Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 11
Topic: Rooftop Rumble Redux - 06.19.10 (finished image on Pg 2) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

yes, I'm that Larry Varvel.  Peter David immortalized me as the pastor of the Methodist Church in Leesburg, but I'm actually a Methodist pastor in Broken Arrow, OK.  John Byrne was my absolute favorite artist in high school and college and is still one of my absolute favorites of all time.  T
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James F Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB - When you worked at Marvel, did they ever take advantage of your talent in inking?  This piece is a work of true art.  Awesome inking and I love how you made Sandman's shirt and the others clothes have that wrinkle feel to it.
Back to Top profile | search

Rich Cirillo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There's A Lot to Love about this piece!!! Great concept idea! Bats and Spidey always had the most interesting villains (along with IMO Dick Tracy's Rogue Gallery!). First thing I noticed about this was it looked like they were fighting on Spidey's turf, as JB usually draws Gotham differently. I guess the flip- rematch of Spidey vs Bat's Villains would play out in Gotham!

Just wondering JB if you have ever considered any cross over confrontations that you haven't had the opportunity to draw up until this point. I'm sure the possibilities are endless, but is there one that has crossed your mind for some time?

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I second the notion that Marvel (and DC ) didn't take advantage of just how good an inker JB is. It seems like an old knock against JB, that he didn't ink exactly like Terry Austin, has stuck and people don't realize just how good JB is.

Every time I've seen JB ink someone else it always looked fantastic to me. He did an incredible job over Sal Buscema, and JB can be faithful to the pencils but still inject a bit of his style into the inks.

There's some artists that to me still have never really had the right inker work with them and one example to really sticks out to me is Ron Garney.
I would have killed to see JB ink Ron's pencils just once during their Hulk run!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2010 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Every time I've seen JB ink someone else it always looked fantastic to me. He did an incredible job over Sal Buscema…

••

I don't recall inking Sal. Am I having a visit from Senor Moment?

Christos Seros
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2010 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Here's the Hulk Annual cover with inks over Sal Buscema

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2010 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Is this the comic where the big guy becomes a super obese monster?
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2010 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ah, yes. I had forgotten that one.

And, yes, to Wallace's question. There was a sneaky reason behind that story. Some people used to ask why Jennifer Walter's boobs got bigger when she became She-Hulk, so I did that story by way of saying "The gamma rays work with whatever they have to work with." So, Bruce Banner was nothing but bone and scrawny muscle, and that's what the gamma rays worked on. And the big fat guy in my story -- well, he gave them a lot more than that!!

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2010 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm a big fan of the ripped (ideally purple) pants for the Hulk. I never cared for the speedos period. Also, it never seemed "in character" for Bruce Banner, once he gained control of the Hulk's body, to start wearing *less* clothes. Heck, he had less on than the She-Hulk!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2010 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Elastic trunks make a kind of sense, tho. If I had Banner's problem, I'd certain wear something under my streets that wasn't going to shred when I increased in size by a factor of 10 or more!!

James F Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2010 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Christos - thanks for sharing that with us.  JB did a great inking on this cover.  I collect a lot a original comic art and I got to say that JB's inks are awesome.  On every commission I have looked at that have backgrounds and multi characters, the inking is detailed and looks like JB takes pride in doing so.  I need to save up some $$$ for one.

Stéphane LIENAFA
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

one of the best i've ever seen

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 11
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version