparison to the series that followed?
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 2  

Can someone in Hollywood please give JMS a job? Even if it's just pushing a mop, he might feel less compelled to write awful comics.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 3  

JMS: 'How does she fight in that thing without all her parts flying out? How does she carry her stuff?"

What "stuff?" The lasso? "Parts flying out?" Seriously, WTH? Is this a joke?

••

Not a joke. A classic example of an ennui engorged Hollywood writer curling his lip at the foolishness of superhero comics.

The only thing sadder, is how much of our tiny remaining audience will race to embrace this stuff.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 4  

How well did the '74 TV movie rate? How well is it remembered in comparison to the series that followed?

••

Not the point. That the '74 version exists at all -- along with the leather clad X-Men, the rubber-clad Batman, the leather-clad Daredevil, Spider-Man's organic webbing, the Adam West BATMAN, etc, etc, etc -- shows all too clearly that respect for the source material in Hollywood is about 437th on the List of Things to Do.

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 5  

Hey I know! Harry Potter and all those kids would not in real life wear those ghastly robes! It's just not realistic! And those flying broomsticks? SO UNCOMFORTABLE TO FLY ON!!! Lets give him a flying motor-scooter, because those are more comfortable.

Yeah, lets do that and see how many Harry Potter fans have conniption fits.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 6  

JB wrote:
Not the point. That the '74 version exists at all -- along with the leather clad X-Men, the rubber-clad Batman, the leather-clad Daredevil, Spider-Man's organic webbing, the Adam West BATMAN, etc, etc, etc -- shows all too clearly that respect for the source material in Hollywood is about 437th on the List of Things to Do.

I certainly don't dispute that, but the point was in regards to what the audience would accept. In particular, regarding WW and her costume, the most significant thing '74 movie did was to inspire the '75 series, which featured the familiar costume (as well as an actress who actually resembled the character). The latter was more successful than the former, which could very well be indicative of what the civilian audience was/is willing to accept, at least in regards to that particular character.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 01 July 2010 at 12:43pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 7  

"When many creators think tearing down is the way to create interest, George is a builder." - Gail Simone on artist George Perez.

Sounds like Ms. Simone may feel the same as many of us. Will this new costume and "direction" have a good effect on SALES??? (long term!) Time will tell but i for one am not excited at all; not the way i was when George Perez took on the character or when JB had his turn on the title.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kimberly Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 8  

JMS: 'How does she fight in that thing without all her parts flying out? How does she carry her stuff?"

Legitimate questions. Yes most of us know comics are not supposed to be realistic. But it’s a newer generation and they want to know ‘how?’ When the last Batman movie came out there was a special on ‘how’ it was realistically possible to be Batman and use his gadgets. People now days want more realism and realistically Wonder Woman would pop out of that partial bathing suit she called a costume. There have been a lot of costume changes in recent years and it looks like they are getting away from the ‘underwear’ look, both male and female, and moving to pants. I like it.
Now you could say, “Well, if you don’t like it the way it is, then don’t read comics.” Then all comic book companies would go out of business because times and people are changing.
I’ll still read them either way; I’m just justifying the change.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 9  

It's funny that JMS or JIm Lee are concerned about the practicallity of the costume of a character that is usually lines on a paper or a screen. Hey dummies,the only way her "parts" are going to fly out, are if you draw them flying out!!!  I'm not sure if "practical" is a word that should allowed anywhere near a character who is a statue brought to life by the magic of  the Greek Gods.  Even for "street level" superheroes, supervised visits is perferable. ;)

Edited by Mike Norris on 01 July 2010 at 9:26am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 10  

Guess Wonder Woman shouldn't fly or have an invisible jet. Or the magic
lasso - those are NOT realistic things.

Comic books were ALWAYS about escapism/fantasy- shame that the industry does not cater to that much anymore.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 11  

Sheesh, thank you so much for your wisdom Kimberly. 

Not legitimate questions at all. They are comic book characters. The minute you start asking "why" at all means you don't accept the trappings and everything else that goes with it. She's made of clay. She has powers from the greek gods. The women I know (and I know quite a few) are just as appalled as I am that they would make such a drastic change. They wear capes, their costumes are skin tight and not realistic in the slightest. If you want realism, watch CSI. Go outside.

Don't expect an icon of 60+ years to change with you just because you can't accept what goes along with the superhero genre. Her breast don't flop out of the costume because they JUST DON'T. Batman's cape doesn't get snagged on buildings because IT JUST DOESN'T. They are fantasy characters and we shouldn't have to read about our favorite fantasy characters "being realistic" or having "realistic costumes." Where the hell is the fun in that???

Your statements are pretty broad. What defines "older men" to you? 

So, to keep up with you, (ie the younger generation) a beloved character of 60+ years should change to keep up with you?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 12  

Legitimate questions. Yes most of us know comics are not supposed to be realistic. But it’s a newer generation and they want to know ‘how?’ When the last Batman movie came out there was a special on ‘how’ it was realistically possible to be Batman and use his gadgets.

QUOTE:
I’m finding that most of the people saying they don’t like the new WW costume are older men who want things to stay the way they were when they were in their prime.

Wonder Woman is an iconic character. Changing her look shifts her away from her iconic status.

QUOTE:
Comics have to change to keep up with newer generations. Things change and every now and then you have to try something new. Keep up with the times or you get left behind.

The same arguments were used in the 90s. And the attempts to be "relevant" sucked then too.

QUOTE:
Legitimate questions. Yes most of us know comics are not supposed to be realistic. But it’s a newer generation and they want to know ‘how?’ When the last Batman movie came out there was a special on ‘how’ it was realistically possible to be Batman and use his gadgets. People now days want more realism and realistically Wonder Woman would pop out of that partial bathing suit she called a costume. There have been a lot of costume changes in recent years and it looks like they are getting away from the ‘underwear’ look, both male and female, and moving to pants. I like it.

If anyone thinks that Batman could "realistically" fight in the movie costumes, they are idiots. In BATMAN BEGINS (as pointed out in THE DARK KNIGHT), Batman could barely turn his head. The superhero genre requires suspension of disbelief.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version