Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Rooftop Rumble Redux - 06.19.10 (finished image on Pg 2) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB, I know you must get this a million times, but I miss seeing your work at Marvel & DC. But I love you playing with the characters in your commisions.

It seems like you're one of the few who "get it" right.

Back to Top profile | search

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Great commission though kinda makes me wish Spider-man was fighting his own foes.  Loving the Spider-man villains lately, been waiting for a JB Rhino. Is he from a certain era? Wasn't expecting that kind of texture on his outfit.

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

( ^ _ ^ )

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

" I never thought of the Vulture as a main Spidey's villain..."

I highly recommend going back and reading Vulture's first two appearances from ASM #2 & 7.  He was definitely intended to be a serious threat and Lee/Ditko made him a very dangerous foe. 

"
Great commission though kinda makes me wish Spider-man was fighting his own foes."

There are already a couple really nice Spider-Man vs Sinister Six pieces for your viewing pleasure in the galleries!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2010 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This piece has helped cement a Spider-Man/Batman team-up idea for a commission in my brain.  I think my commissions are planned for the next couple years already!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Every time JB does a commisssion, I say, "This is my new favorite!", then he does another one, and I say, "I have a NEW favorite!".  You gotta admire an artist who just keeps on topping himself time and again.  Fantastic!  I especially like the textures on Sandman and the Rhino.  Another triumph from JB!

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

John doesn't talk much about the story development process when he sets about creating these "big-story" commissions and that's a shame. Every picture tells a story, after all.

Perhaps John's process is so rapid (near instantaneous?) and natural that it would become a case of Holmes wearily describing to Watson the steps by which his conlusions were arrived at.

I understand that some artists are happy to just go for the "cool" visual, but I feel John is so grounded in logic and common sense that there is a backstory to every aspect of the commission. Take the Goblin grabbing the cape; it's in keeping with his personality and not a thing a Bat-foe would usually do. Is that how that particular visual came to be?

Or the Vulture apparently waiting for the others to finish with The Batman so that he can swoop down upon the carrion.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Perhaps John's process is so rapid (near instantaneous?) and natural that it would become a case of Holmes wearily describing to Watson the steps by which his conlusions were arrived at.

••

That's pretty much it. 99% of the time, when I read the description Jim Warden sends me, an instant "snapshot" appears in my head. In fact, one of the reasons I will occasionally decline a commission request is that the snapshot DOESN'T take immediate shape. I have learned the hard way that my "process" really does not allow much room for working and reworking a concept. Sometimes I will nudge the snapshot one way or another, when I discover it doesn't really work on a flat piece of paper (even after all these years I occasionally trip myself up by thinking, without realizing it, in 3D), and as I noted upthread there will be some manipulation in terms of placing which figures where in these crowd scenes -- but even there, I am still working from that instinctual shapshot.

++

Take the Goblin grabbing the cape; it's in keeping with his personality and not a thing a Bat-foe would usually do. Is that how that particular visual came to be?

••

I wanted each of the characters to be showing off their powers and abilities in some way, without banging into each other, and somehow having the Goblin grabbing Batman's cape seemed appropriate -- plus it gave me a nice, strong line cutting across that quadrant of the image.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I wanted each of the characters to be showing off their powers and abilities in some way

-----------------------------

This is one of your strengths -- an instinctual grasp for the essence of a character and the ability to sum it all up in one panel. I've mentioned before how in OHOTMU yours were always the best, most representative panels included, often included both 'cause and effect' when demonstrating someone's powers.

You perfectly capture the Goblin's capricious nature here.

Larry Varvel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Hey - I'm the lucky guy who commissioned this piece.  I'm new to the forum and this is my first JB commission.  I have to say that I am pretty pleased and really anxious for the original art to arrive so I can add it to my Batman gallery.  I have always thought that Batman would match up well with Spidey's rogues, and the two official Bats/Spidey crossovers only gave us Carnage (ugh) and the Kingpin (OK, but not at the top of my list)  This piece is even better that the picture I had in my head when I ordered the commission.  I hope some other commissioners order up more Batman goodness!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Welcome to the Forum, Larry!  Great commission - awesome idea!

Mike Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2010 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Larry are you by chance the Larry Varvel from all those issues of Supergirl written by Peter David? 

I figure you are since it says you are a pastor in your profile don't wish to assume. Glad you liked your first commission.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version