Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

Jim Lee did design a horrible outfit for Wonder Woman. Watching that drawing got reminded of the biker outfit of the 90's run of Deodato Jr.

Shame...i'm gonna miss WW...so that's a sample of what's coming with the new regimen at DC....
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm clearly in the minority here.  I like the outfit - although I'm not quite sure about the "glovelets."  (Gauntlets and gloves.)
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

Late to the party, but wanted to share this thought. As bad as that costume is, perhaps this is worse:

In the reimagining of her story, Wonder Woman, instead of growing up on Paradise Island with her mother, Queen Hippolyta, and her Amazon sisters, is smuggled out as a baby when unknown forces destroy her home and slaughter its inhabitants.

In one swoop the creative minds at DC have striped Wonder Woman of her costume, her rich history, and her very uniqueness in the pantheon of heroes. But all is not lost, because they've reinstituted the classic issue numbering.

Complete and utter madness.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

Matthew McCallum wrote:
But all is not lost, because they've reinstituted the classic issue numbering.

And here again, DC plays little brother to Marvel by following in their ill-conceived footsteps.  The "original numbering" panders to the long-time fan.  Who really cares?  If it's good, people will buy it whether it carries 142 or 567 on the cover.  It's almost as bad as when Marvel carried both the reboot and original numbers on their covers.  Absurd!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

You can definitely redesign the character without losing the essential "Wonder Woman-ness."  I've played around with the design before, and have found that just adding long blue pants with stars running down the sides, and making the top into more of a tank-top than a strapless thing is enough to make her costume look more "practical" and functional.

As far as the jacket goes, that was the useless superhero accessory that Marvel and DC slapped on all of their characters back in the mid-1990s, so I'm surprised to see it coming back.  When you had characters like the Black Knight wearing full body armor and deciding to toss a leather jacket on top of chain mail (Captain America may have  done the same), you really have to wonder how much the artists are thinking these things through.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve Adelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's almost as bad as when Marvel carried both the reboot and original numbers on their covers.

That wasn't all bad... it allowed me to "complete" my FF run once and for all!  :)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Referring to the Wonder Woman redesign...

My father uttered the proverb: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  History repeating itself, again.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

I caught most of the SOUTH PARK episode "The Coon" yesterday. Thought it was a pretty funny lampooning of THE DARK KNIGHT. Also, when one character says that Mysterion has a cool costume, the Coon (aka Cartman) shouts something like "No he doesn't have a cool costume! He's just wearing his goddamn underwear over his goddamn pants!" I hate that particular superhero-bashing trope and it was nice to see it addressed in the show and not just presented as a means to make fun of superheroes.

Edited by Paulo Pereira on 30 June 2010 at 2:09pm

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

I pre-ordered both Superman 700 & Wonder Woman 600 & 601 just to see how their storylines would be set up.

Superman is going to walk across America....um, yeah, right. No #701 for me.

Wonder Woman gets a new costume from the '90s, and has her own "Brand New Day" alternate timeline story arc.

The only good thing is Don Kramer as the artist. Unfortunately, not even he could make me pick up this train wreck. Too bad #601 is a pre-order, but there won't be a #602 for me.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

Just looked over the NYT article and caught this bit:

"Why am I covering up her legs?” Ultimately, he wanted her to look strong “without screaming, ‘I’m a superhero.’ ”

There are no words.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

One thought after my initial shock passed was of this old sketch JB did for a revamped Batwoman character. Wonder Woman's "new" costume is the un-stylish cousin of a unused costume from the 1980's.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 2:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

Kind of reminds me of Wonder Girl too.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version