Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 1  

Joss Whedon wanted to get rid of the stars on WW's pants, and I was kinda glad when he left the project. Changes like that means you don't get the character at all.
Petter, you think they will change Superman's costume again? I don't know, I hope they will stick with the original design more than Singer did.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 2  

Mr. Lee has drawn his share of sexy superheroines (the X-Men’s Rogueamong them), some in skimpy costume, and knows what many fans will ask:“Why am I covering up her legs?” Ultimately, he wanted her to lookstrong “without screaming, ‘I’m a superhero.’ ”
----
But she is a superhero.
Wow, nothing was learned by being apart of Heroes Reborn.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 3  

I can't imagine they would make a film without using a design based on Wonder Woman's real costume. Civilians know what Wonder Woman looks like, and they don't know or care about silly redesigns and reboots.

••

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 4:32am | IP Logged | 4  

"Film producers aren't going to want to tamper with that recognition factor."

While certainly recognizable, the most recent Superman movie design and every Batman we've ever seen on a movie screen were fairly radical redesigns so I wouldn't doubt anything.  (cue about a dozen people to jump in and insist the most recent Superman costume was completely faithful and appropriate).

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 5  

This foxnews 'article' on the costume change: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/06/30/wonder-woman -trading-star-spangled-hot-pants-leggings/

illustrates everything anyone on here has ever said about when it is time to move on.  JMS cites at least 5 or 6 examples of why he should not write this comic book (besides the obvious reason of not being good at it).  Plus you get to hear more talk of 'Star Spangled Hot Pants'.   

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 6  

I need to go back and read this whole thread, but...

how did Wonder Woman get up to issue #600? Wasn't it at #100 when JB did it about 10 years ago?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 7  

It's all the issues of all the various volumes added together.

DC held a contest a few months back: if they got 600 postcards in support, they would switch over to the combined numbering.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 8  

"...if they got 600 postcards in support, they would switch over to the combined numbering."

That's amazing that DC was able to get every single one of their readers to send in a postcard! 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 9  

I don't mind the combined numbering. I just hope this means there'll be no
more new #1s!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Moyer Hall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 10  

So... I'm glad it's pretty unanimous that this just doesn't look like the right way to go with Wonder Woman. A lot of writers and maybe editors seems to have such problems coming to grips with writing a good Wonder Woman story, but it seems like there is such a mental road block when different writers get the assignment. It seems every new writer that comes on to the book has sweeping changes... new city! new supporting cast! new villains!

But, none of it sticks. None of it gels. How many times have they moved Superman out of Metropolis? Batman out of Gotham? Their supporting casts may grow and shrink, but the core cast remains the same. Why is it so hard to keep the same thing going with Wonder Woman?

It seems a lot of writers come in with the mindset that they immediately need to mire Wonder Woman in some mutli part story that is entrenched deep in her mythology, but along the way forget to just write a good superhero story. Why is it so hard to write a good action packed story with Wonder Woman doing what superheros do? Beat bad guys! Fight big time villains! Lift and throw heavy things! Maybe a little romance on the side? Have a little drama with their secret identities! Is it so hard to apply the same things that has made Superman and Batman and so many other of our favorite superheros work, to her?

I guess that is probably why JB's run remains on top of my favorite stories for her. He wrote her as a superhero with a powerset on par with Superman. The stories were action packed, had great subplot drama, great nods to her mythology, but wasn't mired in it. 

What other runs stick as out as your favorites? 

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 11  

JMS: 'How does she fight in that thing without all her parts flying out? How does she carry her stuff?"

What "stuff?" The lasso? "Parts flying out?" Seriously, WTH? Is this a joke?

Kimberly Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 12  

I don’t know why so many people dislike Wonder Woman’s new costume. I love it. It could lose the jacket but overall I think it’s pretty nice. I'm liking all the newer costumes; Pym’s Wasp costume, Steve Roger’s new costume, the new Ant-Man costume with the Secret Avengers... I’m finding that most of the people saying they don’t like the new WW costume are older men who want things to stay the way they were when they were in their prime. Comics have to change to keep up with newer generations. Things change and every now and then you have to try something new. Keep up with the times or you get left behind. Her new costume probably won’t last long anyway.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version