Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 1  

How does the Invisible Woman see when she's invisible?

Where does the Hulk's extra mass come from?

How does Ben Grimm have the manual dexterity to fly a plane when he's the Thing?

How did Tony Stark hide his Iron Man chestplate under his clothes?

Why can't people figure out how much alike Clark Kent and Superman look?

As JB has said here before - if these questions become that important to you that they ruin the stories for you maybe it's time to move on to something else.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 30 June 2010 at 9:48am
Back to Top profile | search | www

William Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 2  

My main gripe is they already did this sort of costume back in the 90's when Artemis took over as Wonder Woman.  Just with bicycle shorts instead of pants.  I just don't get how this is an improvement. 

Well, at least I know I can always reread the Perez stuff.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 3  

"As JB has said here before - if these questions become that important to you that they ruin the stories for you maybe it's time to move on to something else."

Like perhaps and Editor-in-Chief position at Marvel or DC.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 4  

I've looked into my crystal ball and have seen that once JMS's run peters out and Wonder Woman comics a) don't sell any more than before and b) that the movie is still a no-go because stupid Hollywood suits don't think that a girl superhero will work because look at Catwoman, there will be a big hoo-haw about classic Wonder Woman returning!

The story featuring this costume?  It's an alternate timeline.  It's temporary.

So, yeah, you're correct in that the original costume will probably be returning.  Maybe with some tweaks, maybe not.

Back to Top profile | search

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 5  

For the record I was just kidding with the heels comment.  Going along with JMS' need for Wonder Woman to have pockets (as per the Newsarama article).

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 6  

My son posted this on facebook, thought it was funny and fit here, I am sure for those that go on more sites you have seen it, I don't get out much, so this was new to me. :0)

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 7  

Superheroines fighting in heels is insultingly stupid. Capes aren't nearly as inherently sexist.

Would a woman go jogging in heels?

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 8  

Damn shame.  Why not simply let him write the Wonder Woman Earth-1 OGN if you need to let him tell this story, DC?!?.  Oh that's right, you are going to use that format to finally release Adam Hughes' All-Star Wonder Woman story (my guess).  I'll just wait for that then.  Someone else can read this.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 9  

P.S. My nine year old daughter thinks the new costume is stupid, too.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Why not simply let him write the Wonder Woman Earth-1 OGN if you need to let him tell this story, DC?!?.

Beautiful point Ted!

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 11  

Re: picture with questions Jodi posted above:  I've been surprised by how many people think all superheroes can fly or at least any of them with capes.  Batman is number one on this list.  I bet if you polled 300 million Americans, over 50% would agree that yes, Batman can fly.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 June 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 12  

Brian Joseph Mayer wrote:
Sorry, your argument isn't convincing. The first question to consider is that of intent. For instance, do you think the journalist intended to mock, demean, or hold the subject in contempt when asking about Wonder Woman's underwear?  You are correct, it is their job to research a subject before writing about it. But, isn't that what the journalist was doing? Emailing JB was still part of the "before writing" stage, wasn't it?  

It is only contempt if they know the correct terminology and then refuse to use it. Otherwisewe are the ones choosing to feel contempt when there really isn't any there.

Wrong.  The journalist in question already decided that "underwear" was the terminology he was going to use irrespective of whether or not it was correct.  He didn't ask JB what her costume was called because he already decided that she wore "underwear".  It was not an attempt by the journalist in question to do research on the terminology of superheroes, only John's reasons for modifying Wonder Woman's "star-spangled underwear".  Seriously.  The only intent that I can gather from that quote is mocking unless the journalist actually thinks that Wonder Woman has been running around in her underwear for years.  What idiot doesn't call what a superhero wears a costume?  Does it really take a great deal of exhaustive research to discover that little hidden gem of terminology? 

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version